Hibs v Ross County - Tuesday, 7:45pm

14 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Can someone explain to me why the ball ricocheting off Hanlon's arm and out for a corner wasnt a handball and penalty? 

Because the ball was going harmlessly out for a corner anyway? I could see an argument for a penalty if there'd been any danger behind him.

22 minutes ago, morrison said:

Because the ball was going harmlessly out for a corner anyway? I could see an argument for a penalty if there'd been any danger behind him.

So you can bat the ball out for a corner whenever you want and go unpunished? 

ETA: It wasnt going out for a corner until it hit his arm and Loturi was closing him down.

Edited by Pete the Jakey

4 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

So you can bat the ball out for a corner whenever you want and go unpunished? 

ETA: It wasnt going out for a corner until it hit his arm and Loturi was closing him down.

Had it been when they first introduced VAR it’d have been given. Now they don’t give anything. I have no idea what a handball is any more. 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Had it been when they first introduced VAR it’d have been given. Now they don’t give anything. I have no idea what a handball is any more. 

Yeah me neither.  Loturi having just been yellow carded stuck his hand up and seemed to flap at the ball near the half way line too, yet also went unpunished. 

I'm casting my mind back to last season vs Celtic the ball got crossed into the box and through a melee of players brushed against Baldwins upper arm (or Iac, cant mind) and penalty was given. Some explanation from refs would be helpful. 

53 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Can someone explain to me why the ball ricocheting off Hanlon's arm and out for a corner wasnt a handball and penalty? 

His arms were right in front of his body and close in. Never a penalty. 

1 hour ago, Pete the Jakey said:

I didnt think it was ever in doubt that it was a corner, was a bit surprised that so many County players thought it was a penalty.

The law changed in 2019, and if a ball comes off your foot (like last night) then there is much more leeway given - and its generally not a penalty.

Theres a vid here, the relevant bit is at about the minute mark.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1292424

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I didnt think it was ever in doubt that it was a corner, was a bit surprised that so many County players thought it was a penalty.

The law changed in 2019, and if a ball comes off your foot (like last night) then there is much more leeway given - and its generally not a penalty.

Theres a vid here, the relevant bit is at about the minute mark.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1292424

Spot on, thanks.  The example given in that video is very similar to last night.