Cove v Binos

The first of back to back games, this time in the league and next week in the Scottish Cup. We'll be sick of the sight of one another by the end of the season at this rate! 

Cove coming into this on a run of 5 straight wins since the last gasp Scully equaliser which earned us 2-2 draw at Forthbank and are unbeaten in our last 8. For me, it doesn't tell the whole story; we've limped through a few of those games and all 5 wins have been by a solitary goal. There has been progress defensively with 4 straight clean sheets and confidence is naturally boosted. We're starting to tick but still not looking entirely polished.

Mitch should hopefully return having missed out against Mo on Tuesday night due to illness and will likely partner Burrell with Williamson dropping back to the bench. Hopefully Mitch can last the whole 90 this time around without seeing red.

Binos are going through a rough spell currently and went down heavily last weekend against Hamilton who looked imperious going by the highlights. See Hilson got sent off late on and will miss this one. Will it likely be Carrick and Thomson leading the line?

2 wins, 2 draws and 7 losses in the last 11 league games, losing the last 4 is a run that needs to be turned around for the away side.

Although a home win might be favoured by many it's by no means a certainty and will be keenly contested.

Whatever the scoreline it surely can't be 1-0 to us for the 5th successive game.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

The last minute equaliser at Forthbank 5 or 6 weeks ago was a sucker punch for the lads, there have been a few this season, but the one against Kelty seems to be the punch that we just can't get over and dented our confidence the most. Might be harsh on the players, playing Full Time teams and a local derby will always be tough, but the performances over the past 3 or 4 games is way below the standards that these lads have set.

Darren Young said that there was a good 40-45 minute discussion between the players and Coaching staff at the end of the Hamilton game, it's the first time I have heard Darren saying that, so hopefully it irons out any issues that are maybe bumbling away and resets things slightly. The squad has had a good number of injuries to deal with and as always happens, form will always go up and down but it's disappointing after the way we started the season.

That late equaliser feels like a defining moment.

That was the last game I thought we played well in. Had plenty of chances to put the game away second half before the gutting late equaliser. At the time,I just saw it as things evening out after us getting a few 1 0 wins including a few late winners.

I didn't expect the total collapse that followed.

Glad they had a long meeting after the Hamilton game. Im confident that both Darren Young and our playing squad are good enough and can dig deep enough to get us back on track.

Sure this will be tough.

I'd prefer us playing 4 at the back as they look more comfortable but I'd be tempted to sacrifice a striker for an extra midfielder....Josh Cooper probably if he's back from suspension.

I will be following the game from the beach. League 1 might not need a winter break but I do.

3 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

I’d be tempted to sacrifice a striker for an extra midfielder....Josh Cooper probably if he's back from suspension.

Cooper is definitely free from suspension, and he must start for me. He’s been our best creative Midfielder the last month or so, there’s maybe an argument to say he’s been our best player.

No point trying to guess lineups, but for me personally, Cooper comes in, in front of Leitch for me at the moment. How did Murray Miller look? Can’t say I have seen enough of him either way.

He must start. He should be way ahead of Leitch for a starting place based on the season to date.

I haven't seen enough of Miller to make a judgement yet. I wouldn't be opposed to him and Banner in fhe middle with Cooper just ahead, Milne and Moore out wide.

He's a better tqckler and far more mobile than Leitch at least.

19 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Cooper is definitely free from suspension, and he must start for me. He’s been our best creative Midfielder the last month or so, there’s maybe an argument to say he’s been our best player.

No point trying to guess lineups, but for me personally, Cooper comes in, in front of Leitch for me at the moment. How did Murray Miller look? Can’t say I have seen enough of him either way.

Given that we were a disjointed shambles last Saturday Miller didn’t do too badly, possibly among the best of a very bad lot.  He, Carrick and Currie didn’t quite reach the depths of the others.

Still, onwards to Cove this week, travelling in hope but without expectation.

It’s going to be a big ask for us to keep our momentum going given that most of our creative play revolves around 1 player who even given the former he is in is entitled to an off day. I’m also slightly concerned he makes the team as he came off clutching his thigh. If we supported most clubs we would know if our star player had an injury (like we would know if our star striker had an injury on Tuesday) but as we support a club that keep us in the dark then who knows.

I suspect this might be a draw. 

2 hours ago, Watson Nimrod said:

It’s going to be a big ask for us to keep our momentum going given that most of our creative play revolves around 1 player who even given the former he is in is entitled to an off day. I’m also slightly concerned he makes the team as he came off clutching his thigh. If we supported most clubs we would know if our star player had an injury (like we would know if our star striker had an injury on Tuesday) but as we support a club that keep us in the dark then who knows.

I suspect this might be a draw. 

Condrums and Rubic’s cube have nothing on you. My big decision is Bay or Carron for a fish supper.

On 16/11/2023 at 14:17, BB_Bino said:

As much as I'm a Jack Leitch fan I cant agree more with this at the moment. I really hope we get to see the best of Leitch again soon but he just looks a player void of all confidence at the moment. Was always going to be about staying up this year and maybe the positive start we made to the season i.e.  League cup and league campaign raised expectation however I still feel this is a squad capable of staying up!

