Euro 2024 Draw (Saturday 2nd December 5pm)

Hendricks

Can see our Finals playing out in my mind right now. 

We get an "easy" group of England, Albania, Scotland, Wales. Draw in the opening fixture v's England courtesy of Southgate being his usual massive shiter self and playing not to lose, utterly robbed by Wales in the 2nd game after a hilarious dive in our box is somehow not overturned by VAR, then Clarke has a brainfart, plays two up front against Albania in the final game, we Morocco it after Ryan Porteous gets a red for hooking someone in the 3rd minute, we finish bottom of the "easiest" group imaginable with one solitary point.

It's the Scotland way.

1 hour ago, ScottMc77 said:

Jammy for Wales, they have a great chance to make it now. 

I'm hoping Luxembourg can turn Georgia over, but seems unlikely.

If you take away their two pumpings against Portugal then their qualifying record was pretty good. Looking at the teams at a similar level to Georgia, they beat Bosnia home and away, four points against Iceland and a draw and a narrow defeat against Slovakia.

With Georgia missing Kvaratskhelia, I’d say Luxembourg have a good chance.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I think if you a add the better play-off teams to pot-4 based on the draw then it begins to look a bit more challenging. Serbia, Switzerland, Italy, Ukraine, Poland/Wales, Greece. I'd still probably prefer to be drawn against a play-off team, but none of those teams would be straightforward wins.

If this plays out then Pot 4 will be tougher than pots 2 & 3. Must be the first time that’s happened at a Euros or WC you imagine

If I was anyone playing Georgia, I'd be doing my absolute level best to take it to the trenches and properly shithouse them.  They almost had a fucking aneurism when it rained in Glasgow, and the home game they dragged it down themselves.  Reducer on K-Rat the first minute, and spend the rest of the game acting like proper dicks.  

1 hour ago, forameus said:

If I was anyone playing Georgia, I'd be doing my absolute level best to take it to the trenches and properly shithouse them.  They almost had a fucking aneurism when it rained in Glasgow, and the home game they dragged it down themselves.  Reducer on K-Rat the first minute, and spend the rest of the game acting like proper dicks.  

Might be tricky as he's suspended for the semi-final, after a catastrophically stupid decision to play him in Spain on Sunday night, whereby he picked up a 3rd booking! 

9 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It's good and probably healthy to be optimistic. Well done you.

It's not remotely optimistic.  I don't know why you're being silly about it.

A single win would almost certainly get us through if accompanied by just 1 more point.  Even if accompanied by two defeats, it might potentially be enough.  All the evidence of previous tournaments tells us this.

Your idea that we must perform at the very peak of our capacity in 2, possibly 3, games in order to get through is therefore fallacious.

6 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

We'd have been away to Bosnia as seeding would've been 1. Israel, 2. Bosnia, 3. Scotland, 4. Whoever was drawn into the path.

Would we not have got a home semi final as we won our Nation's League group?

11 hours ago, nate said:

Good post, but it’s worth pointing out that both Bulgaria and Uruguay have reached the knockout stages of a 24-team tournament (WC 86)with a miserly 2 points. It seems a bit ridiculous but that’s what you get with an expanded (I.e diluted) Euros where nearly 50% of the original entrants (discounting the absolute bottom feeders) qualify for the Finals, and a whopping two-thirds of these qualifiers make it to R16. We’ve never had a better chance to make it through, given this is essentially a kind of Euros Lite. Fans of nations with respectable qualification records who didn’t make it to Germany must be fuming (hello Ireland)

Only 2 points for a win in 1986 though. I'd say these days it'd be almost impossible to qualify as a best 3rd place with 2 points (ironically you could be a group runner up with 2 points though).

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not remotely optimistic.  I don't know why you're being silly about it.

A single win would almost certainly get us through if accompanied by just 1 more point.  Even if accompanied by two defeats, it might potentially be enough.  All the evidence of previous tournaments tells us this.

Your idea that we must perform at the very peak of our capacity in 2, possibly 3, games in order to get through is therefore fallacious.

It's good to be optimistic. Keep it up. 👍

Seeding a draw doesn't really work when the holders, who also happen to be the 9th best team in the world / 7th best team in Europe, can end up in pot 4 IMO.

It would genuinely annoy me if we draw a FIFA ranked top 10 team from pot 4.

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

So what's our record like against the seeds?

(W-D-L)

Germany: 4-5-8 (0-2-6 competitive)
Portugal: 4-3-8 (2-2-4 competitive)
France: 8-0-9 (3-0-2 competitive)
Spain: 4-4-7 (3-1-6 competitive)
Belgium: 4-3-13 (2-2-10 competitive)
England: 41-26-49 (1-2-3 competitive)

Strangely enough, tournament favourites France are undeniably our best option, going on past results. Spain and England would probably be the next best along with Portugal, but we've not played them in a consequential game since the traumatising 5-0 defeat in 1993.

Avoiding Belgium might be a good thing, considering they've beaten us in our last six consequential ties, and we've not beaten them in seven attempts since 1987. Like many teams, we've never beaten Germany in a game that mattered.

Doesn't necessarily mean a lot in a one-off game, but interesting nonetheless. I'll do the other pots over the weekend if I have time, or someone else doesn't get to it first!

Scotland have beaten England in at least 2 "competitive" games, both at Wembley (1967 and 1999).

45 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Seeding a draw doesn't really work when the holders, who also happen to be the 9th best team in the world / 7th best team in Europe, can end up in pot 4 IMO.

It would genuinely annoy me if we draw a FIFA ranked top 10 team from pot 4.

I think outside of Pot 1 it's much of a muchness. Probably not too different to the old Euros draws where there were top seeds and then everyone else was lumped in together.

At least the seedings are based on competitive games and it's fairly transparent where you need to finish to get into each seeding pot. Much better than the utter nonsense method of basing it on FIFA rankings which include, for some unfathomable reason, friendlies.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

23 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Scotland have beaten England in at least 2 "competitive" games, both at Wembley (1967 and 1999).

Was 1967  "competitive" because it counted as a qualifier of sorts?  

If that's the case, then quite a few earlier ones would have counted too.

In fact, Home Internationals would have been considered competitive for much of their existence, so the nature of fixtures with England is a bit trickier to define.