Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

Just now, 2426255 said:

So if England have announced theirs when are Scotland planning to do ours?

Others have already done it - England seem to have been forced into it through the media leaks.

Looked more like an X-Factor audition than a team announcement.

Wondering if Gordon maybe just didn't suit the role the 3rd choice keeper in a tournament fills e.g be there for strikers to have extra finishing training after normal session is done. Is he able to train every day for example

3 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Others have already done it - England seem to have been forced into it through the media leaks.

Looked more like an X-Factor audition than a team announcement.

I know, I was thinking more like big brother. Jack and Harry have left the big brother house. Pathetic.

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

That England squad looks quite poor from back to middle imo. As poor as I've seen it tbh.

Aye. I think the last Euros was their chance to win something really and they blew it.

As for us, I'd have taken Gordon over Kelly. I think for 3rd choice keeper game time headed into the tournament isn't a huge thing as they're unlikely to play anyway. 

I wonder if he told players before the qualifiers that he'd reward those who helped along the way if we qualified. Kelly might be great in the dressing room and Clarke felt it would be breaking his word to drop him at the end?

He'll possibly/probably explain it tonight/tomorrow. 

32 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

The boy Anderson appears to have made an absolute c**t of it. He could have been off to the Euros with us. He doesn't have a hope in hell of getting in that England Squad anytime soon.

Maybe he's decided he's actually English and doesn't want to play for us. Couldn't fault him if so.

There was no way two Hearts goalies were going, Gordon played 10 times is he's lucky. 

I'm not worried as 3rd choice goalie is basically waterboy.

6 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Memories of Alan Rough sunbathing behind the goals in Mexico.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

My congratulations to @Skyline Drifter if this turns out to be true. Never wavered, not for a second.

I never understood the universal assumption that it would be Gordon. I can't take credit for "never wavering" though. I picked Gordon in my own Predict the Squad thread basically because I wanted it to be true. Even there though I caveated it with it being a choice with the heart not the head.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Don’t understand that decision at all unless he’s looked awful in training. Kelly is dreadful and just signed up to be a backup at Rangers. Surely you at least take him as a good dressing room guy and mentor for the younger guys. 

I don't really understand why everybody to a man thought a guy with 7 starts in 18 months was going to get picked over a guy playing every week who has been a squad mainstay for years.

26 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

You understand the logic of not picking a 41 year old who has only played seven times since returning from a leg break, with question marks over how good he still is. It's easy to see why bombing out a goalkeeper who has a decade or more left to accommodate that 41 year old as backup when this summer will probably be the end of his international career either way could be daft. No need to piss off someone who'll still be around to be picked in future when neither of them are likely to play a game either way.

The flaw in that logic is that the existing third choice he'd be replacing is a dreadful goalkeeper who should also never get another Scotland cap on account of being utterly shite, so who cares if he's upset by Gordon being selected instead?

However in the unlikely event we got as far as needing to pick Kelly we'd have been able to officially draft Gordon in anyway, he'll probably still go to the tournament to train for that reason and I'm fairly confident that if it came to that - eg Clark is injured in training then Gunn gets sent off - Gordon would still get on the park before Kelly. To be honest I'd still rather have Gordon as second choice as well but it's clear that Clark is now, and that's understandable when you look at how little Gordon has played. Doing it this way is just managing the morale of the squad regulars really.

First para completely agree. Pretty sure I posted more or less the same a week or so back in one of the threads.

Second para not disagreeing an awful lot either.

Third para, I'm not having it that if he does pick Kelly over Gordon and then has to call up Gordon anyway, that he'll play.

Basically Stevie Naismith has had 5 months of watching both Clark and Gordon play and has clearly decided Clark's the better. If Stevie Clarke really wanted Gordon on the plane he'd have played him against Northern Ireland (and probably Gibraltar although I accept we could have played me in goal for that one) to get him more game time. When he didn't get even half a game in March I feared he was 4th pick.

Posted (edited)

If it is Gordon that gets cut do you still think he’ll bother to travel with the squad?
I don’t, given as some said he’s a decade older than most of the squad so he isn’t going to Germany just to join in their banter etc. does he not also have quite a young family?  He’s also far more likely than Kelly to be able to make some dosh doing tv or radio punditry if he isn’t there.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

13 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

There was no way two Hearts goalies were going, Gordon played 10 times is he's lucky. 

He’ll somehow flap that into the bottom corner as well. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Here’s hoping second choice is as well.  

Gordon getting 24 was pretty indicative, I think.   I’m thinking Souttar might be the one to miss out. 

Edited by Savage Henry

Liam Kelly is nowhere near good enough to be in the squad. You may as well take McCrorie if you're looking to the future, as Kelly is about to take his position as permanent benchwarmer. 

It's a small point, because surely he won't have to play, but I'd still feel more comfortable if he was left behind. 

Shame for gordon if this is how it ends for him. As soon as he picked up that injury I knew that was him. Hes been a brilliant player for Scotland but time and injuries catch up with everyone.

Wasn't long ago we had the likes of @craigkillieclaiming he would come back from injury as number 1 🤣. And yes ill quote it if you want.