Spectacular

Richey Edwards

To go from not qualifying for a major tournament in 20+ years to qualifying for two out of the last three, is terrific.

What's more impressive for me is the way we've went from qualifying via two penalty shoot-outs, to breezing through a campaign and making it with two games to spare.

After 25 years of what seemed like steady decline, this current improvement is fucking wonderful.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Absolutely.ย  I'm old enough to know this.ย  I wish people would stop telling me blindingly obvious stuff.ย  I'm delighted that we've qualified and it's been a very successful campaign for us to do so this early.

Competent isn't heroic though.

That's all.

I'd say competent is Spain, Germany etc qualifying with 2 games to spare. For Scotland it's pretty special.

35 minutes ago, Ken Deans said:

Maybe some will remember how critical I was after the Euros 2 years back.ย 

This team changed my mind with the way we now approach games

Well done lads n well done Stevie

Doubt it m8.

Big difference seems to be the settled squad, the players seem buzzing to be coming away which is a far cry from other campaigns in last 25 years with call offs all over the place.

We've got good depth all over the park. The improvement in defence in particular helps a lot.

We're missing 4 full backs and can still put out likes of Patterson and Taylor.ย 

As much as Dykes and Adams have been great for us imagine sticking a proper striker in that team.ย 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think it's just not hysterical.

It's weird how unacceptable some find such a stance.

ย 

Its because you've come into a thread about celebrating qualification, seemingly desperate for an argument. And the point you've chosen to argue about - whether "heroic" is an acceptable choice of word - is an irrelevant non-issue. No one cares if its hyperbolic m8, its a thread about celebrating the campaign. Celebrations are hyperbolic and over-the-top by their very nature.

ย 

You're bringing the tone down of the place, and being extremely annoying whilst doing it.

ย 

ย 

31 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'd say competent is Spain, Germany etc qualifying with 2 games to spare. For Scotland it's pretty special.

Yes, it is.

That doesn't, however, mean our campaign was "full of absolute heroic performances".ย  That's the only bit I've taken any issue with.

29 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

ย 

Its because you've come into a thread about celebrating qualification, seemingly desperate for an argument. And the point you've chosen to argue about - whether "heroic" is an acceptable choice of word - is an irrelevant non-issue. No one cares if its hyperbolic m8, its a thread about celebrating the campaign. Celebrations are hyperbolic and over-the-top by their very nature.

ย 

You're bringing the tone down of the place, and being extremely annoying whilst doing it.

ย 

ย 

I do not know about MT but I am of the generation mentally scarred ( in a sporting sense ) by Argentina 1978 , New Zealand and Hansen smashing Miller v. USSR in 1972 , Steve Nicol 1986 et al.

I am absolutely ecstatic about us qualifying ( with 2 games to spare ) for Germany

Winning away in Norway ( legendary ) and Cyprus were excellent results.

Unlike Thursday night we have had some fortune with the referees in previous games

and we did not look that good v. England

Sorry - MT remembers Argentina 1978

Do you ?

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

Anyone else feel a bit weird qualifying like this. Getting through without even playing with games to spare.ย 

Don't get me wrong I'm chuffed to bits we did it and we deserve it, 5 wins on the bounce is not luck. Just feels a bit surreal today especially compared to the absolute scenes last time out.ย 

I don't feel half as good as I did after the Serbia game.ย  I'm obviously delighted but I thought after the Cyrpus game last month that we had done it.ย  Getting 15 out of 15 in only an 8 game group meant that either Norway or Spain would run out of games to catch us.ย  The Serbia game was more euphoric due to the way it came about, back to back penalty shoot out wins and all the drama that comes with it.

With 5 wins out of 5 we had done the hard bit, it was just a case of sitting back and waiting for one of the above nations to drop points.ย  Glorious.

Iย know where youโ€™re coming from, and I did find myself thinking it mustโ€™ve been a bit shit for those associated with Leicester to do it that way, but ultimately weโ€™ll get our party in Germany. Itโ€™s been a pretty memorable campaign though, can allow the actual qualification to be a bit underwhelming if we get more moments in June.ย 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Anyone else feel a bit weird qualifying like this. Getting through without even playing with games to spare.ย 

Don't get me wrong I'm chuffed to bits we did it and we deserve it, 5 wins on the bounce is not luck. Just feels a bit surreal today especially compared to the absolute scenes last time out.ย 

It's relaxed, I like it. The buzz will come as we get close to the tournament.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

I don't feel half as good as I did after the Serbia game.ย  I'm obviously delighted but I thought after the Cyrpus game last month that we had done it.ย  Getting 15 out of 15 in only an 8 game group meant that either Norway or Spain would run out of games to catch us.ย  The Serbia game was more euphoric due to the way it came about, back to back penalty shoot out wins and all the drama that comes with it.

With 5 wins out of 5 we had done the hard bit, it was just a case of sitting back and waiting for one of the above nations to drop points.ย  Glorious.

ย 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

ย 

It's always gonna feel better if you qualify after having played a game yourself. The nature of these 5 team groups, with teams having to sit some matchdays out means that sadly this was always had a good chance of happening.

ย 

I'd take this over Serbia everytime.ย  Just look at us below, in with the big guns as the 4th fastest team to qualify in Europe.ย ๐Ÿ˜Žย That gives me far more satisfaction than scrapping by in 2 penalty shoot-out wins in a backdoor play-offs run.

ย 

image.thumb.png.05e32c46e1fc3871a3e6caf14a3b3c81.png

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The first World Cup I remember well is the 1978 one in Argentina, so yes, I did.

ย 

How would that impact on how I define "heroic"?

ย 

Ah that explains it.ย 

I asked that as ive only really experienced this twice before (3 times now) and all else I remember re: qualification groups is failing. So just getting to the groups is like winning the thing in my perception .ย 

Edited by greenockraver

@Monkey Tennisย you can't fucking help yourself ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.

After the Denmark game when a'body was praising Adams you decided to make his performance you're own personal Spien Kopf (I hope I've spelled that correctly).ย 

I've said it before mate, but I'll say it again. Your Argentina trauma makes you incapable of trusting and fully enjoying a Scotland triumph.ย 

There's enough room in this hysteria for all of us. Join us!!!

ย