EEK, JINGS, HELP MA BOAB. Christmas song already

Wacky

There’s a guy cutting aboot at work singing Christmas songs. We’re only half way through November and he’s belting them oot. 
In my bah humbug mind this shouldn’t be happening until December 1st at the very earliest.
Don’t get me wrong here, I ignore my hypocrisy and join in with the festive spirit, but this surely has to be too early? 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

There’s a guy cutting aboot at work singing Christmas songs. We’re only half way through November and he’s belting them oot. 
In my bah humbug mind this shouldn’t be happening until December 1st at the very earliest.
Don’t get me wrong here, I ignore my hypocrisy and join in with the festive spirit, but this surely has to be too early? 

^^^

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

I genuinely feel sore for shop staff. 

Was in Asda on Monday and they had Christmas music over the tannoy,

I would be ready to kill by the start of Advent my next shift if I had to listen to that every day at work.

FTFY

I support a guy along to a special needs group on a Friday, they have a Karaoke at it and the first Christmas songs were sung last week.

The chap has a strong focus on Christmas and we try telling him not to mention it till December. He has been know to go up to random people in the street and wish them ‘Happy Christmas when it comes!’ In July.

It now seems as soon as Halloween has been and gone that shops start bringing out their Christmas stuff. 

8 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I would be ready to kill by the start of Advent if I had to listen to that every day at work.

My first paid job was during the Christmas period at What Everyone Wants, a notoriously tight company who sent out a twelve track CD to be played in store on a loop for a couple of months.

I didn't even work there full-time, but I could still tell you which songs were on that fucking disc, and to this day I occasionally get some mild panic when I hear one of them, not to mention the confusion when it isn't followed by the next song on the WEW playlist. I'd imagine the rest of my co-workers are now kept in some kind of silent care facility in case the opening bars of Wonderful Christmastime causes them to start killing again.

6 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

It now seems as soon as Halloween has been and gone that shops start bringing out their Christmas stuff. 

I thought it was a bit later this year, as I didn't see any Christmas things until we'd hit September.

One place I worked at sold packs of charity Christmas cards, and they'd always arrive at the end of July to go out on display on the 1st of August. Sounded mental, but they'd disappear immediately - they'd send us the sales figures for each week, and the first week in August always had the highest sales for the cards, by a fair distance. I guess more people than you'd imagine are quite happy with the extended consumer holiday season.

9 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

I would be ready to kill by the start of Advent if I had to listen to that every day at work.

I used to bagpack at supermarkets almost every day during the festive school holidays and the Xmas music on repeat drove me around the bend 25 years ago.  More so now seeing as 90% of the current songs are still the same ones.

'Last Christmas' by Wham! is by far the worst for bringing back the PTSD, closely followed by 'Merry Christmas Everyone', particularly the intro.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

My first paid job was during the Christmas period at What Everyone Wants, a notoriously tight company who sent out a twelve track CD to be played in store on a loop for a couple of months.

I didn't even work there full-time, but I could still tell you which songs were on that fucking disc, and to this day I occasionally get some mild panic when I hear one of them, not to mention the confusion when it isn't followed by the next song on the WEW playlist. I'd imagine the rest of my co-workers are now kept in some kind of silent care facility in case the opening bars of Wonderful Christmastime causes them to start killing again.

Must be a brutal when Status Quo come on the radio 

On 16/11/2023 at 22:35, Hedgecutter said:

'Last Christmas' by Wham! is by far the worst for bringing back the PTSD, closely followed by 'Merry Christmas Everyone', particularly the intro.

It's not even a Christmas song. You substitute the word Christmas in that song for anything (July, Easter, Beltane, Eid) and it still holds up as there's no further mention of anything Christmassy in the song. It's a shite song about a break-up which they've cynically made into a Christmas song.

I fucking hate that song.