St J v Livi - 30th Sept

It was such a good first-half performance with a number of impressive performances across the pitch. Jephcott and Costelloe looked like a promising partnership. The former is pretty intelligent in his gameplay, although clearly still struggling with his fitness levels… Carey had a much more consistent display than usual and the midfield three of Max, Phillips and Sprangler all impressed me. I also thought the shape was working really well and actually makes a lot of sense for us. Our central defence is pretty dire, and our wing-back options uninspiring, so sticking an extra body in the centre of defence and selecting Carey and Wright as wide options to support the midfield and drop back if necessary, with Robinson in particular also getting forward and helping to support Carey down the left from time to time, was a gameplan that proved effective

We started the second half strongly, but Livingston started to take a bit more control in the minutes just before the penalty was given. Although Gordon gave the referee a decision to make, I think that decision was a terrible one. The game flipped on its head after that and we struggled to gain any control in the match. The red card was a deserved red card. Holt also should have seen red.

Im still not sure if we were good in the first half or Livingston were just dreadful. The attempts at playing out from the back were just bizarre. 

Its never, ever, a penalty but the way we just completely vanished from the game between that and the red wasnt great and you saw the difference in strength in depth by the end.

Ref just dominates the game to the point its hard to really judge anything though, truly abysmal.

5 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I’ve seen a few posts on Twitter/X from Saints fans who are really going in on Gordon for the penalty incident and not questioning the decision at all. Did it come across differently for those who were at the game?

Seemed like a pretty big standard foul and I thought it was outside box but it did happen quickly and I’ve no doubt VAR will show my skills of observation are off.

The red was needless and I thought it looked bad at the time. I was surprised to see it checked though. The shouts for a Holt red, genuine question, was that for two bookings or straight red challenge? It sounded like Saints fans unhappy when he was behind May but from my side it looked like Holt fully connected with the ball and May kicked him after. Could be wrong though as the above illustrates. 

We were dire in the first half but started playing a bit and I thought we could’ve nicked it. Also thought we’d find a way to lose too! Tense game.

Edited by crispy

8 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I’ve seen a few posts on Twitter/X from Saints fans who are really going in on Gordon for the penalty incident and not questioning the decision at all. Did it come across differently for those who were at the game?

Personally knew it was a pen right away, stupid decision to challenge the man instead of us blocking him from the pass.

10 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Live it looked like Gordon makes no attempt to do anything and the contact was made by the Livi player who then chucked himself to the deck. Hard to tell though as almost went to look away as "ah well that's going out"

Nouble chucked himself to the deck a few times after minimal contact. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

10 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

At the game it just looked like two players chasing a ball and clutching at each other, then Nouble goes down.

The red looked a stonewaller to me and ive no idea why the ref initially ignored it.

The red was a definite red. 

However, I was getting angry watching the var angles on the feed because they kept pausing it on a still image of the reverse angle where it looked like Gordon stamped on his leg in a way that would break it, whereas the video from the front looked like there was no contact. 

It wasn't until about the third or fourth viewing that I spotted the contact. It was there, it was too high, and it's a red. 

But the ref spent about twenty seconds looking at totally deceptive still images first which weren't really relevant to the actual contact, so if it had proven to have been a mistake based on that I'd have been furious. (but then it wasn't a mistake, albeit possibly still based on the nonsense angle.)

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

At the game it just looked like two players chasing a ball and clutching at each other, then Nouble goes down.

The red looked a stonewaller to me and ive no idea why the ref initially ignored it.

He ignored it because he was a utterly useless joke for an official. 

He was quite happy to give any tiny amount of contact from a shoulder to shoulder when one threw themselves to the deck though but played on from what turns out was a straight red!

Thought that first half was our best of the season by a long way. A good shape and actually created chances by passing through Livingston.

Its rare to see a Saints midfield dominate Livi’s, but we did exactly that. Yes Livi were poor, but we outplayed them all over the park in the first hour or so. I thought our defence looked comfortable.

The penalty killed us and Livingston got their tails up. I also think Phillips got a sore one around then and disappeared from the game after being excellent up to that point.

Pleased we hung in for a point, as a defeat would have been a sickener for the players, though I don’t think Livingston caused us too much bother.

Ref was a shambles all game.

It is points dropped at home against fellow strugglers, but I’m more optimistic than I was prior to today. We had attacking threat and looked like a team. That was the first time I’ve seen us outplay an opponent all season.

Liam Gordon absolutely saved us today. Penalty looked clear as day to me, stupid challenge to make as the ball was going out.

The red was a shocker of a tackle as well, we were struggling from open play so we’ve been gifted a point 

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Liam Gordon absolutely saved us today. Penalty looked clear as day to me, stupid challenge to make as the ball was going out.

The red was a shocker of a tackle as well, we were struggling from open play so we’ve been gifted a point 

He really is our Harry Maguire at this point.

32 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Looked a penalty to me, though I’m beside the scoreboard so angle probably isn’t the best. Stupid challenge to make regardless and could see it coming, almost happened in slow motion.