With both teams form going into this Ill  bite yer hand off for a point.

50 minutes ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

Be interesting to see if Captain fantastic is back for us today, I hope not!  Adds nothing as a captain and in terms of a player, what he adds has been diminishing for a couple of seasons now - or just being found out at a higher level!

Form guide suggests a home win on paper although I'm not so sure, wouldn't say we've been comfortable in our winning run so far and we've only kept a clean sheet once in previous head to heads.  Will depend entirely on whether Fyvie plays or not for me.

In the P&J this morning it mentioned Mitch is expected to play today. As disappointing as his form has been of late compared to the glory days with him and Rory lighting it up in L1, he's the best partner for Rumarn we have. Mitch is coming deep, something he didn't use to do as much, but actually links play fairly well and will allow Burrell to be higherup.

I expect we'll try and recruit a striker or two in the window. A target man (Sutherland type as a short term deal) and a possible Mitch replacement for when he eventually leaves us. Heard a rumour linking us with Grady McGrath. 

Fyvie is absolutely crucial for us. Only player that can pick passes, break lines and control the middle. Without him you can predict our style of play; long balls from defence into channels hoping to get Burrell in behind or get seconds.

Uh oh, no Fyvie. Major blow for us. Reynolds also missing from the matchday squad which worries me far less although has been decent enough lately.

Kerr comes in after a couple of months out due to injury. Will we play a back 3 of Gillingham, Darge and Kerr with JJ and Doyle as wing backs? Darge can't be expected to play right wing that's for sure.

Mitch partners Burrell as expected.

Screenshot_2023-11-18-14-21-30-24_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-18-14-27-52-52_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

1-1 at the break.

Terrible first half performance from the home side and fortunate to get in level converting our first shot on target.

Mitch has barely touched the ball and Darge as DCM isn't working. Not many options on the bench. Suspect we'll see Gallagher and Connell at some point.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Improved 2nd half display from Cove and ran out deserved winners on the day. Burrell bagging a hat-trick to take his tally to 12 for the season. Mitch very selflessly put the 3rd on a plate for him when he could have scored himself.

Missed Fyvie massively but managed to do enough without him. 6 straight wins and unbeaten in 9 is some run given the squad Hartley assembled leaves a lot to be desired. 

Forthbank next week before we see how far off Falkirk we really are (a lot I would imagine)

1 hour ago, Midweek-away-to-Lossie said:

Much better second half performance, we were dire in the first half. I’m sure that hat trick will have Keith putting an extra fiver on Burrell’s valuation - I don’t see Mitch reaching double figures for the season. Thought it was a pretty poor pass from him for the hat trick goal if I’m honest. Hopefully we play next week for 90 minutes like we did for the second 45 today, I want a decent away day in the cup or an easy draw to progress 😂 saying this we’ll now play for 90 minutes like we did the first 45 and get pumped 🤦🏻‍♂️

Darge is murder whatever position he plays in, he needs to join Vigurs in the land of the never seen again. Kerr isn’t far off there as well!

Burrell outstanding, looked a class above and constant threat. Mitch ineffective for large spells of the game as you say. Did more second half but just looks a shadow or himself which is difficult to watch when a lot of my best memories of us are him looking so sharp.

For next week in the cup, hopefully Fyvie returns and Reynolds will get his place back over Kerr who did ok at best first game back 

Couldn't believe we were playing Darge at DCM. Granted we aren't blessed with many alternatives but surely Sena or Gallagher are more natural there than he is. Looked like a square peg trying to be squeezed into a round hole. He could easily be loaned out or released. He's not going to develop and become a regular for us that's for sure. Cut our losses.

Never saw 6 straight wins coming so fair play to Hartley for getting something out of the mob he's put together. Not all poor signings it has too be said but he's wasted a few quid and jerseys in the whole.

Unsung as he often is but I thought Blair Yule was outstanding in the second half which I think was the best 45 mins we have played this season? Some of his passing and running was back to his very best, Scully was good too and full of running. The cross from Jones was one of the few creative moves I’ve seen on the left all season and it results in a goal. It just goes to show we are crying out for more creative players on the flanks. Jones was OK today but still not good enough. 

There are a few bench warmers that need to be moved on or farmed out in the window. Kyle Connell looked dangerous again when he came on but Darge and Williamson offer very little and unless there is an improvement in both they should be moved on. Darge in particular has been a huge disappointment, against Alloa away he had a change to shine with plenty of space and seems very short of confidence (or ability perhaps) and same again today. He will be back to the bench for the cup tie I feel. 

So on to next week. I’m hoping Hartley will play Connell from the start, there is some manipulation on formation that would accommodate him if Darge is dropped which I’m fairly sure he will be. 

The bar is so low for us at the moment I thought much of the match was an improvement. Thought we edged the first half and even started the second half strongly. Felt very sorry for ourselves when it went 3-1 - although Cove did create a number of good chances after that.

Positives - a goal for Carrick and generally competitive again

Negatives - poor defending for goals AGAIN and not taking something even when we play relatively well