France (A) - Tuesday 17/10/23

accies1874

7 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Agreed. Ahead of June 2024, Ferguson is the only player really deserving of a chance to show what he can do.

Beyond that, finding a third attacker to challenge Dykes and Adams would be helpful. Ideally a youngster like Doak or Conway to either challenge, or offer something different.

We know what Nisbet and Shankland are capable of, but they’re unlikely to push those two.

March should offer that opportunity. I’d like to see us play a friendly against a team that we’ll dominate possession (Latvia/Lithuania etc), and someone more on our level or who can cause us difficulties (Sweden/Albania/Slovakia).

The whole ‘play the very best opposition’ box has been ticked this last month. We’ll no doubt arrange a couple of friendlies in June like we did last time (Luxembourg/Netherlands).

Are there any teams we are going to dominate possession against at the Euros ?

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

It might be a bit of friendly overload as we've had the England friendly and we've got the France friendly. Two competitive qualification matches without much riding on them provides an opportunity to work on things. Two Friendlies in March and potentially a couple before the Tournament.

We need to get as many points as possible, so I doubt we can nor would SC change much.

It’ll be interesting to see what team the Norwegians turn up with. Their friendly is v The Faroes before us and our game is otherwise meaningless.

Can see Pep and Guardiola expecting little game time from their men.

9 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Can see Pep and Guardiola expecting little game time from their men.

Close!

In all seriousness I fully expect both of them to play at Hampden. Neither Man City or Arsenal play until the following Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Close!

In all seriousness I fully expect both of them to play at Hampden. Neither Man City or Arsenal play until the following Saturday. 

Ha.  

Probably is just wishful thinking, but I can easily see circumstances where Haaland isn’t quite fit to play.  With the way City are playing, the Saturday lunchtime game against Liverpool could be pretty significant.

Norway could consider it similarly to how we viewed our November 2019 games against Cyprus and Kazakhstan which did see a lot of call-offs but were considered as opportunities to build momentum before our play-off game/s in March (which didn't quite materialise). 

I see Scotland flew back to Glasgow between games although have already arrived in Lille. I had it in my mind that they'd travel direct to Lille from Seville and just stay and train somewhere either in Spain or France rather than go home in between.

20883977.jpg

https://snsgroupportal.co.uk/fotoweb/archives/5002-SNS-Images/?q=16%2F10%2F23

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Beyond that, finding a third attacker to challenge Dykes and Adams would be helpful. Ideally a youngster like Doak or Conway to either challenge, or offer something different.

We know what Nisbet and Shankland are capable of, but they’re unlikely to push those two.

Ross Stewart is now at Southampton with Adams and close to a return from injury 

Will be interesting to see how that pans out…..

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Ross Stewart is now at Southampton with Adams and close to a return from injury 

Will be interesting to see how that pans out…..

It'll also be interesting to see how Fraser Hornby gets on in the Bundesliga if he can stay fit for long enough to get a run of games. He looked a decent player in a poor team at Oostende last season, but seemed to get injured any time he looked like getting a good run of form going.

2 hours ago, greenockraver said:

Last time we played france away in a friendly... *shudder*

france.png

Was that Vogts first game where we were beaten 5-0? 

We have actually had one since then, but I won’t blame anyone for forgetting it. We lost 3-0 in Metz in June 2016, in a match which was a warm up for France for their home euros tournament. Olivier Giroud scored a double and his then Arsenal teammate Laurent Koscielny scored the other one.

Scotland lined up Marshall; Martin, Greer, Hanley, Robertson; Snodgrass, McArthur, Maloney, D.Fletcher, Ritchie; S.Fletcher.

Unused subs included seminal Scotland internationals like Danny Fox, Craig Bryson, Matt Phillips, Oliver Burke and Jack Hamilton. 

We also lost 1-0 to Italy in a match played in Malta (for some reason) during the same international window. 

Yeah in his press conference he mentioned making "a number of changes." Also spoke about some injury issues, but I'm not sure if the presser was before or after Hickey pulled out as there was no mention Max Johnston. 

Not sure how we'll line up but I'd go with something like this:

Gunn
Porteous Hendry McKenna
Patterson McTominay Gilmour Taylor
McGinn Adams Ferguson

Then give Brown an hour or so. 

Not fussed if Cooper or Souttar come in for McKenna. It's always worth watching Gilmour from the start, even if he might get bullied in this game, but I'm fine with McGregor plays instead. Never been sold on the idea of McGinn and Ferguson in the two advanced roles, however if there's ever a game where we need three solid outlets in the front line then this is it. 

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

1. Neil Sullivan

2. Christian Dailly

3. Stephen Crainey

4. Paul Lambert

5. David Weir

6. Gary Caldwell

7. Dougie Freedman

8. Dominic Matteo

9. Stevie Crawford

10. Colin Cameron

11. Neil McCann

You have Dailly and Weir mixed up, but top recognition all the same. I couldn't have named Crainey or Cameron if you'd given me all week to think about it.

13 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Yeah in his press conference he mentioned making "a number of changes." Also spoke about some injury issues, but I'm not sure if the presser was before or after Hickey pulled out as there was no mention Max Johnston. 

Not sure how we'll line up but I'd go with something like this:

Gunn
Porteous Hendry McKenna
Patterson McTominay Gilmour Taylor
McGinn Adams Ferguson

Then give Brown an hour or so. 

Not fussed if Cooper or Souttar come in for McKenna. It's always worth watching Gilmour from the start, even if he might get bullied in this game, but I'm fine with McGregor plays instead. Never been sold on the idea of McGinn and Ferguson in the two advanced roles, however if there's ever a game where we need three solid outlets in the front line then this is it. 

Could we another keeper given some game time tonight? I doubt from the start though.

While I'm not one for capping for the sake of it. IF Gunn gets injured towards the end of the season we could go into the Euros with the only goalkeeping options all uncapped. (if Gordon isn't fit by then)

Gunn has done well since coming in, often in games barely tested but looks assured. I also don't think the likes of Clark are anywhere near his level either. Let's just hope he does stay fit!