Spectacular

Richey Edwards

I maintain that the Tartan Army section is the most bonkers one on here.

I've really not said anything that can be considered especially controversial, let alone offensive or unacceptable.

Yet the red dots rain down.  It's genuinely bloody weird.  Batter on though if it pleases you.  It's as if the only way to enjoy good news for Scotland is to lose all perspective and go way OTT.  Anyone suggesting anything more measured needs burned as a witch.

This place makes the Covid thread look like a berth for the rational.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I've really not said anything that can be considered especially controversial, let alone offensive or unacceptable.

Yet the red dots rain down.  It's genuinely bloody weird.  Batter on though if it pleases you.  It's as if the only way to enjoy good news for Scotland is to lose all perspective and go way OTT.  Anyone suggesting anything more measured needs burned as a witch.

You turned a celebration into a debate about appropriate adjectives to be fair.

Also, this is the internet. This is what happens.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

At least you're not being a drama queen about it.

23 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

But it is okay to say that the campaign was only “competent”?!

I didn't say that though.  I instead described the campaign as "very successful".

I said that's what the majority of the performances were.    I exempted Spain at home and Norway from that description.

Which of the other performances merit a description of "heroic" in your view?  

Georgia, or Cyprus at Hampden perhaps?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

We've all been there, myself included - but no need to continue to debate whether our performance over the campaign has been heroic, successful or competent.

Performances in lots of individual matches, not the campaign as a whole.

You're right - there is no debate. 😉

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nah, just quit saying things like the campaign was "full of absolute heroic performances" when it's not really true.

Once more, that's all.  

Just being my usual awkward self.

Counter argument

1 )  Cyprus home - no first game slip ups.

2 )  Spain home - fantastic ( thanks ref. )

3 )  Norway away - iconic ( thanks ref. )

4 )  Georgia home - monsoon ( as            

opposed

to Oslo . The team stayed focused and played well.

5 ) Spain away - disappointing ( fo ref. )

Rather wonderfully BRILLIANT !

Edited by Ewanandmoreagain

10 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

3 )  Norway away - iconic ( thanks ref. )

Given the magnificence of the climax in Oslo, surely we can do better than describing it with the laziest and most meaningless of clichés?

Obviously I'm not just trying to start a fight here to get us away from the whole heroic/competent argument, which is feeling a bit stale now to be fair.

Guys, guys, guys - you're missing the point.

It's not a question of whether the campaign was heroic.  It's a question of whether it was "full of absolute (sic) heroic performances" . 

Now , I'm struggling to see what was heroic about any of those against sides other than Spain or Norway.  A certain collective heroism in not slipping up in any of them perhaps?  But a campaign full of absolute(ly) heroic performances "?  

I think you'll all agree that that's a stretch.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't say that though.  I instead described the campaign as "very successful".

I said that's what the majority of the performances were.    I exempted Spain at home and Norway from that description.

Which of the other performances merit a description of "heroic" in your view?  

Georgia, or Cyprus at Hampden perhaps?

Yes, you actually argued that the crucial win of the group, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat with two goals in 100 seconds within the last gasps of the game, wasn't, in fact, heroic. 

It most emphatically was, and remains so. 

The winner was even arguably a proper zero-to-hero moment, with one of the most unfancied members of the squad popping up to brilliantly finish off an exquisite move and make a lot of supporters in the stadium and watching on via TVs look silly for bemoaning the sub (not half as silly as you're making yourself look here, mind you).

Possibly the best moment I've had in a stadium in my adult life.