Edinburgh City v Montrose

Montrose have had a pretty good start to the season and obviously Kane Hester will score but seeing as we're absolutely brilliant now neither of those things matter and our march up the table will surely continue.

Both big teams in cup action this weekend so might get a few extra through the gate. Weather looks not too bad which is nice.

Think Shanley is back from suspension this week, he was sorely missed last time out.

1 hour ago, AllyMonc said:

Montrose have had a pretty good start to the season and obviously Kane Hester will score but seeing as we're absolutely brilliant now neither of those things matter and our march up the table will surely continue.

Both big teams in cup action this weekend so might get a few extra through the gate. Weather looks not too bad which is nice.

Think Shanley is back from suspension this week, he was sorely missed last time out.

Oddly enough Spartans, Strollers and Bonnyrigg are also all away from home tomorrow. 

Edinburgh punters will either flock to Airfix Meadowbank or take in Edinburgh Community, Edinburgh South (a 12 o'clock ko) or Herio-Twatt. 

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Edinburgh punters will either flock to Airfix Meadowbank or take in Edinburgh Community, Edinburgh South (a 12 o'clock ko) or Herio-Twatt. 

I think any Hibs or Hertz fans looking for a game to watch, might think "oh!, Edinburgh City are at home" and then think, "aw, but it's at Meadowbank sports centre, I'm no going there!".

Just now, RubyTuesday said:

Only 1 defeat in 5 games, Shanley back, and a win tomorrow could take City up to the giddy heights of 2nd bottom.  

I honestly think we can still make the play-offs by the end of the season!

Apart from Falkirk and Hamilton, everyone else is much the same.

We're not that far off fourth place if we can put a winning run together.

35 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Ah here that's about the most generous assessment of a team's chances I've ever read. I think getting into the bad playoffs and surviving would be a remarkable success!

Love the optimism though

1 hour ago, AllyMonc said:

Ah here that's about the most generous assessment of a team's chances I've ever read. I think getting into the bad playoffs and surviving would be a remarkable success

Och Ally, things are finally looking up you know!

We'll be nowhere near the bottom two by the end of the season.

Look at it this way.

We're only nine points off the good playoffs, that's only 3 wins.

Now,  Montrose are probably the 3rd best team in the league, so a win here at Meadowbank would be massive boost.

2 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Love the optimism, especially where we were a few weeks ago 😂

I think the most optimistic I’m willing to be at the moment is 8th considering the start we had but let’s hope you’re right.

I think a win is achievable here but it’s going to be a tough one.

Edited by Bay Citizen

26 minutes ago, Bay Citizen said:

I think a win is achievable here but it’s going to be a tough one.

Yeah, Montrose are a decent side, I said earlier probably the third best team in the league.

I just feel more optimistic about us, turning a corner so to speak, and think we can win this one!

Gotta be winning your home games.

Went along to Meadowbank today, Montrose were outstanding, they could have blown Edinburgh away in the first half. 

Passed up 3 great chances to extend their lead before City got a toehold in the game with a scrappy goal and then started launching a lot of dangerous high balls in which caused some problems for the Montrose defence.

Second half Montrose pulled away comfortably and again could easily have scored more.

City looked awful, bringing on Liam Fontaine at 1-4 to play up front just about summed them up.  

Decent crowd down from Montrose, probably a crowd of around 450.

Edited by Cowdenleith

We've had a few doings this last 12 months or so but that's up there with the biggest of the lot.

Montrose were excellent and better than us in every aspect. McIndoe was giving it 'the days of people coming to the capital and getting an easy 3 points are over' last week. You can make yourself look a bit silly with stuff like that.

Finishing with a front 3 where 2 of them were center backs was a good laugh.

No affect on the result at all as his incompetence netted out but that was a totally insane display of refereeing. The wee lad needs to think about what he's doing with his life as he's not cut out for this

I need to take back everything I said on this thread earlier!  😃 🤣

The players made a mug of us here!

We are shite and I don't know where we go from here.

Montrose are a good team right enough, and will have a good chance of going up winning the play-offs.

However we've made it so easy for them, twice now this season.

QOS were our bogie team last season, I think it will be Montrose this.

I genuinely thought we had a chance of taking something from this game until the 2nd penalty.  (The first being a perfectly good save from the line but ordered to be re-taken)

Things seem to fall apart soon after and then some of the most bizarre substitutions I’ve ever seen at a game.

It’ll be interesting to hear McIndoe’s post match interview after the confident one he gave last week and explaining that shambles at the end. 

Quite how the manager can bring on McLean to replace the excellent Shanley is a mystery. The lad is 6 foot 6 but missed am easy header in acres of space, which then leads to the 4th goal. Playing Fontaine as a winger? Baffling all round. 

The referee gave Montrose a free kick for the penalty that was even more obvious than the first penalty....

41 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

Quite how the manager can bring on McLean to replace the excellent Shanley is a mystery. The lad is 6 foot 6 but missed am easy header in acres of space, which then leads to the 4th goal. Playing Fontaine as a winger? Baffling all round. 

The referee gave Montrose a free kick for the penalty that was even more obvious than the first penalty....

Genuinely think Fontaine was more effective up front than McLean! 

What a state we found ourselves in at then end of the game, absolute chaos

Very happy with Montrose, goals and assists shared around with the whole team playing well but standout performances from the younger lads Miller Thomson and Luke Graham.

Edinburgh seemed really poor, though Shanley was sometimes dangerous. Ryan Williamson, RB, was often freely running through their centre midfield in the second half, to the extent he wasn't quite sure what to do with the ball once he got to the box - more shooting please, Ryan ?

We are still poor with any free kick around the box. I noticed that too vs Hamilton on the TV.  Don't we have anyone that can step up and at least find the target on a regular basis ?  On the other hand our corners seem much better these days, the first goal came direct from corner.

4 hours ago, Mo-time said:

Very happy with Montrose, goals and assists shared around with the whole team playing well but standout performances from the younger lads Miller Thomson and Luke Graham.

Edinburgh seemed really poor, though Shanley was sometimes dangerous. Ryan Williamson, RB, was often freely running through their centre midfield in the second half, to the extent he wasn't quite sure what to do with the ball once he got to the box - more shooting please, Ryan ?

We are still poor with any free kick around the box. I noticed that too vs Hamilton on the TV.  Don't we have anyone that can step up and at least find the target on a regular basis ?  On the other hand our corners seem much better these days, the first goal came direct from corner.

I'd never seen Thomson or Graham before but was seriously impressed by them both. 

Aye yer big lad at RB kept looking around for someone to take the ball off him!