Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

3 hours ago, Nesta said:

Hello new member first post.

I still would probably have Brown ahead of Shankland and think Clarke may well too.

Shankland's form is excellent but the Scottish Premiership is a really awful level and not much of a barometer of anything. Plus, Brown's physical attributes are far better suited to Scotland who generally only play one up top. He also can play wide so offers more versatility.

Shankland's best chance is the fact that the times he might be used by Scotland would be when we were chasing a game late on and might want to go to two up front. So that would suit him better. Shankland, however, is best facing goal where our strikers generally need to be good with their back to goal and that suits Brown much better.

With only a 23 man squad Brown's physicality and versatility put him ahead of Shankland for me. Shankland scoring goals against St Johnstone and St Mirren doesn't change that.

I mean from what I’ve seen Brown isn’t remotely a good back to goal striker and has absolutely no physicality about him - Shankland has plenty of that and can hold the ball up too. 

Brown obviously has plenty of pace, and can offer something in behind but we haven’t seen much of it yet. 

2 hours ago, Alan Twelve said:

I've got to say that red-dotting someone's first post is a pretty classy move and not in the least a bit mental.

I suspect the red dot might be because it looks suspiciously like general disarray/dryhorce/mubtumbo back to "make PnB great again"

Brown may well be the better footballer overall, although I haven't seen anything to suggest it.

But he's essentially just a poor man's Dykes/Adam. We've already got someone that can do the "play up front on your own, run about and create space for others" and those two actually score now and again.

All Brown adds to the squad is being able to make a "like for like" sub at the 70/80 minute mark to replace tired legs. Shankland offers something a bit different to what we have so I think Shankland brings more to the squad than Brown does.

7 hours ago, Nesta said:

Hello new member first post.

I still would probably have Brown ahead of Shankland and think Clarke may well too.

Shankland's form is excellent but the Scottish Premiership is a really awful level and not much of a barometer of anything. Plus, Brown's physical attributes are far better suited to Scotland who generally only play one up top. He also can play wide so offers more versatility.

Shankland's best chance is the fact that the times he might be used by Scotland would be when we were chasing a game late on and might want to go to two up front. So that would suit him better. Shankland, however, is best facing goal where our strikers generally need to be good with their back to goal and that suits Brown much better.

With only a 23 man squad Brown's physicality and versatility put him ahead of Shankland for me. Shankland scoring goals against St Johnstone and St Mirren doesn't change that.

Hiya Jacob, you looking forward to the game against Sheffield Utd, pal?

13 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I suspect the red dot might be because it looks suspiciously like general disarray/dryhorce/mubtumbo back to "make PnB great again"

It definitely isn't. It's a reasonable post. Clarke has said that our strikers are there to provide goals for the midfield. Shankland doesn't have that in his locker but could be good off the bench if we need a goal.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

It definitely isn't. It's a reasonable post. Clarke has said that our strikers are there to provide goals for the midfield. Shankland doesn't have that in his locker but could be good off the bench if we need a goal.

At international level it's fair to say that aspect of his game is unproven, but he certainly has it in his locker for Hearts. The through ball he played for Vargas the other night being the latest example.

Also, sincere question, does Brown have it in his locker? I thought he injected a bit of energy when he came on against France but he was very poor with his back to goal against Norway. I've not seen much of Luton, but does he not tend to play out wide or alongside a more traditional number 9 rather than leading the line?

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

At international level it's fair to say that aspect of his game is unproven, but he certainly has it in his locker for Hearts. The through ball he played for Vargas the other night being the latest example.

Also, sincere question, does Brown have it in his locker? I thought he injected a bit of energy when he came on against France but he was very poor with his back to goal against Norway. I've not seen much of Luton, but does he not tend to play out wide or alongside a more traditional number 9 rather than leading the line?

I have no idea as I haven't seen Brown play at all. I was just responding to my esteemed colleague who dared impugn the integrity of a nascent poster. 

I take your point about Shankland having the ability to hold up and be creative. I obviously haven't seen him much either so I'm happy to be put straight here.

8 hours ago, velo army said:

Shankland is a very good link player at Premiership level, obviously we don't really know how that translates at a higher level, but he's far more than just a poacher. His biggest issue is a lack of pace.

