🔴🟡 Partick Thistle v Ayr United ⚫️⚪️ - Halloween extravaganza

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Explain more.

All they are is a measure of who played the pass or cross to the player that scored. They don’t actually tell us anything about how consistently a player is creating chances for his teammates, and they don’t tell us how good those chances are. A shanked long ball that finds it way somehow to a striker who does an exceptional job finishing it counts exactly the same as a world class ball in that takes out the whole defence and gives the striker no chance of missing. Equally, there’s numerous goals scored where the final pass is not the most important thing in allowing the goal to be scored - the pass before, or even movement off the ball from someone else can be more important than playing the final pass.

All assists can do, as a statistic, is hint that a player is be good at creating chances for his teammates, but they don’t come close to telling the full story imo. 

Its not actually a massive deal, it’s just something I wanted to get off my chest. 

13 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

All they are is a measure of who played the pass or cross to the player that scored. They don’t actually tell us anything about how consistently a player is creating chances for his teammates, and they don’t tell us how good those chances are. A shanked long ball that finds it way somehow to a striker who does an exceptional job finishing it counts exactly the same as a world class ball in that takes out the whole defence and gives the striker no chance of missing. Equally, there’s numerous goals scored where the final pass is not the most important thing in allowing the goal to be scored - the pass before, or even movement off the ball from someone else can be more important than playing the final pass.

All assists can do, as a statistic, is hint that a player is be good at creating chances for his teammates, but they don’t come close to telling the full story imo. 

Its not actually a massive deal, it’s just something I wanted to get off my chest. 

Pretty much everything you say there applies equally to "goals scored" as a measure. A deflection off your arse into the goal without knowing or mishit cross counts the same as beating everyone on the pitch and lobbing the keeper.

Similarly there’s numerous goals scored where the finish is not the most important thing in allowing the goal to be scored - the pass before, or even movement off the ball from someone else can be more important than the simple tap-in to finish.

5 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Pretty much everything you say there applies equally to "goals scored" as a measure. A deflection off your arse into the goal without knowing or mishit cross counts the same as beating everyone on the pitch and lobbing the keeper.

Similarly there’s numerous goals scored where the finish is not the most important thing in allowing the goal to be scored - the pass before, or even movement off the ball from someone else can be more important than the simple tap-in to finish.

You’re right. The only difference is that the goal actually counts.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Forrest got stick from some fans until he left

Crawford got stock from some fans until he left

Mark McKenzie…..sometimes folk don’t realise what they had until it’s gone 

Please tell me you don’t actually think McKenzie is in the same bracket as either of those two.

40 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I get that that there can be more to being a striker than scoring goals. But it still boils my piss how readily football fans these days make countless excuses for strikers who contribute very little.

All you need to do to get pass marks at Ayr is put a shift in. 

I wonder if we’ll go with a 3 centre backs with Milne and McKenzie at WBs. It would allow us to give McKenzie less defensive rsponsibility and also play Adeloye and Graham together rather than playing Graham as a number 10.

1 hour ago, Reid said:

I wonder if we’ll go with a 3 centre backs with Milne and McKenzie at WBs. It would allow us to give McKenzie less defensive rsponsibility and also play Adeloye and Graham together rather than playing Graham as a number 10.

Was thinking similar. 

2 hours ago, Reid said:

Could play Milne as a centre back as he’s good in the air. 

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Please tell me you don’t actually think McKenzie is in the same bracket as either of those two.

Played out of position a lot and asked to do non-glamorous dirty work while other players take the plaudits. 

Then when no one is there doing that dirty work, you see what you are missing. We don't play a way that allows two out and out forwards. 

For all the moaning about McKenzie, who would people rather we play? Rose, who "doesn't fit in to our system" is the nicest thing you could say about him currently Bryden? Currently half the player McKenzie is and less likely to score than him. Amartey ? Has played less than Pendlebury and he's fucked off. 

51 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Amartey not travelled with the squad, not sure what’s going on and been told it’s 451 tonight with McKenzie lone striker, brace yourself folks. 

Hahaha, brilliant stuff. I mean if I’m choosing a lone striker out of who is left it probably is McKenzie, but what a state to be in. 

Amartey should clearly have been starting tonight. 

Your info wasn’t the best! Rose and McKenzie thought - fuxk me. 

Edited by No_Problemo