Like for like replacements

Prices are mad just now on groceries. I can replace certain items but things I can't find with as good as taste include:

Frosties : supermarket own brands fall quite a bit behind.

Salad cream : nothing comes close to Heinz.

Hit me with your best replacement (cheaper!) replacements to these and add your own into the thread.

Thank you.

Edited by Derry Alli

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

A couple of years ago, my ex ordered bacon in her online supermarket shop and they sent bacon flavoured crisps as a "like for like" replacement.

Asda once sent a tin of chilli con carne as a replacement for hot chilli powder. My ex accepted this.

As a gentleman who's been known to enjoy a cake or three, the price rise in Mr Kipling products from around £1 to £2.50 has been a step too far. Even for a glutton like me. 

I've switched to the supermarket own brands and, more often than not, they're absolutely fine. 

I can hear myself turning into my own mum and telling my yet to be convinced kids that " they're all made in the same factory".

46 minutes ago, PWL said:

As a gentleman who's been known to enjoy a cake or three, the price rise in Mr Kipling products from around £1 to £2.50 has been a step too far. Even for a glutton like me. 

I've switched to the supermarket own brands and, more often than not, they're absolutely fine. 

I can hear myself turning into my own mum and telling my yet to be convinced kids that " they're all made in the same factory".

Mr Kipling cakes are shite. 

4 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Mr Kipling cakes are shite. 

12 Ruel St for this kind of nonsense talk. 

I'll take no food comments from someone who talks about flat sausage and chippers. 

Edited by PWL

The quality of meat, fruit and veg in supermarkets has been shite for a while now IMO. We started bulk buying our meat online and it's made a huge difference. We paid £70 for our last hamper and it'll last us the guts of 2 months. I'm yet to find a suitable fruit and veg supplier mind you, there is one shop that does a veggie box locally but it can be a bit pricey. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm yet to find a suitable fruit and veg supplier mind

Go to your local farmers market and see if anyone there does deliveries.

Seen plenty folk complaining about fruit and veg quality as if there would be no change in quality when a country so reliant on imports decides to slow down the import procedures. Of course the quality is going to take a dip and probably will continue to decline before eventually stabilising at the low level.

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

I need to have a sugar rush during my day, so always keep chocolate kicking about my van.  Switched to this which tasted funny for a week or so, but now totally adjusted to it.

image.png.7dc843f77a930b6a02ccf47e76d66b60.png

You should try dark chocolate for a healthier version.IMG_4347.thumb.jpeg.c980614641e0a9e7df7cf6cb9c9e4ddd.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Gnash said:

HP sauce.  No other brand or unbranded comes close.

Lurpack unsalted spreadable.  It's not that the replacement own brands aren't up to much, it's that they don't exist at all.

Danpak from Lidl, don't bother trying it, it's shite.

5 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I need to have a sugar rush during my day, so always keep chocolate kicking about my van.  Switched to this which tasted funny for a week or so, but now totally adjusted to it.

image.png.7dc843f77a930b6a02ccf47e76d66b60.png

Don't mind this, tastes like advent calander chocolate.

1 minute ago, velo army said:

Beans. For years I've just been adding paprika and chilli sauce to them so it doesn't matter if it's Heinz or Kwiksave own brand, just cook them down with spices and chilli sass. Marvellous.

I recall Lynda Bellingham suggesting adding an OXO cube to beans.

If anyone likes iced coffee, Lidl and Aldi versions are usually less than half the price of the named brands.