On 09/02/2024 at 15:50, Hendricks said:

Laughably inaccurate post by Nesta! Made me giggle though

🤣🤣🤣

Is it particularly outlandish?  I can quite see Brown on the plane, and if he is, it’ll be in place of Shankland. 

This thread has completely outed Pie and Bovril as being infested by complete morons which I’m actually kind of upset about. I genuinely, rightly or wrongly, believed there was a balance and indeed a knowledge but f**k me thats been exposed! 

Anyone, whatever their club allegiance,  who thinks the total nonentity Brown will be in a 23 man Scotland squad ahead of Shankland should literally give up watching football. I will give my tickets to all 3 games to you fannies if Brown is in the squad and LS isn’t (caveat both are fit). You can make a charitable contribution if you have the balls which I very much doubt. 

I think it actually says more about your inability to make an argument beyond just lashing out and calling things "ludicrous" or similar. Shankland is probably ahead of Brown, but it's not the done deal you think it is. I'd be amazed if Shankland isn't in the squad for March, but Brown probably will be too and both will likely get minutes if they are.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think it actually says more about your inability to make an argument beyond just lashing out and calling things "ludicrous" or similar. Shankland is probably ahead of Brown, but it's not the done deal you think it is. I'd be amazed if Shankland isn't in the squad for March, but Brown probably will be too and both will likely get minutes if they are.

Where does that leave Ryan Fraser who is admittedly now in the wildcard category but is having a good season with Southampton and who I’d personally trust more to add a dimension than Brown if we needed to tear it up a bit

Id like to see him and Shankland given a chance in March

1 hour ago, MarkoP said:

Where does that leave Ryan Fraser who is admittedly now in the wildcard category but is having a good season with Southampton and who I’d personally trust more to add a dimension than Brown if we needed to tear it up a bit

Id like to see him and Shankland given a chance in March

It will be interesting to see if Ryan Fraser is selected next month, if he’s not selected it’s down to the spat between Himself & Steve Clarke. 
He merits a call up on current form over Jacob Brown you’d have thought? 

Shankland now a shoe-in for a call up, I’m not saying a starter but defo in the squad……. 

On 09/02/2024 at 12:37, Gordon EF said:

Brown may well be the better footballer overall, although I haven't seen anything to suggest it.

But he's essentially just a poor man's Dykes/Adam. We've already got someone that can do the "play up front on your own, run about and create space for others" and those two actually score now and again.

All Brown adds to the squad is being able to make a "like for like" sub at the 70/80 minute mark to replace tired legs. Shankland offers something a bit different to what we have so I think Shankland brings more to the squad than Brown does.

The level that the play is vastly different, that's thoroughly conclusive evidence. Shankland will never get anywhere near that level. There is a reason Clarke picks like for like players in this area, that is the type of player Scotland need to play up front.

Shankland's form is impressive but he's really just a poor man's Kris Boyd and Scotland couldn't really accommodate him either so never got the best out of him. 

Shankland is playing with a lot of confidence just now and that is big for a striker but I still would have Brown ahead of him and think Clarke will too.

24 minutes ago, Nesta said:

The level that the play is vastly different, that's thoroughly conclusive evidence. Shankland will never get anywhere near that level. There is a reason Clarke picks like for like players in this area, that is the type of player Scotland need to play up front.

Shankland's form is impressive but he's really just a poor man's Kris Boyd and Scotland couldn't really accommodate him either so never got the best out of him. 

Shankland is playing with a lot of confidence just now and that is big for a striker but I still would have Brown ahead of him and think Clarke will too.

Your issue is that you are just spouting nonsense in terms of Shankland being a “poor Boyd.”

Brown isn’t anything like Adams or Dykes either.

26 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Your issue is that you are just spouting nonsense in terms of Shankland being a “poor Boyd.”

Brown isn’t anything like Adams or Dykes either.

How is it nonsense?  Boyd is obviously a better player. They both rattled them in at Scottish Premiership level but had deficiencies in their game that meant they weren't ideally suited for Scotland. 

Dykes and Adams aren't particularly alike either but they have attributes, as does Brown, that lend themselves quite well to playing up front for us. That's why the manager has seen them as his three first choices for a while now.