**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time**

Cheese

23 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Genuinely, would someone be able to explain to me why anyone enjoys only fools and horses?

I’ve seen it a few teams and find it to be, at best, the standard of Mrs Browns Boys. People can like what they like and that obviously, but I just don’t get it. 

I think there's quite a bit of nostalgia from older generations for what they consider to be the golden age of British sitcoms and TV. There was also only 4 channels back then, so there was often literally nothing else on. 24 million for an episode of a sitcom is crazy numbers we'll never see again probably. The character of Del Boy is the lovable rogue with all the catchphrases and an iconic vehicle.

Gomorrah (2014-2021)

29gomorrah1-mediumSquareAt3X.thumb.jpg.50928f8b5e33f20582435783ff837cca.jpg

"l'Immortale"

The highest foreign language entry in the list is this dark and authentic depection of the goings on and power struggles in the Naples underworld.

The X Files (1993-2018)

xfiles.0.0.thumb.jpg.0b0ecc55f920d0a23eb168b6061a506e.jpg

"the truth is out there"

One of the sexiest couples in TV history, believer Mulder and sceptical Scully investigate all manner of paranormal and strange goings on.

3 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

The X Files (1993-2018)

xfiles.0.0.thumb.jpg.0b0ecc55f920d0a23eb168b6061a506e.jpg

"the truth is out there"

One of the sexiest couples in TV history, believer Mulder and sceptical Scully investigate all manner of paranormal and strange goings on.

Above Star Trek?

tony.gif

Monty Python's Flying Circus (1969-1974)

c544e90fe718274803690ffbcf3d79e0.gif.56c9872ff640b71ccd8e72872827d898.gif

"This parrot is no more ! It has ceased to be ! It's expired and gone to meet its maker ! "

Absurdist and surreal skits and comedy from the team of Graham Chapman, Eric Idle, Michael Palin, Terry Jones, Terry Gilliam and John Cleese.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Genuinely, would someone be able to explain to me why anyone enjoys only fools and horses?

I’ve seen it a few teams and find it to be, at best, the standard of Mrs Browns Boys. People can like what they like and that obviously, but I just don’t get it. 

d32znko-6a0e60a1-af86-4098-ba90-b2a971db33c1.jpg

Deadwood (2004-2006)

deadwoodbullock.thumb.jpg.feacf73f67a3e4069709c1db8ac9c890.jpg

"I'd best go, lest Mr. Amalgamation and Capital here takes one through the fucking head"

A story of the death of the old west. And hookers. Big Lovejoy (the antique dealer, not Helen) steals the shows as Al Swearengen one of the many real life figures that appear. It's kinda like Red Dead Redemption 2: The TV series. I love this shit and it was number 4 in my list. @GHF-23 put it much more eloquently than me, so I'll just quote his post.

On 14/12/2023 at 10:08, GHF-23 said:

It's about how humans build society around symbols*, how society and community civilise people, and how capital and effective monopolies seek to destroy that. It's about how the West and America as a whole as we know it were made by a mixture of cunning idiots, conmen and two different kinds of brutal people - ones whose morality has been scraped away through years of brutality; and others who sometimes get so mad about things that they beat someone up and cry like a frustrated child. The characters are amazing as themselves but also almost all function as archetypes which the show examines a lot. I can't speak highly enough of it.

Auf Wiedersehen Pet (1983-2004)

auf_wiedersehen_pet_s2.jpg.bb0b5bf9f2bdc994a9342983d36a92ed.jpg

"Wy Aye man"

Written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, who have 2 entries in this list already with Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads ? and Porridge, score another one with the worldwide travelling adventures of a group of dodgy Geordie builders.

Partly responsible for Jimmy Nail's rise to fame and subsequent 'singing' career.

1 minute ago, Chris Partlow said:

Auf Wiedersehen Pet (1983-2004)

auf_wiedersehen_pet_s2.jpg.bb0b5bf9f2bdc994a9342983d36a92ed.jpg

"Wy Aye man"

Written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, who have 2 entries in this list already with Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads ? and Porridge, score another one with the worldwide travelling adventures of a group of dodgy Geordie builders.

Partly responsible for Jimmy Nail's rise to fame and subsequent 'singing' career.

No way. You fuckers are just trolling me now. 

tumblr_inline_oqqog0xh0O1sbaln4_500.gif

The Thick of It (2005-2012)

peter-capaldi-what-the-hell.gif.38d7459e555f0cb9bd3451ec1f742db8.gif

"You're so back-bench, you've actually fucking fallen off. You're out by the fucking bins where I put you"

Falling from 8th place in 2012 is The Thick of It, as the iconic and incredibly sweary spin doctor Malcolm Tucker does his best to mitigate the clownshoes around him in Westminster. A shame our real life political class see this as some sort of instruction manual rather than the satire it is.

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

If Peep Show is a main player, I'm declaring a mistrial.

Hide contents

I have never seen it...but David Mitchell?

Honestly mate, some of the best TV I have ever seen. 

Give it a whirl.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Peep Show is fantastic. Get it watched.

If you aren't into cringe humour then you won't get it tbqh. 

There will be several comedies on this list that come into that category - that kind of humour can be very marmite.

There's a good article that explains why some people love cringe comedy and others hare it.

https://bigthink.com/high-culture/cringe-comedy/

I'm personally in the hate camp.

😁

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh