Cove Vs Accies

Was probably more confident than most about getting a win last week, but this game is a different story. Cove seem to be getting their act together, turning defeats into draws, and in recent weeks into wins. Also the wee greaseball often knows how to get a result against us.

No need to change the starting line up from Montrose, think we're going to need to be clinical and McGlynn is our best chance at that.

Another long trip but it will be a big help to the players if those that can, get up there in numbers. Not a game where we can aford to squander chances and we need to  take whatever we can points wise whilst addressing the goal difference as positively as possible. 

However, we should be cautiously optimistic and build on Saturdays second half performance and result. Taking nothing for granted but weirdly looking forward to it

Will be a tough game but an interesting one as well Falkirk won at Stirling a couple of weeks ago and we slipped up at Stirling. However Cove away was a game Falkirk dropped points in so getting 3 points here would be massive. They should be no changes this week credit given where it's due to Rankin he got it spot on at the weekend I've said it before but we do seem to play much better away than what we do at home. I think it will be a tough game but I think we will get the 3 points 2-0 Accies with McGlynn and Henderson getting the goals. 

5 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Will be a tough game but an interesting one as well Falkirk won at Stirling a couple of weeks ago and we slipped up at Stirling. However Cove away was a game Falkirk dropped points in so getting 3 points here would be massive. They should be no changes this week credit given where it's due to Rankin he got it spot on at the weekend I've said it before but we do seem to play much better away than what we do at home. I think it will be a tough game but I think we will get the 3 points 2-0 Accies with McGlynn and Henderson getting the goals. 

We absolutely battered them up there.

Really should have been a comfortable win.

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

We absolutely battered them up there.

Really should have been a comfortable win.

Yep we were the same against Stirling fact we dropped points in that game was mad could of scored 5 or 6 in a different day. We've played far worse in games this season than the Stirling game and won. 

A few weeks back most Cove fans wouldn’t give us a chance on Saturday however there have been glimmers of hope recently. Indeed most would have settled for a proper doing and the removal Hartley. It’s been a long time since Fyvie and Yule have been in the same side for a consistent period and we are now starting to see some glimpses of the stuff we won this Division with. It’s not quite there by a long way but players we brought in who looked OK but off the pace are now starting to look more settled and confident.

I would take a draw now but I think it will be tighter than it looks on paper.

On 30/10/2023 at 13:39, Laid-back Accie said:

Was probably more confident than most about getting a win last week, but this game is a different story. Cove seem to be getting their act together, turning defeats into draws, and in recent weeks into wins. Also the wee greaseball often knows how to get a result against us.

No need to change the starting line up from Montrose, think we're going to need to be clinical and McGlynn is our best chance at that.

I don't know what to think going into this one to be honest. Part of me thinks we'll finally turn up and get a decent result and part of me remembers how bad defensively we've been to date this season.

We're building some momentum and regaining confidence as the weeks progress. Unbeaten in 5, won the last 2 and even kept a clean sheet last week! The "uptick in form" coincides with the return of Fyvie and Yule and them getting match sharp as @Watson Nimrod says but we're still severely hampered by Hartley's failed summer recruitment spree. We're lacking, or even missing altogether, quality in areas that will blight our ability to go on long unbeaten runs.

Accies and Falkirk squads are far stronger and deeper. The gap between 1st and 2nd spot and the rest I don't see closing much at all in the near term, probably the opposite.

On our day, we are capable of turning in a performance that our L1 winning side might be vaguely proud of but having consistency or winning ugly against a competent side when not at our best, not a chance.

Interesting to see if Doyle signs during the week or plays again as a trialist. L1 is his level nowadays but he's capable and much more natural at RB than Sena who's looked lost unfortunately. There's not many free agents going about that would come to us, and could strengthen us, but I'm all for trying. Would take one or more of Peter Pawlett, Shane Sutherland, John Robertson, Cieran Dunne, Josh McPake.

This will likely be at least a week too soon for Josh Kerr. Mitch will return from suspension and needs to start making an impact with some regularity.

Watched Accies commanding 3-0 win against Mo on Saturday night. Clearly got a strong nucleus of a side, with many players on the cusp of being a decent Championship players. Importantly too, got a strong bench and competition for places.

Fancy us to score, probably as much as I can conjure up. Won't be a huge shock if we win but Accies are unbeaten in their last 13 in all competitions and will rightfully be confident of taking all three points.

4 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Hopefully Burrell does us a favour by getting the winner. 

He'll likely get a start this week alongside Mitch after scoring the winner from the bench. Williamson and Connell will be consigned to subs.

4 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Interesting to see if Doyle signs during the week or plays again as a trialist. L1 is his level nowadays but he's capable and much more natural at RB than Sena who's looked lost unfortunately.

