The floodgates are shut! - ST J vs ‘Well

Game off.

I was surprised to see Saints posting earlier that it was going to go ahead as planned based on the pitch being playable. That’s all very well, but as it stands one of the roads right next to the stadium is shut due to flooding and I’m assuming the new junction behind the west stand is at least partly flooded because it gets itself under water in any heavy rain.

On top of that, I can’t imagine the police want to be putting cops in the stadium when they’re needed elsewhere on the Tayside patch which is going to be needing full on rescue operations over the weekend.

It’s a pragmatic decision and probably the correct one. Not least it saves us playing on the surface in horrendous conditions and chewing it up badly, wrecking it for the rest of the season.

I had no intention of going either way but happy enough with this being off tbh. I suppose there's a good chance St Johnstone will have a new side/manager when this goes ahead but I had a bad feeling about them getting their first win tomorrow and I'd rather go to McDiarmid with Mika and Butcher.

I'd rather try and end a four game losing streak at home to County than with an away game against any opponent.

Correct decision. The comments about the pitch are bang on. Could do a lot of damage.

That plus where is the fun in travelling and sitting in pissing rain and gale force winds. 

Gives both teams time to get more players back. 

2 hours ago, tam the bud said:

So Motherwell can't travel to Perth due to the weather, but at the moment we have to travel to Dingwall via Perth  😕

That does seem a bit mental. 

Dingwall is also in the "strike zone" for tonight.

That game should be off as well. Far too dangerous to be travelling in this weather.

Edited by joewarkfanclub

14 hours ago, tam the bud said:

So Motherwell can't travel to Perth due to the weather, but at the moment we have to travel to Dingwall via Perth  😕

Is that the reason this game is off though? People if driving from Glasgow to Perth for the game would manage so without much issue. Main roads are fine.

I think the reason is more to do with emergency service resourcing. Perth city area isn't too bad but I imagine they're prioritising sending the services to Angus & Dundee to support the worst hit areas and cancelling the game in Perth reduces the potential burden on the already stretched resources.

Can't comment on Dingwall's situation. Although if it's not pitch related they shouldn't have waited until today. 

37 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Is that the reason this game is off though? People if driving from Glasgow to Perth for the game would manage so without much issue. Main roads are fine.

I think the reason is more to do with emergency service resourcing. Perth city area isn't too bad but I imagine they're prioritising sending the services to Angus & Dundee to support the worst hit areas and cancelling the game in Perth reduces the potential burden on the already stretched resources.

Can't comment on Dingwall's situation. Although if it's not pitch related they shouldn't have waited until today. 

Yeah, my takeaway from the statement was that it was to allow police, ambulance etc to concentrate on dealing with issues elsewhere.

Traveling from Glasgow area to perth is unaffected and most local transport is running although some saints fans might have struggled. Pretty sure the game would have gone ahead had it not been for the policing issue.

Glad the pitch will be protected. Noticeable that the club is at pains to mention how its dealt with the weather 

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I dont know a single person whos disappointed this is off tbh.

No one wants to watch football in the wind especially. Ends up just painful viewing. 

The over reaction by a few when it wasn't initially called off was somewhat over the top though 😂 if the pitch and area around stadium is safe then why wouldn't the club think it's going ahead. Fine as well when the emergency service or whoever explained their position and the situation changed. Maybe that conversation could have happened before the initial announcement was made but I'm sure we'll survive.

words like "outrageous" being chucked about 😂 relax folks. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

A lovely bright Autumn day in Stirling  30 miles away.  I’m not debating the decision to cancel but it would have been a lovely day for a game.

Im off to see young Wilson play for the Binos against the Bairns. 

Adam Cummins too probably. 

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

A lovely bright Autumn day in Stirling  30 miles away.  I’m not debating the decision to cancel but it would have been a lovely day for a game.

Im off to see young Wilson play for the Binos against the Bairns. 

Adam Cummins too probably. 

Neither plays but Leitch is on the bench