Spectacular

Richey Edwards

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

Yes, you actually argued that the crucial win of the group, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat with two goals in 100 seconds within the last gasps of the game, wasn't, in fact, heroic. 

It most emphatically was, and remains so. 

The winner was even arguably a proper zero-to-hero moment, with one of the most unfancied members of the squad popping up to brilliantly finish off an exquisite move and make a lot of supporters in the stadium and watching on via TVs look silly for bemoaning the sub (not half as silly as you're making yourself look here, mind you).

Possibly the best moment I've had in a stadium in my adult life. 

I don't think it was a heroic performance - I actually thought it was poor.  No denying that the unlikely turnaround was brilliant though.

Even if I concede a heroism of sorts there (and I wouldn't be proud of doing so), I'd still be struggling with "a campaign full of..."

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Guys, guys, guys - you're missing the point.

It's not a question of whether the campaign was heroic.  It's a question of whether it was "full of absolute (sic) heroic performances" . 

Now , I'm struggling to see what was heroic about any of those against sides other than Spain or Norway.  A certain collective heroism in not slipping up in any of them perhaps?  But a campaign full of absolute(ly) heroic performances "?  

I think you'll all agree that that's a stretch.

Heroic in not slipping up against " diddy " teams eg Cyprus away ?!

Having said that winning away to Georgia will definitely be heroic !

1 minute ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Heroic in not slipping up against " diddy " teams eg Cyprus away ?!

Yes, but that's a collective thing over a few games.  The actual performance in Cyprus itself was good, but was it "heroic"?  If so, I'm afraid the word has been hideously devalued.

I can't live with that.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

We were very average against Cyprus at home in the first game.  In the section I was in a lot of folk seemed quite bored.

How dare you!!!!

You self loathing fucking c**t!!

Am I doing it right?  I'm trying to get some greenies to offset the red.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think it was a heroic performance - I actually thought it was poor.  No denying that the unlikely turnaround was brilliant though.

Even if I concede a heroism of sorts there (and I wouldn't be proud of doing so), I'd still be struggling with "a campaign full of..."

Given the pant wetting going into the group and the game itself about Haaland, the fact they kept him really rather quiet and he only scored from a penalty would suggest that side of the performance wasn't poor at all. The defensive, off the ball side of the performance wasn't poor, from my recollection. I didn't feel under any real threat prior to the penalty and thought we ought to have made more of some first half forays (a few good blocks and Dykes being on his heels for a Robertson cross stick in the mind). 

The result itself, though, and the manner of it, surely places that firmly in the heroic category, even for you. Winning football matches is more than just possession domination, chances created etc, especially away internationals to your chief opponent in the group. Went a goal down, kept the mentality, kept belief, and turned it around at the death with sheer determination for the equaliser and then an excellent, excellent goal to win it.  

That's heroic. 

17 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yes, you actually argued that the crucial win of the group, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat with two goals in 100 seconds within the last gasps of the game, wasn't, in fact, heroic. 

It most emphatically was, and remains so. 

The winner was even arguably a proper zero-to-hero moment, with one of the most unfancied members of the squad popping up to brilliantly finish off an exquisite move and make a lot of supporters in the stadium and watching on via TVs look silly for bemoaning the sub (not half as silly as you're making yourself look here, mind you).

Barring something else even more spectacular (positive or negative), that moment is what is going to define Kenny McLean's entire career. In 40 or 50 years people will still remember him for that goal.

23 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Barring something else even more spectacular (positive or negative), that moment is what is going to define Kenny McLean's entire career. In 40 or 50 years people will still remember him for that goal.

Aye, definitely. 

I didn't think he'd top his two penalties in the playoff shoot-outs, but he blew them out the water with that goal. 

A seminal moment (you can say that again, etc etc)

I think when the draw was made almost everyone seemed pretty optimistic, it was a kind draw. Georgia and Cyprus have never and will never qualify for anything and Norway haven't qualified for anything since 2000. Most Scotland fans and indeed neutrals would have fancied us to finish second, and we will finish second, good. Not sure if that counts as spectacular or not, I'd save adjectives like that for us actually making an impact at major tournament.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

I think when the draw was made almost everyone seemed pretty optimistic, it was a kind draw. Georgia and Cyprus have never and will never qualify for anything and Norway haven't qualified for anything since 2000. Most Scotland fans and indeed neutrals would have fancied us to finish second, and we will finish second, good. Not sure if that counts as spectacular or not, I'd save adjectives like that for us actually making an impact at major tournament.

Then you're clearly nothing but a fool who sucks the joy out of everything etc.

Although there may be more apposite terms, I don't think it's unreasonable to describe the qualification as a whole as being heroic - we've breezed easily through a qualifying campaign for the first time in our entire footballing history after all. But the team perfomance at home to Spain and the cameo by the Mayor of Norwich against Norway are the only performances that I think really deserve the description, so I'm with MT on that, joyless doomsayer though he may be.

40 minutes ago, Lex said:

None of this happened. Most folk were unhappy with Norway from Pot 3. And looking back at the pots they were definitely one of the strongest looking teams in their pot at the time, as were Spain.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Georgia will most likely qualify for this tournament

Wouldn't bet against Norway joining them

No one said it was a kind draw. Norway were the clear best 3rd side, Georgia the clear best 4th