Euro 2024 Draw (Saturday 2nd December 5pm)

Hendricks

I don't know if anyone has posted this already, but if we make it out of our group I don't think we can be paired with a team from Group D (France, Netherlands, Austria, Playoff winner A) in the round of 16.

I just checked wiki, so it's not fullproof.

Edited by 2426255

2 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Stating that Scotland will do well and may indeed struggle, to get out of that group is not negativity but reality based on our standing in international football and our history of failure. I cannot be arsed with the 'get them pumped' cheerleading that passes as support among some people....

As opposed to our tradition of seeing  Lithuania as a difficult game? where did the losers mentality get us in the past?  fuckin naewhere, that's where

Just now, effeffsee_the2nd said:

As opposed to our tradition of seeing  Lithuania as a difficult game? where did the losers mentality get us in the past?  fuckin naewhere, that's where

Fan mentality is irrelevant to how well the team will perform.

10 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fan mentality is irrelevant to how well the team will perform.

not true,  mentality, support and expectation all feed into a greater collective mindset amongst the teams and management. for the same reason as games played in front of large and noisy support tend to be faster and more energetic than ones played in front of sparse and quiet crowds. 

The collect malaise around our capability definitely affected the mindset of players and managers in the past even if they might not have been world class otherwise

Success doesn't start because of the fans, it's the players and the manager. If the players and manager have that then it's all that matters. The siege mentality, us against the world is exactly that and is very effective thus proving it's only the individuals actively participating that require to believe. If the fans are on board and positive it's preferable, but not necessary.

The collective malaise we experienced (1998 - 2020) wasn't remedied by the fans. Fans follow, they don't set the mood. That's clear, so pipe down.

Edited by 2426255

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Stating that Scotland will do well and may indeed struggle, to get out of that group is not negativity but reality based on our standing in international football and our history of failure. I cannot be arsed with the 'get them pumped' cheerleading that passes as support among some people....

You're entitled to your opinion but...

Scotland have qualified for a European football festival in the homeland of Oktoberfest and Bavarian beer halls. Regardless of who was in the group I'd be buzzing to go to Germany. Absolute party with beer steins in the air.

However it's a very hard group but not the nightmare group that Wales could be in.

Edited by come on shire

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I don't know if anyone has posted this already, but if we make it out of our group I don't think we can be paired with a team from Group D (France, Netherlands, Austria, Playoff winner A) in the round of 16.

I just checked wiki, so it's not fullproof.

No, we can't.

If we win the group (well,  we could, I suppose) we face runner-up from Group C (England, Denmark, Slovenia, Serbia).

If we go through as runners-up we face runner-up from Group B (Spain, Albania, Croatia, Italy).

If we qualify as one of the four best third place teams, it's complicated. We would have a 3/10 chance of playing the winner of the Spain group, a 1/5 chance of playing the winner of Group E (Belgium, Slovakia, Romania, Play-Off Winner B) and a 1/2 chance of playing the winner of Group F (Portugal, Türkiye, Czechia, Play-Off Winner C).

Anyone know what tickets are allocated to the SSC members? Notice there’s obviously 4 different prices for different areas of the stadium but don’t see anything mentioning where our allocation will be, I’m assuming the official fans sections for each country are in a block? 

46 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Anyone know what tickets are allocated to the SSC members? Notice there’s obviously 4 different prices for different areas of the stadium but don’t see anything mentioning where our allocation will be, I’m assuming the official fans sections for each country are in a block? 

Pretty sure they're mostly behind the goals in each game, so i expect it'll be largely Cat 3.  

Fingers crossed for the cheapest ones for Munich, i don't fancy paying 600 euros

12 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I'd be fuming if we considered Lithuania a difficult game these days TBH. They're remarkably poor compared to their glory days of being a pain in the arse for most teams visiting Vilnius. Although they were pretty shite when we struggled to a fortunate home draw against them under Strachan too.

Yes, I realise this isn't the point!

11 hours ago, come on shire said:

You're entitled to your opinion but...

Scotland have qualified for a European football festival in the homeland of Oktoberfest and Bavarian beer halls. Regardless of who was in the group I'd be buzzing to go to Germany. Absolute party with beer steins in the air.

However it's a very hard group but not the nightmare group that Wales could be in.

Mmm...very hard is a bit much. Two sides roughly on our level, with very different recent form, and a top nation experiencing possibly their worst period since murdering millions of people. It's tough, and you could easily see us finishing bottom if things don't go well, but an on-form swashbuckling McGinn & co could just as equally come out on top too. Obviously history gives us reason to be cautious!

Apparently I'm in the mood for being picky about semantics this morning.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

I'd be fuming if we considered Lithuania a difficult game these days TBH. They're remarkably poor compared to their glory days of being a pain in the arse for most teams visiting Vilnius. Although they were pretty shite when we struggled to a fortunate home draw against them under Strachan too.

Yes, I realise this isn't the point!

Mmm...very hard is a bit much. Two sides roughly on our level, with very different recent form, and a top nation experiencing possibly their worst period since murdering millions of people. It's tough, and you could easily see us finishing bottom if things don't go well, but an on-form swashbuckling McGinn & co could just as equally come out on top too. Obviously history gives us reason to be cautious!

Apparently I'm in the mood for being picky about semantics this morning.

We’ll find out in June if it’s very hard or not Phnarr Phnarr.

Recent results show that if our superstar full backs and competent ‘keeper aren’t available we’re fucked.

8 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Recent results show that if our superstar full backs and competent ‘keeper aren’t available we’re fucked.

Wouldn't be surprised if something very similar is true of the other three nations, so pretty much a moot point.

• 2 months later...

Not sure where to put this, but I wanted to have a wee superficial look at our opponents at Euro-2024. Below is the players called up to each team in the last year split into four categories: Goalkeepers, Defenders, Midfielders, Attackers.

image.thumb.png.0e9add2da196db37f4ed8a927ab15aae.png

It's pretty obvious Germany have a squad available to them playing at the highest club level of the four teams, no surprise there. Switzerland probably next, but Scotland not a million miles behind.

Hungary are the real surprise for me. Their manager has worked wonders with that squad of players. I've heard good things about Marco Rossi and it's been suggested several times already from different sources that they're quite similar in style to Scotland and you can see why that would be the case as they only have a handful of top level or even mid level club players.