Like for like replacements

On 16/10/2023 at 06:41, Derry Alli said:

Prices are mad just now on groceries. I can replace certain items but things I can't find with as good as taste include:

Frosties : supermarket own brands fall quite a bit behind.

Salad cream : nothing comes close to Heinz.

Hit me with your best replacement (cheaper!) replacements to these and add your own into the thread.

Thank you.

Well, you could replace the salad cream with f**k all, as it's rank in the first place.

It’s struck me , reading this thread that i barely buy branded stuff at all and haven’t for ages. I do have exceptions.

There is no suitable cheap substitute for koka noodles (spicy or Tom yam, not fucking curry) because all suitable substitutes are more expensive. 

There are no adequate substitutes for encona chilli sauce or maggi chilli ketchup, there are adequate but sub optimal substitutes for flying goose sriracha, and most own brand sweet chilli sauce is as good as blue dragon. I like chilli sauce. 

The only other branded thing I buy is toothpaste. Anyone use own brands for that?

Aldi is an absolute fucking bin of a place, I'm done with it as of today.

Just bought a pack of Strawberries with a best before of 20th October. Whole pack in the bin as soon as I got home as two of them were completely rotted. Not for the first time either. Constantly have milk from them turning sour well before the due date as well. 

Tesco it is.

40 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Aldi is an absolute fucking bin of a place, I'm done with it as of today.

Just bought a pack of Strawberries with a best before of 20th October. Whole pack in the bin as soon as I got home as two of them were completely rotted. Not for the first time either. Constantly have milk from them turning sour well before the due date as well. 

Tesco it is.

I'll give you the milk scenario but don't you look at fruit and veg before you buy it?

25 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Well I think I would need Xray vision in order to know that there are 2 rotted strawberries in amongst a pack of them.

Why’d you throw the rest away? Bit wasteful. There’s hungry kids would have loved those strawberries.

Haven’t read the thread, so apologies if already posted - the Aldi versions (rip offs?) of Snickers, Mars Bars, and Twix, are, in my opinion, better. I think their Snickers is a ‘Titan’, and their Twix is a ‘Jive’. All I know is I genuinely think all three Aldi versions are even better than the real thing*

* I think Aldi’s version of Bono and U2 is Bonox & U3. Maybees.

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

Because rot and mould spreads like covid on fruits. The whole pack is compromised if even one of them is fucked.

I just throw out rancid ones and cut out overripe bits and they're fine. 

Aldi fresh produce does need extra qa/qc checks when you're buying it though. Last year i just spotted a daddy long legs in my salad before i ate it. Yesterday i had to rinse spiders web off grapes before eating them. The wife found the spider in there later on. 

I wouldn’t hold out too much hope for tesco though. I almost bought a two week out of date wedge of Brie in one before. Their fresh stuff is generally better. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Aldi fresh produce does need extra qa/qc checks when you're buying it though. Last year i just spotted a daddy long legs in my salad before i ate it. Yesterday i had to rinse spiders web off grapes before eating them. The wife found the spider in there later on. 

Well, that's that. I'm never eating fresh food again. 

Pre-processed all the way from now on. 

The one that's really been boiling my piss for a while now with fresh produce and that is impossible to tell before buying, is potatoes with black spots. We go through a lot of spuds, and seem to spend a lot of time hacking bits off that are gubbed, or discarding altogether. Never seemed to be anywhere near as bad until the last year or so, and doesn't matter which supermarket or type of tattie. What's changed there? Just bad handling, storage etc., or a cheapening of farming methods? Either way it's a pain in the hole.

44 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

The one that's really been boiling my piss for a while now with fresh produce and that is impossible to tell before buying, is potatoes with black spots. We go through a lot of spuds, and seem to spend a lot of time hacking bits off that are gubbed, or discarding altogether. Never seemed to be anywhere near as bad until the last year or so, and doesn't matter which supermarket or type of tattie. What's changed there? Just bad handling, storage etc., or a cheapening of farming methods? Either way it's a pain in the hole.

Ask on the Celtic thread. They'll  have potato disease experts I'm sure.