Killie v Dons

Just now, DoingThe42 said:

Disagree.

A few good weeks coupled with absolutely no other experience qualifying him for the job is a really flimsy reason to commit the club to a contract with a coach. Form comes and goes, and Aberdeen had already slowed by the end of last season. It should have been a thankyou, but now we get an experienced coach in to build.

Same goes for Hearts hiring Naismith on a very flimsy basis.

It's been two really bad decisions from two boards, and many people called it at the time.

He performed a resurrection job on the team last year. We were potentially heading for relegation and ended up in third. We’d lost 11-0 across two games in Edinburgh and put out the cup to Darvel. He had three months in the job and showed that he deserved it. There are some significant caveats to our post-split form too, he had zero squad depth and had lost Shinnie, Duk and McCrorie.

If we’d appointed anyone else and they had a sticky spell, everyone would be asking why he didn’t appoint  Robson.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm sure there's a few exceptions but the decent as interim then utterly failing once permanent must be a proper footballing trope by now.

Can't remember it ever really working out long term.

Hard to think of many, 75%+ of managerial appointments are considered failures in the long term at any level.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

He performed a resurrection job on the team last year. We were potentially heading for relegation and ended up in third. We’d lost 11-0 across two games in Edinburgh and put out the cup to Darvel. He had three months in the job and showed that he deserved it. There are some significant caveats to our post-split form too, he had zero squad depth and had lost Shinnie, Duk and McCrorie.

If we’d appointed anyone else and they had a sticky spell, everyone would be asking why he didn’t appoint  Robson.

I definitely see your argument, but I think it was a weak decision. The easy way out.

He did well, but it really was a run of a few weeks. Performances were so-so and quite a few results could have gone either way.

It would have been a great situation to hand to an experienced coach. Group stage football, a bit of money to spend, feel-good to build on. Instead, they gave the job to a guy with no real track record to speak of. Many people said this at the time, it's not just wise after the event. A lot of the mistakes he's making are those of an inexperienced coach.

Also, Robson would have been better off if they'd brought in someone else. He'd have had experience of being a Head Coach, could have gone and continued to develop as a coach, and would have been a good candidate for other jobs coming up. Instead, it looks like he'll be the guy who got sacked with Aberdeen near the bottom of the league, and his next job will be in League One.

4 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

The thing was, the results were great, but a lot of the performances gave us a clue about how this would go. But I agree it put Cormack in a difficult position.

It was a bit of a necessary evil last year given what he was working with but I think we were all hoping he wouldn’t stick with it this season.