**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time**

D Angelo Barksdale

Band of Brothers (2021)

band-of-brothers-1-3000x1688.thumb.jpg.1270c0f6ff58a86bfd54c13df07de24c.jpg

"it's been a long war, it's been a tough war"

Hanks and Spielberg teamed up again after Saving Private Ryan for some more WW2 action in this acclaimed and mostly historically accurate mini series as we see Easy Company negotiate basic training, the Normandy landings, Operation Market Garden and concentration camp liberation.

20 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That tends to be true for a lot of cringe comedy.

Those who don't like this won't like Peep Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm etc either.

I find that too. It’s very subtle and, dare I say, intelligent, comedy that some people don’t like/get. Theirs needs to be obvious with clear gags, catchphrases and punchlines.

Posted (edited)

The West Wing (1996-2006)

pictured-john-spencer-as-leo-mcgarry-dule-hill-as-charlie-news-photo-1568916006.thumb.jpg.7179b6a048ab9609226438782c9d32bf.jpg

"We will do what is hard. We will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes and we will reach for the stars"

Up 3 places from 9th in 2012, Sorkin's The West Wing was mostly a huge critical and commercial success.

There was a bit of back and forth on the merits of this earlier in the thread, so I'd like to invite some more of this.

Was this a glorious parallel universe and the perfect antidote to both the Bush Administration and the anti politician/Washington vibes ? Or is this show a sentimental and patronising liberal fantasy ?

Is President Bartlet the most famous, or best fictional President ?

Edited by Chris Partlow

1 minute ago, Chris Partlow said:

pictured-john-spencer-as-leo-mcgarry-dule-hill-as-charlie-news-photo-1568916006.thumb.jpg.7179b6a048ab9609226438782c9d32bf.jpg

"We will do what is hard. We will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes and we will reach for the stars"

Up 3 places from 9th in 2012, Sorkin's The West Wing was mostly a huge critical and commercial success.

There was a bit of back and forth on the merits of this earlier in the thread, so I'd like to invite some more of this.

Was this a glorious parallel universe and the perfect antidote to both the Bush Administration and the anti politician/Washington vibes ? Or is this show a sentimental and patronising liberal fantasy ?

Is President Bartlett the most famous, or best fictional President ?

Bartlet. 

22 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I find that too. It’s very subtle and, dare I say, intelligent, comedy that some people don’t like/get. Theirs needs to be obvious with clear gags, catchphrases and punchlines.

It might just be my absolute hatred for Gervais, but I enjoyed Peep Show and Curb, while I couldn't stand The Office. Not a fan of the American version either

35 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Irii6n2ZNz29.gif

Better Call Saul (2015-2022)

aiwdaMcbbpKUTtC7FZfJ4W-1200-80.thumb.jpg.6306c5c351dd525afaf17700c68ff43b.jpg

"perfection is the enemy of perfectly adequate"

I believe I said Line of Duty was the highest new entry, but it's obviously this.

Bob Odenkirk is Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman/Gene Takavic as all your favs from creator Vince Gilligan's Breaking Bad  appear along the way as we explore the moral decline of Slippin' Jimmy in a spin off show that some rate higher than the original.

4 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

Better Call Saul (2015-2022)

aiwdaMcbbpKUTtC7FZfJ4W-1200-80.thumb.jpg.6306c5c351dd525afaf17700c68ff43b.jpg

"perfection is the enemy of perfectly adequate"

I believe I said Line of Duty was the highest new entry, but it's obviously this.

Bob Odenkirk is Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman/Gene Takavic as all your favs from creator Vince Gilligan's Breaking Bad  appear along the way as we explore the moral decline of Slippin' Jimmy in a spin off show that some rate higher than the original.

Chicago Sunroof

The Simpsons (1989-)

IMG_20240104_201900.thumb.jpg.8c3bfec82177aa772bc5c3984b88e29e.jpg

"won't somebody please think of the children"

We'll have a new winner then. Dropping from runaway no 1 to a lowly 4th is the (now incredibly) long running, animated show The Simpsons 

Is this the most famous TV show in the world ? A cultural landmark undoubtedly and it probably still holds the moral no.1 spot on this forum where it is quoted virtually everyday and numerous posters have characters as their online identities or avatars.

There's no getting away from the decline in quality over the years, but seasons 4-7 (I'd accept pushing this to 3-9) are incredible TV with banger after banger and some episodes packing more quality quips, gags and set peices in them than other shows manage in a whole season.

Was in my list and Last Exit To Springfield is probably my favourite episode.

33 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

Is President Bartlet the most famous, or best fictional President ?

WW and The Newsroom are both examples of Sorkin's wish fulfilment so this is true but doesn't detract from it.

Seasons 1-4 of The West Wing are some of the best TV ever. Unashamedly intelligent writing and great characters with just the right amount of comedy. I've learned so much about politics, Latin and other trivia just from watching and rewatching this show. 

After season 4 Sorkin leaves and the humour goes with him. It makes the show darker and less easy to connect with. Some episodes (The Supremes) and a lot of the final season with Alan Alda are you there with the best of it, but the direction they take Toby in is a big black mark.