The Mo v The Wasps 7/10

Signs of improvement from us last week against Edinburgh. Hopefully Roy and Wales having a couple of training sessions with the rest of the squad will help too. Thought we played better without Sammon up top and actually tried to play football, so hopefully we'll stick to a similar team this week.

We've done pretty well away to Montrose recently, hopefully that'll continue on Saturday!

"Done pretty well" is the under statement of the season. We can't buy a win against you lot.
However, after a dismal start to the season, we are now putting some decent performances together. (Coincide with the departure of a certain No. 9 ???)
Painfully unlucky not to get a draw last week but, we are now playing with a lot of belief. We missed the flair of Miller Thomson last week so hopefully he is back for Saturday. Good to see the guys that have been missing through injury coming back into the mix.

Optimistic prediction that we beat our bogey team. 3-1 home win.

This is the most optimistic I have been before an Alloa game for a while, hopefully the hoodoo ends this week.

Confidence should be high despite the undeserved defeat last week.  Agree we missed Miller Thomson last week, fingers crossed he is back tomorrow.  The team/style of play/confidence is unrecognisable from that of the early league fixtures, going for a Thomson inspired 2-1 home win

Alloa certainly did play better last week and the new attackers did make a difference. They should improve further with games and if you then consider what further difference a fit Donnelly and Scougall could make then there would be genuine reasons for optimism. At the same time, we were playing a team who had 1 draw and 10 defeats from 11 competitive games and yet they could well have won the game - we were wide open at times - and while Brian Rice thought Alloa's performance was "first class", the Edinburgh City board considered a draw at the Recs as the final straw and promptly sacked their manager. 

Montrose seem to be going well and hard to see them getting a better opportunity to finally beat us. 

Edited by Waspie

1 hour ago, Waspie said:

Alloa certainly did play better last week and the new attackers did make a difference. They should improve further with games and if you then consider what further difference a fit Donnelly and Scougall could make then there would be genuine reasons for optimism. At the same time, we were playing a team who had 1 draw and 10 defeats from 11 competitive games and yet they could well have won the game - we were wide open at times - and while Brian Rice thought Alloa's performance was "first class", the Edinburgh City board considered a draw at the Recs as the final straw and promptly sacked their manager. 

Montrose seem to be going well and hard to see them getting a better opportunity to finally beat us. 

Of course the reality was somewhere in the middle.

We were certainly better last week, with most of that improvement being down to the introduction of more mobile forwards who linked up better with the midfield. Taylor Steven also seemed to revel in his deeper role and had his most influential game for Alloa.

The defence looked solid enough after a shaky-ish start. Will Rice stick with the same back three? Will he be tempted to bring Neill back in and/or move Taggs to RWB. Will Cammy or Deveny start on the left - the former had been doing well but the latter also did OK against Edinburgh. What if Scougs trained well this week?  I can't make the game, but I'll be waiting for the team announcement eagerly at 2.30pm on Saturday!

I couldn't make it up to Montrose today but to have only 8 points after the first quarter, to be 8 points off the promotion play offs, and level on points with the team in 9th is really concerning.

Wasn't there today and sounds like we played much better, especially in the first half. Ally Roy has done well in his first two games and seems to be a decent signing.

However IMO Rice should walk, the improvements last week were distorted by how bad Edinburgh City are, losing 4-1 at home to Kelty emphasising that.

No wins in 4, 3 wins in 13 competitive games this season, not good enough.

I don't like saying I told you so,but I told you so.Rice is an utter failure this season.We have to get rid,and put Andy Graham in charge.There a now rumours of unrest,players not happy with being played out of position,and poor gameplans.Might be complete rubbish,but it's obvious something's not right.If we stick with Rice league 2 football is inevitable.

Edited by Alloa 68

As much as I’m in favour of a change, can’t pin today on Rice. He can legislate for the shambolic defending for the first goal in particular. 

Played well again this week and thought we shaded the game. 

How neither of the handballs are given in the second half is beyond me. 

Alloa were probably better with the ball than us today but it's the goals that count and Montrose took their chances.

Some right belters in the Alloa crowd in the stand good to see them seething at the end.

Certainly not one for the purists. Alloa were the better team in the first half and we were fortunate to go in ahead at the break. More even second half  ut satisfying to nick one at the end after losing one last week. Big Kerr was a rock in defence but thought Gardyne ran the show. He was the only one putting his foot on the ball and trying to play a bit.

Nice to get a scrappy win over our bogey team.

1 hour ago, Alloa 68 said:

I don't like saying I told you so,but I told you so.Rice is an utter failure this season.We have to get rid,and put Andy Graham in charge.There a now rumours of unrest,players not happy with being played out of position,and poor gameplans.Might be complete rubbish,but it's obvious something's not right.If we stick with Rice league 2 football is inevitable.

Strange thing to say seeing as you’re on telling us so every time we lose. Clown.

Played pretty well today, we are miles better going forward when we’re keeping the ball on the deck and have to say Roy is making me eat my words, been very good for the first couple of games. Long may it continue. 

We are still a shambles at the back and I’m still of the opinion that the back 5 formation should be binned. Don’t even think it’s down to the personnel (the majority of the time) as they are so exposed by the fact we have no midfield to cover them. Felt roberts and hetherington were both good today but there’s only so much 2 players can do when they’re up against 4. 

Feel like a win might start a run as we’re not far away from being a decent side, would definitely be giving Rice another couple of games at the very minimum. Not that I think the board would be considering getting rid anyway.

Edited by AlloaAdam

To say a league defeat at Montrose is long overdue is an understatement. In that regard it's difficult to begrudge Mo the win, however from an Alloa perspective this has been a rotten first quarter.

Sadly a relegation scrap is looking very likely.

Edited by Sixtyten

Would echo what Kevchenko and AlloaAdam said, it was better than most of our performances and having some decent movement in attack and something like a settled team behind that for a wee spell has made a difference. The defending for both goals was grim though and I'd also favour a more compact back four. Ogayi didn't inspire confidence from crosses either and not sure that's helping the defence, although he did cope with everything else well enough. 

We were worth a point without doubt but can't begrudge Montrose a long overdue win over against us. A good win for them too given they didn't  play particularly well. 

I do believe we'll start to pick up points as there are too many decent players in the squad for us not to, and the league really isn't very good either. 8 points from the first quarter - and 2 points from the other part-time sides - is really abysmal stuff. 

Edited by Waspie

With Kev, Morrison, O'Donnell, Donnelly and Scougall to come back into the team, there is a good squad there that I am sure a better manager would have higher up the league.

It does look like the forward line has been improved but unfortunately the defence is shambolic and this should have been addressed by now. With the exception of Graham and Taggart, Rice signed the defenders and keepers so needs to take the blame for our overall defensive inadequacies.

Sore one to take today as we more than matched montrose for most of the game  but again failure to convert and defensive mistakes mas k the improvements , I think we will steer clear of relegation but i think the playoffs are beyond us this term .