Morton v Raith Rovers

We may as well get this started. How are Morton fans feeling going into this one?

We’ll probably need to play a lot better than we did on Saturday to come away with anything more than a point. We have developed the enviable trait of scoring late goals, something we never really seemed to do last season or before under McGlynn. On the other hand that’s the clock gone back, so…

Edited by Enigma

Our horrific injury crisis is clearing and we are getting key players back. Still have a couple to return from injury though.

We should now have enough players back to start competing and picking up points again. 

Should be a tight game but being at home I expect to pick up the 3 points

We need Connolly in from the start at least. I'd have him in for McGill. I can't see Easton or any others returning for us, which makes it significantly tougher. Murray was saying post match that in a few weeks time, our squad should be looking a lot stronger with bodies coming back but for now we'll be limited. Cappielow has never been a particularly happy hunting ground for us either and you always worry about the hangover from significant wins like yesterday. 

43 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Morton are IMO a better team than the league position suggests, that said 0-2, need to keep up the pressure on Dundee Utd

Opinions and all that but disagree..who are they better than? 

That said, not confident with current injury situation. Bench yesterday was a bit of a shambles…Connolly, two teenagers and an injured Easton. 

A win could see us 9 points clear of 5th which would be fantastic 10 games in along with an impressive 23 points. 

Take any sort of win here.

20 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Opinions and all that but disagree..who are they better than? 

That said, not confident with current injury situation. Bench yesterday was a bit of a shambles…Connolly, two teenagers and an injured Easton. 

A win could see us 9 points clear of 5th which would be fantastic 10 games in along with an impressive 23 points. 

Take any sort of win here.

Aye we deserve to be bottom, it's been a really poor start and the league table doesn't lie etc etc.

However it's incredibly tight,  with us only being 5 points off the playoffs with a game in hand so we know a few positive results against fifes finest this week will see us right back in the pack.

Tough game, Raith are a different animal to last season and have quality throughout.

We are still missing a couple of key players but the players should be buzzing after the late winner yesterday so we should go into this with confidence.

I'd be happy with 4/6 this week

1-1.

Would expect to see us continue with the back three here after a much better performance, and looking at the Raith v Dunfermline thread it seems Raith struggled a bit up against a back three too, for all that they've ultimately won the game. I'd be wary of them hurting us down our right if they can get in between Broadfoot and Wilson, but that'd be just as big a concern with a back four and Wilson was excellent on Saturday.

While both Broadfoot and Power looked a lot more comfortable in that shape, I reckon we might see rotation here. Obviously nothing we can do with the defence, but Power isn't going to manage three starts in a week and Gillespie not coming off the bench at all on Saturday makes me think he was maybe being kept fresh to start tomorrow.

The game against Ayr last week represented a real glimmer of hope for me - with glimpses of the Morton team of last season. There seemed to be a lot more commitment and determination about the side than the lacklustre performances which have left us where we are, and the win will have injected much-needed confidence into the squad. Our injury situation has been a cruel mistress and we’re still missing key players - especially Jai Quitongo’s pace and his ability to carve up defenders heading forward, although his end product is sometimes hit-or-miss. Raith have some real quality about them and will be a tough nut to crack - but I reckon we can grind out a result.

31 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Would expect to see us continue with the back three here after a much better performance, and looking at the Raith v Dunfermline thread it seems Raith struggled a bit up against a back three too, for all that they've ultimately won the game. I'd be wary of them hurting us down our right if they can get in between Broadfoot and Wilson, but that'd be just as big a concern with a back four and Wilson was excellent on Saturday.

While both Broadfoot and Power looked a lot more comfortable in that shape, I reckon we might see rotation here. Obviously nothing we can do with the defence, but Power isn't going to manage three starts in a week and Gillespie not coming off the bench at all on Saturday makes me think he was maybe being kept fresh to start tomorrow.

Scott McGill played 'wide left' on Saturday but I've put that into inverted commas because he's very much a right footed central midfielder, and with the pretty conservative Liam Dick behind him. As a result, we didn't look remotely like getting at the right hand side of Dunfermline's defence .

The bad news, for you, is that it's the one place I'd expect a change in the Rovers line up. A very small chance it could be Dylan Easton coming in (which would be ideal) but I suspect it'll be Aidan Connolly in for Scott McGill and either he or Josh Mullin will play on the 'wrong' side. Either way, I'd certainly hope they give Wilson and Broadfoot something to think about. 

Seems mental to be playing a back three and not have Broadfoot in the middle. 

Surely the biggest question is how many Morton posters will be banned by Wednesday morning if they lose? 

Should be a tough game and we’ll need to play significantly better than we did against the Pars to take the points here. Like everyone else has mentioned please don’t play McGill at LM again as he is totally wrong for that role.  Interesting to see how Morton look after a win against Ayr will have given them a bit of confidence.  I’d like to see Connolly back in the team but he and Easton will come down to their fitness. Happy with any win here but these are the games where teams sitting high in the table often take for granted and then get knocked on their arse as they underestimated the opposition.  

Murray was pretty honest in his post match interview, acknowledging the performance wasn’t good enough on Saturday and he will have told the players as much so hopefully we can see an improvement.

As above if Easton is remotely fit I’d bring him and Connolly in for Mullin and McGill but I think it’ll be another 20 minute cameo for Dylan.

This to me feels a bit like the Airdrie game, tricky away game on the back of a scarcely deserved 1-0 home win with a late goal. Murray said then they almost needed that defeat to reset things as it had been coming for a while, I think our performances have been good since that game but Saturday was poor. Hopefully we don’t need another defeat to reset things and we can put in a much improved performance here.

Another week closer to having key players back too. The likes of Watson, Matthews, Hamilton and a fully fit Easton should make a big difference, it’s all about getting through till then as best we can.

I’ll go for a 1-1 draw. Vaughan for us and Robbie Muirhead with his customary goal against us for Morton.