All Time Top Scorers

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Just saying last night I never thought I was looking at a player of this level when he was playing against us in the Championship for Hibs. He was good, best player on the pitch usually, but didn't look good enough to step up as far as he has. He just seems to get better and better and the position we have for him which is almost between midfield and forwards seems to suit him perfectly.

Was surprised he took the penalty last night with McLean (anchor penalty in our previous shoot outs) and McTominay, scored in both also and our top scorer in the tournament were on the pitch. McGregor too scored in both of them. McGinn only took one in the first one v Israel and whilst he scored it, he was damned lucky with Marciano diving over it and fumbling it into his own net. He said afterward that he's 2nd choice taker at Villa so does practice them but all of the other three would have been ahead of him for me. I'm not sure we can say he's "taking the penalties now" either. Ryan Christie appears to be our established penalty taker. The only reason McGinn took last night's was Christie wasn't on the park.

I’d be amazed if he doesn’t take the next penalty we get. As you said he’s taken two penalties for Scotland, and scored both of them.

One of the reasons he’ll have taken that last night is that he’s got the goal scoring record in his sights now. With that in mind, I’m sure he’ll be taking them, until/unless he misses one. 
He’ll surely be on 20 something goals by his 30th birthday, and then the count down is on. 

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

I’d be amazed if he doesn’t take the next penalty we get. As you said he’s taken two penalties for Scotland, and scored both of them.

One of the reasons he’ll have taken that last night is that he’s got the goal scoring record in his sights now. With that in mind, I’m sure he’ll be taking them, until/unless he misses one. 
He’ll surely be on 20 something goals by his 30th birthday, and then the count down is on. 

I think it was more because he was the captain on the night and took on the responsibility. I still think Christie will take the next one if he's on the pitch. Clarke won't give a monkey's about McGinn's scoring record.

I'd be surprised if he can make the 30 - finding another 12 against our likely opposition over the next 2-3 years could be tricky.  I suspect time may just run out.

I agree with the above - he's not built like McGregor who looks like he could do a Modric and play at a high level until 37/38.  He's more in the Rooney-esq build, and whilst he's more disciplined, less attacking, and relies less on pace, you would think that his drop off could happen quickly.

That said, though his record is 0.29 goals a game, if you remove his first 15 games before he scored and started to be used further up the pitch, it's a goal every 0.38 games.  Split the difference and keep it going and he needs 36 games for another 12.

Assuming he plays all our minimum number of games next year, he'll get 13 matches and would need to score 4 to stay on track.

A fun consideration no doubt.  The other element is that he's not a flat track bully, and tends to score single goals against decent opposition.

McGinn will score 12 goals at the tournament with a hat trick in the final beating England.

His winning goal in the 3-2 win will bounce off his arse following a Pickford attempted clearance. 

This will lead to a world record transfer from Villa and all Hibs and St Mirren fans will cheer as we get a cut of the transfer fee. 

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

McGinn will score 12 goals at the tournament with a hat trick in the final beating England.

His winning goal in the 3-2 win will bounce off his arse following a Pickford attempted clearance. 

This will lead to a world record transfer from Villa and all Hibs and St Mirren fans will cheer as we get a cut of the transfer fee. 

The St Mirren Twitter admin would have a busy summer with the amount of ex-buddy John Mcginn posts.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Quite surprised to see McTominay on 47 caps.  

He's one of a few who could hit 50 caps around the time of the Euros (Christie, Armstrong, Hanley and Tierney* the others)

We had one player on 50+ caps at the last Euros (Craig Gordon, who didn't play) but we could end up finishing the tournament with nine this time. Hopefully that'll have a positive effect in some form. 

*Tierney's very much a long shot as it would require us making the semis and him playing every game between now and then

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He's one of a few who could hit 50 caps around the time of the Euros (Christie, Armstrong, Hanley and Tierney* the others)

We had one player on 50+ caps at the last Euros (Craig Gordon, who didn't play) but we could end up finishing the tournament with nine this time. Hopefully that'll have a positive effect in some form. 

*Tierney's very much a long shot as it would require us making the semis and him playing every game between now and then

Good to know Tierney will finish the next Euros on 51 caps then

Surely one of the highest and most diverse scoring teams we’ve had in a long time.

I make it 14 current squad members have scored.

Then adams, Robertson, tierney, Hanley, Nisbett from recent squads all have goals.

don’t expect Mcginn to get to the 30 but could get to 3rd place. 

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

Surely one of the highest and most diverse scoring teams we’ve had in a long time.

I make it 14 current squad members have scored.

Then adams, Robertson, tierney, Hanley, Nisbett from recent squads all have goals.

don’t expect Mcginn to get to the 30 but could get to 3rd place. 

There's a couple of statos in here, but I'd imagine McGinn has more goals than some our entire starting XI at points in the last decade.  McTominay and McGinn will have close to, or more goals than most squads we had.

Of all our most likely sides, only Hickey is missing a goal now.  Can't imagine he'll do a Hutton, and complete his career without at least a few.

Who is our highest scoring defender ever?

I think it's all been said above, however I can't see McGinn getting into 1st or 2nd place, purely when you consider the ranking of teams we are likely to face, but I bet you he'll give it a right good go.

I like McGinn, he's a smashing player who gives everything for Scotland so would actually love for him to do it, but i'm sure those who were around when Dalgleish was banging them in, said the same about him.

6 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I like McGinn, he's a smashing player who gives everything for Scotland so would actually love for him to do it, but i'm sure those who were around when Dalgleish was banging them in, said the same about him.

Seriously, what is it with the spelling of the names of Scotland legends?