So it seems we have signed Doyle. If fit I suspect he will bring much needed experience in that position, it’s a low bar there this season so far so it could be said a railway sleeper would have been an improvement. 

I worry about his fitness given we have only signed him till January. There must be a concern given the contracts that our board were handing out to anyone that parked next to the stadium over the summer. 

Pleasing that Josh Kerr is also recovering as I think he also has the ability/experience to shore things up a bit. 

23 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

So it seems we have signed Doyle. If fit I suspect he will bring much needed experience in that position, it’s a low bar there this season so far so it could be said a railway sleeper would have been an improvement. 

I worry about his fitness given we have only signed him till January. There must be a concern given the contracts that our board were handing out to anyone that parked next to the stadium over the summer. 

Pleasing that Josh Kerr is also recovering as I think he also has the ability/experience to shore things up a bit. 

Signing a free agent at this time until January can be quite common. Caley have done it with Spoony and Sheridan. It states until January initially. If he continues to impress we'll give him until summer I imagine or he'll look elsewhere.

A recognised RB is an improvement from Sena who was anything but.

Doyle and Kerr should improve our backline. Still needs strengthening, a standout CB and a better LB than Jones. I suspect Hartley will try for Brody Paterson in the window. He would be good for this level although I'd like a higher calibre.

Doyle has a decent engine on him he'll run all day, his crossing leaves a lot to be desired, and he's not the best defensively, but he'll put a shift in, he's a bit of a fitness freak I recall him doing exercise videos at home during COVID restrictions for the club FB page, he's also a bit of a joker in the dressing room. At the time I wasn't bothered when we let him go only to find his replacement/upgrade was Scott Mercer who was absolute dross. 

Edited by ebobsboy

8 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Doyle has a decent engine on him he'll run all day, his crossing leaves a lot to be desired, and he's not the best defensively, but he'll put a shift in, he's a bit of a fitness freak I recall him doing exercise videos at home during COVID restrictions for the club FB page, he's also a bit of a joker in the dressing room. 

@McGuigan1978 & @Francesc Fabregas can confirm.

5 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

Doyle has a decent engine on him he'll run all day, his crossing leaves a lot to be desired, and he's not the best defensively, but he'll put a shift in, he's a bit of a fitness freak I recall him doing exercise videos at home during COVID restrictions for the club FB page, he's also a bit of a joker in the dressing room. At the time I wasn't bothered when we let him go only to find his replacement/upgrade was Scott Mercer who was absolute dross. 

Suspect he'll be an upgrade on what we have, not difficult, so a positive signing. Supposedly was one of Hartley's first signings when he took over at Alloa back in 2011

6 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Suspect he'll be an upgrade on what we have, not difficult, so a positive signing. Supposedly was one of Hartley's first signings when he took over at Alloa back in 2011

Aye I think your right there. If he assists Burrell with the winner on Saturday then there will be a few greenies on this thread. 

Burrell returns to the starting lineup and is joined by Mitch who returns after suspension. No other changes from last weeks win against QoS. Suspect we'll be 4-4-2. Might be narrow with Yule and Scully tucking in especially without the ball.

Close to the best team we can field. Still a lack of width but Yule and Doyle will offer something down the right and Jones and Scully down the left should be semi competent.

A windless November day here at Balmoral, almost as you could hope for up here at this time of the year.

Screenshot_2023-11-04-14-02-34-93_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-04-14-01-11-86_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

20 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Burrell returns to the starting lineup and is joined by Mitch who returns after suspension. No other changes from last weeks win against QoS. Suspect we'll be 4-4-2. Might be narrow with Yule and Scully tucking in especially without the ball.

Close to the best team we can field. Still a lack of width but Yule and Doyle will offer something down the right and Jones and Scully down the left should be semi competent.

A windless November day here at Balmoral, almost as you could hope for up here at this time of the year.

Screenshot_2023-11-04-14-02-34-93_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-04-14-01-11-86_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

On paper that is a very decent side at this level, surprised you guys aren’t doing better actually. 

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

On paper that is a very decent side at this level, surprised you guys aren’t doing better actually. 

Compared to the start of the season when we were missing Fyvie, Yule and having no recognised RB it's an improvement now. Still missing a commanding centre back and a Ross/Morrison type. 

Bairns look imperious right now. Expecting you lads to pick up another 3 points.

Fairly competitive first half but goalless. Burrell causing some trouble for the Accies defence but not quite enough Cove players around him. Mitch has been ineffective. We've kept our shape we'll enough but Tumilty and Murray are finding a bit too much space for me down the right. 

Accies got some strong options from the bench which could be the difference in the last 45 minutes 

Edited by CoveRangers1922