March and June friendlies

Donathan

20 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

I reckon there’ll be lower demand if we get through. Not many will be able to justify more than one or two weeks away. 

Yup. Last minute accommodation, flights, and spending money required to go back out/stay another week won’t be cheap. That’s not even taking into account the prices of the actual ticket and people having to organise further last minute annual leave.

I was lucky in that I gambled and booked accommodation last summer after the Georgia game, but looking at the prices of hotels on booking.com now and they are eye watering in comparison.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it dropped to low single figures if we made the last 8.

22 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mmm. Had a quick look online. Without any attempt to look for anything better, Newcastle to Amsterdam Thursday lunchtime returning saturday morning for adult and child about £400. A half decent hotel room 3 miles from the ground £300. 🤔 might go for it if tickets are a goer.

Yl

Matchday Edin Brussels still very reasonable. Train up to Amsterdam for roughly €60 return. Only one nights accommodation required.Sorted ;)

Screenshot_20240301_183651_Skyscanner.jpg

How do we think the squad will look? It seems like McGregor, Hickey and Brown won’t make it. 

GK: Gunn, Clark, Gordon

DF: Patterson, Ralston, Hendry, Souttar, Porteous, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson, Doig 

MF: Gilmour, Ferguson, McGinn, McTominay, Christie, McLean, Armstrong

FW: Adams, Dykes, Shankland

I think the above are all stick ons or have a very good chance. That makes 23, I think we have space to add another centre mid and forward although I can’t see obvious options. 

Went for Gordon due to Kelly’s form. Ralston usually steps in if a RB is out. Ryan Jack may come in although he’s barely featured for his club. 

13 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

How do we think the squad will look? It seems like McGregor, Hickey and Brown won’t make it. 

GK: Gunn, Clark, Gordon

DF: Patterson, Ralston, Hendry, Souttar, Porteous, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney, Robertson, Doig 

MF: Gilmour, Ferguson, McGinn, McTominay, Christie, McLean, Armstrong

FW: Adams, Dykes, Shankland

I think the above are all stick ons or have a very good chance. That makes 23, I think we have space to add another centre mid and forward although I can’t see obvious options. 

Went for Gordon due to Kelly’s form. Ralston usually steps in if a RB is out. Ryan Jack may come in although he’s barely featured for his club. 

You might as well bring along a couple extra to fill out the squad as this is the last chance of a get together before the Euros and who knows what injuries might happen before then - Cooper and Conway? I also don't think he'll pick Doig ahead of Taylor. 

Football Manager dork esque post here, but I wonder if we could emulate Villa's system that see's McGinn play a bit wider in an advanced position, and bring Ferguson into the side? Is there enough speed and guile for Ferguson, McGinn and McTominay as a 3 behind the striker?

Gunn
Patterson - Hendry - McKenna - Robertson
Gilmour - Christie
Ferguson - McTominay - McGinn
Shankland

2 hours ago, TeeMan said:

You might as well bring along a couple extra to fill out the squad as this is the last chance of a get together before the Euros and who knows what injuries might happen before then - Cooper and Conway? I also don't think he'll pick Doig ahead of Taylor. 

I agree. Taylor will be picked ahead of Doig though they may both be included. Likewise on the other side Max Johnston might get a shout as well or instead of Ralston who isn't even getting a game for Celtic at the moment.

I don't think we'll see Conway. I still think he'll more likely call up McBurnie again before Conway. Cooper will probably be in though. There's no real downside to including fringe players in case you need to call on them. Other than a few hotel bills, making it a squad of 27 or 28 isn't a big deal.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Ralston is getting much more of a game for Celtic than Johnston is for Sturm Graz.

I'll take your word for it. I haven't a clue how much game time Max Johnston is getting. I'm sure @2426255 posted something showing he was getting about 33% game time last week. My impression was Ralston was second choice to Alistair Johnstone at Celtic and barely getting a look in. Stand corrected if that's not the case.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm sure @2426255 posted something showing he was getting about 33% game time last week. My impression was Ralston was second choice to Alistair Johnstone at Celtic and barely getting a look in.

image.png.e25860ed0fc5fc7d6c924e06f34755ac.png

That's up to date from 1-Feb. Ralston's minutes were being artificially bumped up because he was covering Greg Taylor and Alistair Johnston, but since Taylor's made his return from injury, Ralston's % has been declining. Ross McCrorie was an RWB injury replacement for Scotland in Jun-2023. Nathan Patterson and Anthony Ralston were injured and so is also worth keeping an eye on.

I've stopped keeping an eye on Calvin Ramsay for the time being, but is another potential option. 

Edited by 2426255

On 01/03/2024 at 18:39, newcastle broon said:

Matchday Edin Brussels still very reasonable. Train up to Amsterdam for roughly €60 return. Only one nights accommodation required.Sorted ;)

Screenshot_20240301_183651_Skyscanner.jpg

I'm on those flights also!

On 04/03/2024 at 11:59, Jives Miguel said:

Football Manager dork esque post here, but I wonder if we could emulate Villa's system that see's McGinn play a bit wider in an advanced position, and bring Ferguson into the side? Is there enough speed and guile for Ferguson, McGinn and McTominay as a 3 behind the striker?

Gunn
Patterson - Hendry - McKenna - Robertson
Gilmour - Christie
Ferguson - McTominay - McGinn
Shankland

I quite like the idea of that

but don’t see it happening 

Maybe against NI ?

12 hours ago, thruthenight said:

Squad's announced tomorrow. I can feel a surprise in my giblets. A Harvey Barnes or a Tommy Conway inc

Yeah, heard this on the radio this morning. Looking forward to seeing who is in, but I expect no surprises and think the squad will have a very familiar look to it....and why not I suppose.