Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

Mates are being a pain but not commiting to even say they will ho in theory.  While we have put in for the ballot we doubt we will get tickets. Just gonna hold fire and see what happens. 

I think some accommodations will free up a wee bit once draw is made, fans of other teams will no doubt have done what you did but it is gonna be a free for all for flights snd accommodation.

Travelling to Munich 15th to 20th June with a group of mates. Hotel booked. We've applied for tickets to games in Munich and Stuttgart during that period. None of us are in the SSC so tickets to a Scotland game were always unlikely. Happy to go for the atmosphere and experience.

Edited by Swarley

We have booked flights out to Cologne via  Heathrow on 15 June. Hotels booked in Cologne and Düsseldorf 4 nights in each city before heading back. 

We have applied for tickets in Cologne, Dortmund, Düsseldorf, Gelsenkirchen, and Frankfurt.  Hopefully Scotland have a game or two in one of those cities during that time. 

Not long now before the draw and the excitement is slowly building. 

On 26/10/2023 at 11:16, thistledo said:

I think Berlin is actually a decent location for stuff to do football aside, one of the main reasons we went for it, cancellable though so if no games are anywhere near it will probs try a non host town / city as well. I couldn't be arsed with fans partying every night in a city anyway, sound old as f**k and I'm not even that old. 

An advantage of staying in the capital is that there are direct trains to nearly all the venue cities, most of them not much longer than getting to Hampden from Inverness, or some Highland League awaydays. Looks like there are plenty night trains too for late kick offs or where the hotels are all booked up for overnight stays, or extortionate. Fastest times below to main railway stations.

Leipzig 1.15 direct
Hamburg 1.45 direct
Dortmund 3.30 direct
Munich 4 direct
Frankfurt 4 direct
Gelsenkirchen 4 one change
Düsseldorf 4.15 direct
Cologne 4.45 one change
Stuttgart 5.30 direct

Edited by welshbairn

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

An advantage of staying in the capital is that there are direct trains to nearly all the venue cities, most of them not much longer than getting to Hampden from Inverness, or some Highland League awaydays. Looks like there are plenty night trains too for late kick offs or where the hotels are all booked up for overnight stays, or extortionate. Fastest times below to main railway stations.

Leipzig 1.15 direct
Hamburg 1.45 direct
Dortmund 3.30 direct
Munich 4 direct
Frankfurt 4 direct
Gelsenkirchen 4 one change
Düsseldorf 4.15 direct
Cologne 4.45 one change
Stuttgart 5.30 direct

Hadn't actually realised the likes of Munich and Frankfurt were only 4 hours. I'm a not a train nerd or anything but quite enjoy a train journey, couple that with an away day, brilliant. 

Where did you find this out from? I think previously I'd seen it was over 5hrs to Munich. 

3 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Hadn't actually realised the likes of Munich and Frankfurt were only 4 hours. I'm a not a train nerd or anything but quite enjoy a train journey, couple that with an away day, brilliant. 

Where did you find this out from? I think previously I'd seen it was over 5hrs to Munich. 

Just google maps, there are trains at other times that take longer, and you have to add on the times to get to the stadiums from the main stations.

image.thumb.png.53f2ae749f1d32472b8b5564dc7d1d48.png

8 minutes ago, thistledo said:

IMG_1201.thumb.jpeg.70a8b68861d2925c257d35de73ed7fcc.jpeg

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Just google maps, there are trains at other times that take longer, and you have to add on the times to get to the stadiums from the main stations.

image.thumb.png.53f2ae749f1d32472b8b5564dc7d1d48.png

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

IMG_1201.thumb.jpeg.70a8b68861d2925c257d35de73ed7fcc.jpeg

I must have maybe been looking at slow trains somehow! Cheers troops. 

On 08/11/2023 at 00:15, Swarley said:

Travelling to Munich 15th to 20th June with a group of mates. Hotel booked. We've applied for tickets to games in Munich and Stuttgart during that period. None of us are in the SSC so tickets to a Scotland game were always unlikely. Happy to go for the atmosphere and experience.

In same boat but doing Cologne. Worst case scenario we'll be in fan zones in host cities at a major tournament. Thoroughly looking forward to it, obviously Scotland being nearby would be tremendous but im prepared for that not being the case too

Will fly to an airport outside of Germany but with good connections and use train/bus from there. I won't get tickets via SFA, though I have applied for 4 matches in Stuttgart, Munich, Frankfurt and Dusseldorf in that order via UEFA (Only have a week off mid June), and should hear back next week if I've been successful for any of them. My Plan is if I get all 4 is fly to Basel Euro airport and back via Amsterdam/Dusseldorf/Eindhoven/Brussels Charleroi (which ever is cheapest) to make best use of time and money.

As for accommodation. I've booked hotels in 3 of the cities with free cancellation. For Frankfurt, I've family close by so will stay with them if I get the Frankfurt match. 

There is easy train connections from Basel to Stuttgart via Freiburg, Stuttgart to Munich, Munich to Frankfurt and Mainz (where family is near Frankfurt to Dusseldorf via Köln)

Working when the group stages are on so have applied for a couple of tickets for two knock out games on 29th and 30th June. One in Dortmund and one in Düsseldorf. If we manage to get tickets for either, we’ll fly out to Dusseldorf or Dortmund and I’ve booked the Premier Inn in Wuppertal for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. It’s £190 for the three nights, no pre-payment, and whilst I know not a lot about Wuppertal it seems to be semi in the middle of Düsseldorf and Dortmund. Truthfully, as long as it’s a place to sleep it’ll do us fine.

I know it’s not strictly Scotland related travel to Germany (and it all depends on getting tickets) but as my Dad’s 70 next year, I felt it could be a nice wee trip to do with him. Beats New Douglas Park to watch Clyde anyway.

Edited by SReplay

3 hours ago, SReplay said:

Working when the group stages are on so have applied for a couple of tickets for two knock out games on 29th and 30th June. One in Dortmund and one in Düsseldorf. If we manage to get tickets for either, we’ll fly out to Dusseldorf or Dortmund and I’ve booked the Premier Inn in Wuppertal for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. It’s £190 for the three nights, pre-payment, and whilst I know not a lot about Wuppertal it seems to be in the semi in the middle of Düsseldorf and Dortmund. Truthfully, as long as it’s a place to sleep it’ll do us fine.

I know it’s not strictly Scotland related travel to Germany (and it all depends on getting tickets) but as my Dad’s 70 next year, I felt it could be a nice wee trip to do with him. Beats New Douglas Park to watch Clyde anyway.

We’ve booked the same hotel for the group stage. Not sure if Wuppertal has much to it (aside from having a monorail) but it’s certainly well placed for getting to host cities. Under an hour to Düsseldorf, Dortmund and Cologne and under two hours to Gelsenkirchen and Frankfurt.

20 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

We’ve booked the same hotel for the group stage. Not sure if Wuppertal has much to it (aside from having a monorail) but it’s certainly well placed for getting to host cities. Under an hour to Düsseldorf, Dortmund and Cologne and under two hours to Gelsenkirchen and Frankfurt.

The monorail looked absolutely magnificent in fairness. My Dad’s train daft too so that’d probably add to the appeal for him!

18 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Gutted that this tournament is taking place at the business end of my final year of uni. I'd have loved to go. Seeing Scotland back at a tournament at the last EUROs was some buzz, even if the actual matches were anticlimactic.

There's always the next one, I suppose.

Will you not have finished your exams by then?