What was Michael Matheson actually doing ?

superbigal

21 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

If he left it locked how did his family access anything. If he didn't leave it locked he should be sacked.

Very much so. Now admitting using it for a 'hotspot' with relatives.

Never at any point in the last 9 months did this known family access occur to him as an obvious explanation for an unexplained £11,000 bill while abroad though, even if his lads had said "wisnae us dad pure honest". Just bill parliament.

Noble or otherwise - his decision to prioritise family loyalty over ministerial honesty for 7 days is also deeply problematic.

Edited by HibeeJibee

So, is he basically saying that his family have access to a government minister's device (and presumably for hours at a time, without his knowledge)?

This feels like it's trundling towards either a resignation or a sacking (probably the former, as Yousaf has needlessly boxed himself into a bad position again), but either of those things could have happened days ago without this mess and having to throw his kids under the bus. 

Matheson looks dishonest and undignified, and Yousaf looks weak. All a bit unnecessary, too. 

I am not technically minded but bit I don't understand is the IT dept checked the ipad in January and all the data on it. Either this football was on it and there has been a cover up or if it is not on it why is  he paying for £11k of data that was not used.

Edited by FuzzyBear

9 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

I am not technically minded but bit I don't understand is the IT dept checked the ipad in January and all the data on it. Either this football was on it and there has been a cover up or if it is not on it why is  he paying for £11k of data that was not used.

It was data used/viewed, i.e. not only downloaded & saved.

They only checked the data meterage, not the browsing history - arguing that would imply snooping about for foul play.

More recently he declined to have its browsing history checked. For last 7 days its apparent why - he knew.

There are multiple issues now... his family using his government devices; whether is whole story (was there no WiFi?); his not being honest for past week; and that partly 'throwing IT under bus'.

Edited by HibeeJibee