Euro 2024 Travel arrangements

Connor7

5 of us flying to Brussels on the 13th.
Travel to Munich that afternoon. 2 nights here.
Travel to our town of Fulda where we're based for 6 or so nights.
We'll travel in and out of Cologne from here. 
Then on to Stuttgart for a night before we go back to Brussels for the flight home. 

37 minutes ago, Tartan Dave said:

Anyone having any luck buying tickets from Paris to Munich on trainline app. Coming up as all sold-out for me?

If it's the route that's all Deutsche Bahn trains via Stuttgart or Mannheim then you'll be able to buy them for the day before the game right now on the DB website. If you're travelling on the day of the game it's not on sale until tomorrow (or 11pm UK time tonight).

If it's any of the routes that involve the eurostar then it won't be available as the eurostar leg isn't on sale yet.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

On 13/12/2023 at 10:02, welshbairn said:

Here's your local train timetable, change at Duren or Euskirchen for Cologne. :) The full timetable linked below covers the whole North West.

image.thumb.png.558bd1239a6a452a6d4c5741d764f292.png

https://infoportal.mobil.nrw/fileadmin/02_Wiki_Seite/02_Information_Service/05_NRW_Fahrplanbuch/NRW_Fahrplanbuch_2024.pdf

Yer some man . Thanks!

17 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Booked the ICE train this morning, price of train was really expensive which was a surprise as it was the first day booking.  Ended up booking first class as the same price - 5 min change at Cologne worries me though 

Based on recent experience of Deutsche Bahn I'd be amazed if you make a 5 minute connection but if that's the case you're fine to get the next available connection. If worried about any hassle you can get the conductor on the first train to confirm you missed it due to a delay in writing. I think you can get the same from the ticket office at the connecting train station too if you have time. I've not bothered with it in the past and the conductor on the next train hasn't cared after I explained about the delay.

DB Navigator app will tell you the platform of your connection so if it is all on time you can get there without having to check the boards to save some time.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Looking at in the know Twitter posts, I thought I would get train tickets from Frankfurt Airport to Ingolstadt for around 20 Euros, prices clearly jumped for opening day as showing at 50 odd already and only just on sale. 

Assuming now cheaper to get an interrail pass, but the price to just book the seats is also showing for 50 Euros so f**k knows what to do!

ETA, seat reservation thing now working. 

Edited by No_Problemo

I noticed that the German Interrail pass includes several journeys to and from other countries, so a Global pass might not be necessary for some people..

Can I go to other countries with a German Rail Pass?

See more of Europe

With a German Rail Pass, you can extend your trip to explore even more of Europe! Travel to exciting cities outside of Germany, such as Venice and Brussels. Check out the list of European countries below that you can add to your itinerary. With a German Rail Pass, the possibilities are endless!

Please note that for some international trains you may need a reservation. Check our timetable to find out.

Included destinations

Routes from Germany to Austria

The German Rail Pass is valid on trains from Germany to the Austrian border:

• Munich to Salzburg / Kufstein / Innsbruck

Routes from Germany to Belgium
The German Rail Pass is valid on the following direct routes:
  • Cologne (Köln Hbf) - Brussels (Bruxelles-Midi)
  • Cologne (Köln Hbf) - Liège (Liège-Guillemins)

Routes from Germany to Italy
The German Rail Pass is valid to and from the following Italian cities with DB-ÖBB EuroCity trains:
  • Bolzano/Bozen
  • Trento
  • Verona
  • Bologna
  • Venice

Routes from Germany to Switzerland
The German Rail Pass is valid to and from the following station:
  • Basel Bad Bf 

Your German Rail Pass is also valid on several Deutsche Bahn IC trains and coaches. Please note it's not possible to travel on any night trains.

P.S. Where it says night trains I'm sure they mean sleeper trains, not ordinary late night or early morning ones.

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/german-rail-pass

Edited by welshbairn

11 hours ago, betting competition said:

Booked the ICE train this morning, price of train was really expensive which was a surprise as it was the first day booking.  Ended up booking first class as the same price - 5 min change at Cologne worries me though 

Many people on the very popular german football tickets forum (the last two midnights have been popular booking times for them too for heading to the opener from various locales) have also noticed that not all the trains started at the rock bottom saver price.  One reason may be because certain routes aren't yet finalised for how long the carriages will be.  And of course to be quick as the prices go up after a few minutes.  It's my turn to try tonight so let's see how it goes.  I just want one or two important train bookings made at this price but will wait for the football trains on Jan 17th for the rest of bookings.

