The floodgates are shut! - ST J vs ‘Well

Motherwell have lost our last 4 games and have only scored one goal in the process. I’d like to think the floodgates could open up if we score first but it’s unlikely with the strikers at our disposal.

St Johnstone can’t buy a win and McDiarmid Park hasn’t been a happy hunting ground for Motherwell in recent years. I don’t like this.

Most likely result is the floodgates will remain shut. 0-0 or match postponed.

Bizarrely I would rather face a St Johnstone team that had not lost in the league v one that has yet to register a win. It has a home win writ large all over it. 

Naturally I hope that we can start turning decent performances into wins. The Livi game being the only performance that you could say was below par. 

What is indisputable is that we have little to no goal threat up front. Until we get Mika and Obika back as options this will probably remain the case. We keep willing Bair to score but in fairness we have only had half a dozen games of this whereas St Johnstone had a whole season. He ought to be 4th or 5th choice striker and is currently 1st 🤷‍♂️

Assuming the game goes ahead I reckon it will be a narrow home win or low scoring draw. I hope an easy 3 points but the weather and narrative don’t suggest that will be the end result. 

Edited by welldaft

I think that the only way this goes ahead is if the ground staff worked miracles over the summer on the drainage - bearing in mind we're at the bottom of a hill and I don't think there's anywhere for water to go. The rain's been on since the early hours. Even if it's dry the wind will be a factor too and not sure we can open up stands during an amber alert. And I'd expect the trains to be off too.

BUT if it does go ahead I'd expect a 0-0. We seem to have stopped using our training sessions to injure our players so a postponement might not be a disaster for us.

22 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I think that the only way this goes ahead is if the ground staff worked miracles over the summer on the drainage - bearing in mind we're at the bottom of a hill and I don't think there's anywhere for water to go. The rain's been on since the early hours. Even if it's dry the wind will be a factor too and not sure we can open up stands during an amber alert. And I'd expect the trains to be off too.

BUT if it does go ahead I'd expect a 0-0. We seem to have stopped using our training sessions to injure our players so a postponement might not be a disaster for us.

I think the pitch would be just about playable, but would be a mess, but I'd imagine there will be flooding and pooled water in and around the ground that makes the game unlikely. That with the wind makes the game unlikely. Throw in that wind is coming from the east, the powers that be eould get a soaking and we can't be having that! 😜

If it does go ahead, it will descend into a battle and could go either way. Suspect Sprangler would be the kind of player to thrive in that. Ball will hold up on the soaked pitch, so Bair's badly timed runs will bag him his innevitable goal. 

St Johnstone’s first home win of the season incoming if the game goes ahead. 

The stats suggested Bair wasn’t going to fire us to glory every week and surprise surprise that’s how it’s panning out. Time for Wilkinson and Shaw to get a run together and hope they’re not as bad as they look. 

Last season our pitch was like a ploughed field but only after we played Hearts on a night after it had pissed down all day. Quite honestly I would postpone it now, no matter what state the pitch is at the moment. Play it midweek and hopefully weather will have calmed down a bit by then.

Have absolutely no doubt this won’t happen as it would require a modicum of foresight and common sense, qualities that are sadly missing where the SPFL are concerned 

27 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I mind a McDiarmid loss under McCall in absolutely torrential conditions. Might have been an Alba game because I remember watching it on telly and it doesn't sound like a prime Sky or BT pick.

I think it was around Halloween when  Gunnar Neilson?...had an absolute shitemare.

14 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

We seem to have stopped using our training sessions to injure our players so a postponement might not be a disaster for us.

Just happens on International duty now.

Sam McClelland injury and they expect it to be until the end of January until hes back.

So far most of Perth has been relatively lucky compared to an hour up the road. 

The wind is forecast to calm this afternoon/evening so can't see that causing an issue for the game unless it's done damage to the stadium but surely the stadium won't have been damaged as while it was windy, it wasn't as bad as other areas have faced. 

It's rained basically constantly and mostly heavily (often torrentially) since during the night Wednesday/Thursday morning. Most of the roads around the stadium will be passable but I imagine the pitch will be waterlogged. It's not forecast to stop raining either 😬  that amount of water has nowhere to go. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe