All Time Top Scorers

After John Mcginn moved into 6th on the all time scorers list tied with Kenny Miller on 18 goals, how much higher do we think he can go? 29 just now so a few years left but interested in other folks opinions. I reckon 3rd is definitely achieveable for him but 1st might be out of reach 

Stole the graphic below from Scotlands Coefficient on twitter. 

126D265B-6831-47AF-AE38-6775F3C81B2A.png.637805624e39ff57e7351c923e321ad2.png

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t break the goal scoring record, especially given he’s taking the penalties now and the sheer amount of international games we play.
He always shows up to play for Scotland, avoiding those annoying ‘injuries’ that affect so many others around the international break. He also doesn’t seem the type that would to retire from the Scotland team, so I expect him to get caps well into his mid 30’s if he stays fit.
In that case he just needs a couple of goals a year to do it, and he’s been averaging far more than that. 
Would never have thought I was looking at a potential all time record Scotland goal scorer when the scrawny 18 year old defensive midfielder first broke into the St Mirren team all those years ago. 
I think he will end up on well over 100 caps and around 35 goals. 

Edited by Lex

Just now, Clangers said:

I am dyslexic so confused me, it’s the surnames that are different. Also the goals scored aren’t the same it’s 23 v 24.

Edit. Quick google and Gallacher (iPad auto correct wants Gallagher!) scored 5 v Ireland (Scotland Hall of Fame] select but is credited with 4 by some sources (SFA)

13 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Stole the graphic below from Scotlands Coefficient on twitter. 

126D265B-6831-47AF-AE38-6775F3C81B2A.png.637805624e39ff57e7351c923e321ad2.png

Worth noting that Denis Law had scored 80% of his international goals by the time he was 25. Might have got into the 40s if his knees had held up better.

Wild that King Kenny remains our last player to score over 20!

12 hours ago, Lex said:

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t break the goal scoring record, especially given he’s taking the penalties now and the sheer amount of international games we play.
He always shows up to play for Scotland, avoiding those annoying ‘injuries’ that affect so many others around the international break. He also doesn’t seem the type that would to retire from the Scotland team, so I expect him to get caps well into his mid 30’s if he stays fit.
In that case he just needs a couple of goals a year to do it, and he’s been averaging far more than that. 
Would never have thought I was looking at a potential all time record Scotland goal scorer when the scrawny 18 year old defensive midfielder first broke into the St Mirren team all those years ago. 
I think he will end up on well over 100 caps and around 35 goals. 

Just saying last night I never thought I was looking at a player of this level when he was playing against us in the Championship for Hibs. He was good, best player on the pitch usually, but didn't look good enough to step up as far as he has. He just seems to get better and better and the position we have for him which is almost between midfield and forwards seems to suit him perfectly.

Was surprised he took the penalty last night with McLean (anchor penalty in our previous shoot outs) and McTominay, scored in both also and our top scorer in the tournament were on the pitch. McGregor too scored in both of them. McGinn only took one in the first one v Israel and whilst he scored it, he was damned lucky with Marciano diving over it and fumbling it into his own net. He said afterward that he's 2nd choice taker at Villa so does practice them but all of the other three would have been ahead of him for me. I'm not sure we can say he's "taking the penalties now" either. Ryan Christie appears to be our established penalty taker. The only reason McGinn took last night's was Christie wasn't on the park.

Yip I thought it'd be McTominay, but I do remember hearing that McGinn was competing with Luiz for being Villa's taker so it might be something he's improved in.

Pretty much all of our best penalty takers are backup players (Ferguson, Shankland and even John Souttar), so it's a good thing that we don't get them very often.

I can't see him scoring 12 more goals for Scotland given that his game is all about his physicality and he probably only has another 2/3 years before that starts to drop off. I think he'll keep being a regular squad member for a long time, and probably has a great shout of breaking the cap record, but I can see his game changing to be a more deep lying player soon enough.

Probably helps McGinn in getting the nod on penalties that Austin MacPhee is also at Villa with him working on them according to McGinn's post match interview.

The thing that might harm him with goals over the next couple of years is our level of opposition will be getting better. Nations League group A will be much tougher plus the qualifiers reducing to groups of 4 and 5 from 5 and 6 possibly means less games v minnows and any friendlies arranged to replace the number of qualifiers I suspect won't be against the likes of San Marino.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I can't see him scoring 12 more goals for Scotland given that his game is all about his physicality and he probably only has another 2/3 years before that starts to drop off. I think he'll keep being a regular squad member for a long time, and probably has a great shout of breaking the cap record, but I can see his game changing to be a more deep lying player soon enough.

Him and Robertson both have a great chance with them being on 62 and 67 caps respectively and still only 29.