Motherwell v Aberdeen 01.11.23

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Kettlewell took a line out of context to create something to 'pin on the dressing room wall'. It's a gimmick as old as the sun and quite why any Motherwell or Aberdeen fan would take it remotely seriously is beyond me.

Anyway...not sure what to make of this one as I've no doubt Aberdeen are much better than they've shown. Whether or not they'll turn it round by tomorrow, who knows.

We're pretty much exactly what we've shown...midtable (lower at that) but ok if the talisman is fit, struggling if not.

Can see a 1-1 that pleases neither side.

What talisman is this? 

Biereth is on 2 goals and 2 assists in 50 minutes of league football, which is an unbelievable rate of involvement. 

Has to be Butcher back in defence for me. We need his leadership and his positional sense, as much as Mugabi has exceeded expectations when he has been out.

I'd also bring Miller and Wilkinson in from the start. Our best performances this season have been with the 3-4-2-1 and neither Shaw nor Bair have done enough to justify sticking with two up top.

There was absolutely nothing in Robson's comments. It's a bit embarassing how Kettlewell has taken the bait when there wasn't really any. I'd always rather our managers refrained from any mind games in the press.

We're going through another bad spell and I find it hard to believe that a midweek in Lanarkshire will be the match that turns it around.

Besides, I've got a feeling that we'll hit the nadir of the Robson reign on Saturday night.

Either a horrible eye-gouging 1-1 or a narrow 1-0 win for the Steelmen.

I would like to see us at least trying to move away from the 3-5-2, most likely to a 4-2-3-1. Robson has seemed intent on going with a front two domestically with some limited exceptions, but we have not got much value from it most of the time.

I would play Miovski up front, but focus on getting as much support around and beyond him as possible. Jensen would likely have to play as the left-sided centre-back to give us balance there, and then Gartenmann or more likely Rubezic for his aerial presence on the right. We aren't getting value most of the time from wing-backs either, so let Devlin and Mackenzie play as more traditional full-backs and hopefully stop being so dependent on them for our width. 

I wouldn't mind seeing something like: Roos; Devlin, Rubezic, Jensen, Mackenzie; Barron, Shinnie; McGrath (or Polvara), Clarkson, Duncan; Miovski.

Mainly, I just want to see us trying something different. Then again, maybe this is the game those Jensen 'long' throws start paying dividends. 

31 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I would like to see us at least trying to move away from the 3-5-2, most likely to a 4-2-3-1. Robson has seemed intent on going with a front two domestically with some limited exceptions, but we have not got much value from it most of the time.

I would play Miovski up front, but focus on getting as much support around and beyond him as possible. Jensen would likely have to play as the left-sided centre-back to give us balance there, and then Gartenmann or more likely Rubezic for his aerial presence on the right. We aren't getting value most of the time from wing-backs either, so let Devlin and Mackenzie play as more traditional full-backs and hopefully stop being so dependent on them for our width. 

I wouldn't mind seeing something like: Roos; Devlin, Rubezic, Jensen, Mackenzie; Barron, Shinnie; McGrath (or Polvara), Clarkson, Duncan; Miovski.

Mainly, I just want to see us trying something different. Then again, maybe this is the game those Jensen 'long' throws start paying dividends. 

No idea what hes meant to contribute 

34 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

No idea what hes meant to contribute 

Duncan's not great, but if we are going to move away from wing-backs then we would need not to be overly dependent on the full-backs to provide width. It's probably between Duncan and Hayes to do that (especially in the unlikely scenario that Robson actually plays all three of Barron, Clarkson and McGrath), and I have a slight preference for Duncan based on what I've seen from both recently. 

Edited by DrewDon

Not having seen a great deal of the Dons so far this season, all I really know is that they seemed to bring in a fair few bodies in the summer to a relative fanfare and much optimism (on here at least) among their fans for the business done.

Unsure whether Robson is still to find his best formation/permutation of the squad, they just haven't clicked yet, or they've simply spunked their money on some utter jobbers. Either way, he's obviously struggled to get a consistent tune out of them so far.

As for us, some of our performances in the recent past have been lauded despite failing to pick up many points, mainly due to being largely solid and creative but just lacking a cutting edge. However, the last couple of outings have seen our (until now) reliable defence start to leak some very sloppy goals which is a bit of a concern.

I see this being a very scrappy affair with both sides just desperate to take the points any which way they can. Hopefully Butcher is fit to help shore up at the back, and Biereth is allowed sufficient time on the field to contribute up front. Would be delighted with a win by any means to get us back on track, but can see a share of the spoils being the outcome.

On 30/10/2023 at 14:17, welldaft said:

My fear is our defence and wing backs coping with Miovski and Duk. 

You don't need to worry about Duk. He's been an absolute passenger this season. 

11 hours ago, DrewDon said:

1. I would like to see us at least trying to move away from the 3-5-2.

2. Mainly, I just want to see us trying something different.

3. Then again, maybe this is the game those Jensen 'long' throws start paying dividends. 

1. Won't happen

2. Definitely won't happen

3. Nope, 100% won't happen. 

10 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Duncan's not great, but if we are going to move away from wing-backs then we would need not to be overly dependent on the full-backs to provide width. It's probably between Duncan and Hayes to do that (especially in the unlikely scenario that Robson actually plays all three of Barron, Clarkson and McGrath), and I have a slight preference for Duncan based on what I've seen from both recently. 

I think those three in midfield would work well where we’re not expecting to  just be disrupting and hitting on the break.  Shinnie has been largely ineffective domestically (except cheeks games) and is probably getting to the age where resting him would be an idea too.  Those three should be able to keep the ball in midfield and move it around quickly too. 

It’s kind of a moot point if they spend the whole game watching the artillery going overhead though.

18 hours ago, Frank Grimes said:

Where do visiting fans tend to go now?

Not really a lot of options if you are wearing colours! Cooper Bar which is at the ground does let away support in but I think you might have to be early to get in. Club 100 used to let away support but there was trouble with Hibs and Motherwell Bois just after COVID so they stopped away support going in. I used to go to Jack Daniels (now The Steelworks Bar & Grill) but I believe they don't allow away support either. Few lads have went to the Electric Bar said it was ok but not sure on their rules with away support.

You might have to drink the city centre which is a fair hike to the ground. 

50 minutes ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Is that ticket office/pod still a thing at Fir Park? Probably won't know until mid afternoon whether I can go. Can you still buy a ticket on the night?

Sure I was told people can buy on the night at the pod but best check with Ticket office. 

Edited by betting competition

14 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Anytime we have changed to a back 4 we have been wide open and failed. 
I would like to see McDonald in with Jensen, Rubezic gets too exposed in a flat 4, he’s protected as the spare man when 3 centre half’s. 
The team is usually better without Duk this season so that has to be the way forward, and let him come on last 20 in some games when the opponent is tiring. 

2 hours ago, Irrational Behaviour said:

Is that ticket office/pod still a thing at Fir Park? Probably won't know until mid afternoon whether I can go. Can you still buy a ticket on the night?

Aye it is open tonight for being tickets. I bought mine yesterday and picking them up there tonight. 

I was planning on going to that Steelworks bar, no colours on so hoping it will be fine.