And yes, I would hesitate to book a 5 minute change.  I take the ICE all the time around that part of Germany and half the time you end up with a ten minute delay for whatever reason as for example somewhere you had to wait for a late train to pass on the track if you aren't late departing yourself.  I'd be happy with 15 or 20 minutes minimum.  Pick up a pretzel or something from the station bakery and then wait for the next train.  

13 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Based on recent experience of Deutsche Bahn I'd be amazed if you make a 5 minute connection but if that's the case you're fine to get the next available connection. If worried about any hassle you can get the conductor on the first train to confirm you missed it due to a delay in writing. I think you can get the same from the ticket office at the connecting train station too if you have time. I've not bothered with it in the past and the conductor on the next train hasn't cared after I explained about the delay.

DB Navigator app will tell you the platform of your connection so if it is all on time you can get there without having to check the boards to save some time.

2 hours ago, Juan Mata said:

Many people on the very popular german football tickets forum (the last two midnights have been popular booking times for them too for heading to the opener from various locales) have also noticed that not all the trains started at the rock bottom saver price.  One reason may be because certain routes aren't yet finalised for how long the carriages will be.  And of course to be quick as the prices go up after a few minutes.  It's my turn to try tonight so let's see how it goes.  I just want one or two important train bookings made at this price but will wait for the football trains on Jan 17th for the rest of bookings.

And yes, I would hesitate to book a 5 minute change.  I take the ICE all the time around that part of Germany and half the time you end up with a ten minute delay for whatever reason as for example somewhere you had to wait for a late train to pass on the track if you aren't late departing yourself.  I'd be happy with 15 or 20 minutes minimum.  Pick up a pretzel or something from the station bakery and then wait for the next train.  

Thanks for the advice, I've booked another train early that gives me plenty of time for next train. If I miss that there is always the VRS option after that. 

Got my Munich to Berlin on the 15th. It's going to be a bit of a faff showing your DB seat reservation on their app, the Euro Interrail pass on their app and the fan pass on UEFA's app. Hopefully they'll link some of it together.

We fly in to Stuttgart on evening of 14th at 10pm.

Staying a hotel by the airport for the two weeks.  Not ideal but mate was struggling to find somewhere when draw was made.

Plan to take train earlyish on 14th to Munich.  Staying in Munich that night in an Airbnb then back to Stuttgart later next day after a wee tour of Munich.  

Plan to do same for Cologne.

Also thinking of doing train to Zurich from Stuttgat and staying overnight as never been to Switzerland.

Any suggestions?

54 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Anyone travelling from Frankfurt to Munich and Cologne? What train station should I be travelling from and into and what’s the likely cost for three persons. 

There's an ICE train from Flughafen to Munich Hauptbanhof (central station).  

Had booked return flights to Amsterdam ages ago 14th to 21st, only issue would be in the unlikely scenario we got drawn for the opening game…

Now changed flights so out on the 13th and early flight from Amsterdam to Munich on the 14th. Will need to get a train on the 15th Munich to Cologne but was planning to leave it closer to the time. Is that a bad idea and I need to book any trains now?

54 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Had booked return flights to Amsterdam ages ago 14th to 21st, only issue would be in the unlikely scenario we got drawn for the opening game…

Now changed flights so out on the 13th and early flight from Amsterdam to Munich on the 14th. Will need to get a train on the 15th Munich to Cologne but was planning to leave it closer to the time. Is that a bad idea and I need to book any trains now?

The more people that book the more the price will go up as the Super Sparpreis tickets become less available so if you can then book now, especially with it being the route to the city we play in next meaning there'll be tons of Scotland fans in the same boat.

If you have tickets to the game then you could wait until 17th January for the euro 2024 train tickets for 29.90euro but these will be limited availability and they've not given much information about how limited they'll be and if you read this thread no one is really sure about what time they'll be valid until the day after games either.