Scotland playing qualifiers when we're already through

craigkillie

Our current qualification campaign is the first time any Scotland team (male or female) has ever qualified for a major tournament with two matches to spare. The games listed below are the only times we've ever played a qualifying match after already being assured of qualification.

15/04/1950 - Scotland 0-1 England (World Cup 1950)*
03/04/1954 - Scotland 2-4 England (World Cup 1954)
17/10/1973 - Czechoslovakia 1-0 Scotland (World Cup 1974)
18/11/1981 - Portugal 2-1 Scotland (World Cup 1982)
15/11/1995 - Scotland 5-0 San Marino (Euro 96)
20/09/2016 - Iceland 1-2 Scotland (Women's Euro 2017)

*Scotland had technically qualified for the World Cup prior to this game as one of the top two finishers in the 1949/50 Home Championship. However, the SFA decided we would only play in the World Cup if we won the championship, which would have required us to beat England. Therefore in practice this game still mattered.

It's quite cool that we'll get to add two games to this list, 28 years on from the last time the men's team did it - though hopefully our record in these matches will improve slightly.

Edited by craigkillie

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I was sure that we qualified for Italia 90 with a game to spare but obviously I was wrong.

Qualified with a nervy 1-1 draw with Norway in the last game.

Norway equalised with a minute to go with an absolute screamer, but we held on and finished one point ahead of France.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Qualified with a nervy 1-1 draw with Norway in the last game.

Norway equalised with a minute to go with an absolute screamer, but we held on and finished one point ahead of France.

That McCoist goal is my earliest memory of seeing Scotland playing - and the one that got me hooked.

The Norway goal is spectacular, but surely Leighton's badly at fault there (unless there's a deflection or something you can't see in the footage)?

6 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

That McCoist goal is my earliest memory of seeing Scotland playing - and the one that got me hooked.

The Norway goal is spectacular, but surely Leighton's badly at fault there (unless there's a deflection or something you can't see in the footage)?

I was at that game.

It was an absolutely horrendous error from Leighton.  A ridiculous mistake.

It was just as his confidence was haemorrhaging that season.  It continued and should have culminated in his being dropped for the FA Cup final replay. 

Alas he lived to fight another day.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

We needed a point from our last three games, but lost the first two away to Yugoslavia and France.

We led in Yugoslavia having already had a goal disallowed.

The roof fell in later though and there was suddenly an inevitability about us losing in France and facing a nervy final match.

20 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We led in Yugoslavia having already had a goal disallowed.

The roof fell in later though and there was suddenly an inevitability about us losing in France and facing a nervy final match.

IIRC our defence did not cover itself in glory at , at least , one of the Yugoslav goals.

Up until then it has been a good performance !

On 10/11/2023 at 11:36, Sarto Mutiny said:

It didn't happen in the end, but the thought of playing Norway at home in our final game needing a point to qualify was giving me some unpleasant flashbacks.

I did not realise until today that the league matches were not postponed !

WTF !

Another reason to be glad of Spain beating Norway !!