Arbroath's Next Permanent Manager 23/24 Edition

Who will be Arbroath's next permanent manager?  

217 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Apologies for the delay on this one! Quite a hard list to make since the whole backroom staff bar Malcolm left and Arbroath are pretty synonymous with Campbell.

Anyway, usual list of no hopers and genuine candidates apply.

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Genuinely, who the f**k is Grant Brebner? 

Former Hibs player. Last managed Melbourne Victory in Australia.

Been linked with a good few Scottish jobs over the past few years. He was meant to be second choice to Shaun Maloney for us when we eventually appointed Gary Bowyer (so obviously wasn't). But appears to have been wanting to get into the Scottish game for a while.

And I'd ran out of other feasible names by that point tbh.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Former Hibs player. Last managed Melbourne Victory in Australia.

Been linked with a good few Scottish jobs over the past few years. He was meant to be second choice to Shaun Maloney for us when we eventually appointed Gary Bowyer (so obviously wasn't). But appears to have been wanting to get into the Scottish game for a while.

And I'd ran out of other feasible names by that point tbh.

And yet Scottish football’s greatest CV is nowhere to be seen.

Justice for Peter Grant. 

I think what we're looking for is a part time manager, not someone who is looking to make the jump to full time, so that rules out most of them.

We don't have a youth or reserve team, and everyone under 24 has been shot or had their spirit crushed, so we don't want someone too obsessed with "playing the right way", as they usually prefer full time and working with youngsters.

So that rules out more or less everyone.  Darren Young or Stuart Petrie for me.

38 minutes ago, virginton said:

Jim McInally is:

✅ local,

✅ an experienced, safe pair of hands and

✅ has a tremendous record in play-off football. 

Actually wouldn’t even be against this 

Would like Stewart Petrie - although his assistants are the Campbell junior brothers so not sure how that would go down..

Maybe a chance on Kevin Thomson if he was interested. Even if it was only for a couple of years. Would be well respected, done well before and has plenty of contacts in the game.

I feel bittersweet about today but looking forward to the next chapter regardless of what it brings.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I wouldn't be against Kevin Thomson, maybe he's a bit more realistic after the big clubs didnt immediately come calling for him after Kelty?

He’d said he wanted to be managing higher than League 2 but jobs and chances were extremely hard to come by - also only 39 so will have a long career regardless of how it went if he ever rocked up at Gayf. Will have so many contacts too and the respect of everyone who played for him - seems like a good guy to boot.

I’m all for it, I’m kind of passed the safe pair of hands and older gaffer route -  were in a great position off the park and at this moment in time have nothing to lose. Even if we were to go down I would obviously prefer us to stay in this division but following Arbroath will be enjoyable regardless and a fresh start with a coach with more modern and new ideas is appealing. 

His Kelty side were decent when they came to Gayfield - we’d have a big part time budget too so would be a similar role for him at a higher level. His Kelty team also weren’t silly in the way that other teams with modern coaches have been, your Darvels and Queens Parks - but they did try to play football. 

Think that would be a welcome change.