Like for like replacements

11 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I recall Lynda Bellingham suggesting adding an OXO cube to beans.

If anyone likes iced coffee, Lidl and Aldi versions are usually less than half the price of the named brands.

Aye that wouldn't hurt either. I tend to think that any differences between branded and unbranded products can be mitigated by the addition of spices and seasonings.

*Unbranded stock cubes are just as good 😎.

I work for tesco and so I've seen my fair share of these.

My favourite was someone had ordered San Pellegrino which is an italian sparkling water, they receive San Miguel lager instead and only had to pay the price of a 4 pack of water.

The price of Bisto is extortionate now, around £2.00 for 190g.

Aldi's Quixo is excellent and only £1.15 for 300g which is big difference especially if you're OK with some of their other own brands, which we are.

Only problem is you can't help buying some random Scuba gear or motorbike socks while you're there.

Edited by eindhovendee
Premature posting.

13 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Aldi's Quixo is excellent and only £1.15 for 300g which is big difference especially if you're OK with some of their other own brands, which we are.

Honestly I was one of those people who avoided aldi and lidl until recently due to it having the image of "the cheap place" as I thought everything would remind me of the shitty cheap equivalents you used to get from corner shops.

The Lidl bakery has been a lifechanger for me now that I've relinquished my supermarket snobbery.

I hardly drink tea or coffee, but drink Bovril. The price change in recent years is stunning.

Used to be between £2.50 & £4.00 everywhere.

Tesco/Morrison/Iceland and everywhere else is now £4.00 - £5.00 a jar.

Only place cheaper is Poundland @ £3.25 a jar.

Cannot find a replacement, only one I've seen is Morrisons own and it rank. 

1 minute ago, MEADOWXI said:

I hardly drink tea or coffee, but drink Bovril. The price change in recent years is stunning.

Used to be between £2.50 & £4.00 everywhere.

Tesco/Morrison/Iceland and everywhere else is now £4.00 - £5.00 a jar.

Only place cheaper is Poundland @ £3.25 a jar.

Cannot find a replacement, only one I've seen is Morrisons own and it rank. 

I got a jar from home bargains for under £3 about 6 months ago.  I think it was one of their opportunistic lines of stock rather than  something they stock all the time though. They do often have stacks of plastic cups but i assume they are shit. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I got a jar from home bargains for under £3 about 6 months ago.  I think it was one of their opportunistic lines of stock rather than  something they stock all the time though. They do often have stacks of plastic cups but i assume they are shit. 

Will look there again, only buy the wee glass jars

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

They are shit. 

Undissolvable granules of sand. 

Tesco Organic salted butter is the best you can get at the South Road store. Annoyingly you have to to go the Kingsway or Riverside stores to get Kerrygold these days. Same if you want to get pak choi. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

1 minute ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Tesco Organic salted butter is the best you can get at the South Road store. Annoyingly ou have to to go the Kingsway or Riverside stores to get Kerrygold these days. Same if you want to get pak choi. 

Can you not buy this at Matthews?