St Johnstone's Next Permanent Manager 23/24

Who will be St Johnstone's next permanent manager?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Think I said it last time as well, but I’d be looking at Rhys McCabe. I think we know we’re going down already, so may as well bring in someone young with ideas and who plays attacking football. 

Not sure he’s ready to hang up his boots just yet though so probably the only issue. 

Tough choice. Do you pick someone who likely gjves you a good chance of staying up but leaves you long term issues (Neilson, Alexander, probably Yogi), or do you look longer term and take the short term pain?

Id rather avoid those 3 tbh, but we definitely need someone whos made mistakes elsewhere.

Lennon shouldnt really be considered.

Paul Hurst, recently sacked by Grimsby, looks an interesting choice to me. Lots of underlying reasons outwith his control for his slipping back down the leagues and out of jobs, who maybe just needs a change to kick start his career. Think thats the route for us.

I see 3 reasons to be cheerful - 

1) The magical formula Sainties appeared to have which saw them appoint decent manager after decent manager is well and truly fucked. 
2) There appears to be something absolutely rotten at the core of the club. 
3) Whoever takes over has a pile of absolute shite to work with and the club has splaffed a fortune on players over the last 2.5 years. 

Glorious stuff. 

Scott Brown was third choice for the ICT job behind Duncan Ferguson and “a major name at one of Scotland’s biggest clubs” who fancies a career change.  

He obviously doesn’t interview very well, so I’d rule him out on the basis that ICT turned him down.  

I’ll take a guess at Johnny Hayes. Someone of that ilk.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I’ll take a guess at Johnny Hayes. Someone of that ilk.

Doubt we'll go for a rookie.

Last 2 appointments have been in their first job and both been sacked, 2 before that (Lomas/TW) had managed before us.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tough choice. Do you pick someone who likely gjves you a good chance of staying up but leaves you long term issues (Neilson, Alexander, probably Yogi), or do you look longer term and take the short term pain?

Id rather avoid those 3 tbh, but we definitely need someone whos made mistakes elsewhere.

Lennon shouldnt really be considered.

Paul Hurst, recently sacked by Grimsby, looks an interesting choice to me. Lots of underlying reasons outwith his control for his slipping back down the leagues and out of jobs, who maybe just needs a change to kick start his career. Think thats the route for us.

Do you think there's any short term hope?

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Doubt we'll go for a rookie.

Last 2 appointments have been in their first job and both been sacked, 2 before that (Lomas/TW) had managed before us.

Guess it depends who applies, but I don’t see why one of the rent-a-manager usual suspects would be any better.  

As much as this was obviously the right thing to do, St Johnstone are in a real mess.  You’ll know better, but several of those players are plainly not good enough, and you aren’t going to get your pick of the litter manager. 

Edited by Savage Henry

13 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Do you think there's any short term hope?

Yes and no. The squads poor and unbalanced, but it stays up under TW as he finds a way to shitfest while getting goals from Clark/May/Kane.

We get a manager who can do that then theres still time.

10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Guess it depends who applies, but I don’t see why one of the rent-a-manager usual suspects would be any better.  

As much as this was obviously the right thing to do, St Johnstone are in a real mess.  You’ll know better, but several of those players are plainly not good enough, and you aren’t going to get your pick of the litter manager. 

I want to avoid rookies, but also avoid the usual suspects. I like trying to look at the EFL for managers who have shown promise and lost their way a bit. If we avoid rookies we'll be selecting from a pile of failures, but we desperately need freshness in there and someone the players can have some form of belief in.

We're probably doomed no matter who profile we appoint though, tbh.