Stenhousemuir -vs- Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic (Saturday 2 December 2023)

After a miserable weekend with zero football, we're back to the big boys' stuff when Stenhousemuir take on Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic at Ochilview. The sides have played each other five times since the Rose won promotion to the SPFL, and all five games have been hard, hard work. The last meeting, a 1-0 win to the Warriors at New Dundas Park back in September, was particularly brutal. The law of averages says that at least one games is going to be a good laugh, so why not this one!

The home side come into this match in great form, winning four on the bounce. Stenhousemuir are playing well at the moment - we have a solid defence, the best player in the division in Michael Anderson (in my opinion!), and a strong array of attacking talent, with decent options in reserve. They'll come into this one as favourites but they're going to have to scrap and fight to get something from this Bonnyrigg team, who have arrested a sticky run with back-to-back victories. I don't think they're a particularly good team, and I find their approach tedious, but you have to admire their spirit and camaraderie. Stenny have been a bogey side for them and I've no doubt that will add an extra degree of motivation.

Stenhousemuir will line up with the same XI that beat Peterhead and Stranraer:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Adam Brown -

- Mikey Anderson - Nat Wedderburn -

- Kinlay Bilham - Gregor Buchanan - Nicky Jamieson - Edin Lynch -

- Darren Jamieson -

I fancy Stenhousemuir for this one. Anything else and I'd be disappointed, quite frankly, but I'm under no illusion how difficult this encounter is going to be!

Edin Lynch hasn't done anything to merit losing his place at the moment and against a gang of hammer-throwers like Bonnyrigg, I'd be doubly keen to keep him in there for the time being!

Ross Meechan's been okay this season. Not terrible at all, but not fabulous either. Just okay. He'll probably get a run-out with 20 minutes to go anyway; Gary Naysmith really seems to like subbing him on.

I was stunned, stunned, to see Bonnyrigg are competing with 'the Old Firm' (8&7) on penalties awarded in League fixtures this season, they have had seven. And yet, they sit outside the play-off places in League Two.

There goes that argument that the top teams attack more, and will obviously be awarded more penalties as a result. Bonnyrig have a 100% record of netting them, better than the dreadful duo, which contributed an astonishing one-third of their goals (21 scored). And another successful penalty on Saturday won their Scottish Cup tie at Cliftonhill. Defender Neil Martyniuk has netted all 8.

It'll be interesting to watch them in the box on Saturday.

They do get a ridiculous amount of penalties although the one that sticks in the mind is the one they didn't get against us last time we played them. After the game, and I presume before he had seen the footage, Robbie Horn said he hoped the referee would apologise when he watched it back. The foul was outside the box. My guess is that Horn didn't apologise to the referee. 

14 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

I was stunned, stunned, to see Bonnyrigg are competing with 'the Old Firm' (8&7) on penalties awarded in League fixtures this season, they have had seven. And yet, they sit outside the play-off places in League Two.

There goes that argument that the top teams attack more, and will obviously be awarded more penalties as a result. Bonnyrig have a 100% record of netting them, better than the dreadful duo, which contributed an astonishing one-third of their goals (21 scored). And another successful penalty on Saturday won their Scottish Cup tie at Cliftonhill. Defender Neil Martyniuk has netted all 8.

It'll be interesting to watch them in the box on Saturday.

Maybe when you are doing your school sums homework you should tell us the number of penalties given against said teams.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹

After Celtic results I always look out for the Eose result as my son Alex King played for them before they went into the Scottish 3rd division,Alex enjoyed his time at the Rose and I’ve not been to see them for a good while but hope they get a wee run out in the Scottish cup,Alex played for their under 35s for a wee while but he had bad injury when he played with Lithgy Rose and never really recovered fae it and now works away all the time as he’s a joiner and works up North and will do for a while,always be Celtic 🍀and the 🌹 Rose for me 🇮🇪🍀

The only thing that gives Stennie the remotest chance of getting a result here is home advantage. If this match was away, their powderpuff mob of flashy peahearts would be murdered in the opening 20 minutes by the much more athletic, much more spirited and much more honest opposition. As it happens though, Ochilview is a very tough place to go thanks to the cunning Warriors' ability to perform a sponsored silence for an entire game, you can expect to see a disconcerted Rose. 1-1.

4 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

The only thing that gives Stennie the remotest chance of getting a result here is home advantage. If this match was away, their powderpuff mob of flashy peahearts would be murdered in the opening 20 minutes by the much more athletic, much more spirited and much more honest opposition. As it happens though, Ochilview is a very tough place to go thanks to the cunning Warriors' ability to perform a sponsored silence for an entire game, you can expect to see a disconcerted Rose. 1-1.

We've won every match we've played at New Dundas Park since Bonnyrigg Rose's promotion to the SPFL.

12 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

wishing you well on your upcoming patter transplant operation 🤡

It's somewhat ironic that, if Forfar Athletic had a striker like this Matthew Aitken geezer, then they'd probably be in the top four.

Fair play. I didn't fancy him at all last season, but Gary Naysmith has clearly unlocked something in him. I was writing up the programme for next week and didn't realise how good his record is in the league this season. I also discovered we have exactly the same birthday, which has instantly made me warm to him.

3 minutes ago, Disco Duck said:

At this today as a neutral.  Bonnyrigg were awful.  Some of the Warriors players were decent.  The two sending offs were fucking hilarious.

Lack of games today meant I was at this as a neutral too. Your assessment is 100% accurate!