**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time**

Cheese

7 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

The Sopranos (1997-2007)

IMG_20240104_205538.thumb.jpg.2d3dfc4c03572967b95e8778b2483eeb.jpg

"he killed 16 Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator"

"His house looked like shit"

Pie and Bovril's number 1 TV Show Of All Time is The Sopranos. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this.

A worthy winner with (at a rough glance) over a third of contributors putting this in their top 10. You've all got some set of balls on you.

I probably don't need to go too much into the story as most will know it. It kicked off a golden era of the small screen, changed the idea of what 'good tv' should be and laid some of the groundwork and influenced what came after.

As with The Wire, I'll let others do the honours of describing why it's so good and give thanks to everyone who participated in this poll. It was great fun.

cfd.gif

Anyway, I think it's reassuring that people on here mostly seem to have good taste. I'll put I, Claudius' lowly position down to ignorance rather than stupidity and take solace from the fact that no P&Bers like Mrs Brown's Boys or Miranda and so I might not have to ban anybody this evening.

Well done, all.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Though not my personal favourite, The Sopranos is clearly the best show ever made. A wonderful exploration of character with so, so many episodes and scenes utterly unparalleled in TV.

Without Tony Soprano there is no Dexter, no Vic Mackey, no Walter White, no Saul Goodman. He changed TV as did the whole show.

I am on my umpteenth rewatch now. Sadly just watched one with Chrissy and Tony B taking the piss out of Tony Soprano about his weight. "A heart attack waiting to happen" they said. James Gando!fini (the only actor who could ever do this role justice) died of one in 2013, aged just 51.

Well deserved number 1 slot.

29 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

The Sopranos (1997-2007)

IMG_20240104_205538.thumb.jpg.2d3dfc4c03572967b95e8778b2483eeb.jpg

"he killed 16 Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator"

"His house looked like shit"

Pie and Bovril's number 1 TV Show Of All Time is The Sopranos. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this.

A worthy winner with (at a rough glance) over a third of contributors putting this in their top 10. You've all got some set of balls on you.

I probably don't need to go too much into the story as most will know it. It kicked off a golden era of the small screen, changed the idea of what 'good tv' should be and laid some of the groundwork and influenced what came after.

As with The Wire, I'll let others do the honours of describing why it's so good and give thanks to everyone who participated in this poll. It was great fun.

Excellent thread with the results curated in a very informative and informed manner. However, I can only surmise that access to Deadwood was restricted, otherwise it would surely have ranked highly.  Al Swearengen would have some choice words to say about these results.

Much better entertainment than Palace vs Everton.

On 18/12/2023 at 22:49, eindhovendee said:

1. Early Doors - first watched it when it came out 20 years ago, incredible characters that all seem very real, the writing us superb from Craig Cash and Phil Mealey, watched it all again recently, still cried at the same bit and pissed myself laughing at the rest. Genius, just wish they'd made more. 83

2. Gone Fishing - the most relaxing half an hour on telly and Bob is on it. 64

3. World At War - I like a documentary but I think this was made at the right time, enough of the players still around to be interviewed, narration from Laurence Olivier which gives it extra gravitas and the haunting music. Perfect. 18

4. Better Call Saul- Bob Odenkirk is great, the series is so well thought out. 5 

5. After Life - not everybody's cup of tea but my favourite thing RG has done. Unplaced.

6. Upright - Australian buddy series with Tim Minchin and Milly Allcock humping a piano across Australia to Perth, much funnier than you'd expect. Unplaced

7. Shooting Stars - some of it seems dated now but it's still funny as f**k. Their scenes from movies, wow. When Ulrika, playing Barbara Windsor's character in Carry on camping, loses her bikini top and Sid, played by Bob, comes out with "they're the longest tits I've ever seen". 😀 Unplaced.

8. Derry Girls - laugh out loud comedy set in the troubles with Sister George Michael getting the best one liners, great music too. 40

9. True Detectives series one - the chemistry between the two, might be brothers in real life, stars make it edge of the seat stuff. 37

10. Rake - Australian comedy drama, our hero is a drunken, drug taking womanising lawyer and that's his good points. Rake brawling in the street with someone that has had the cheek to press the green man even though it had already been pressed is gold. Unplaced.

1. 83

2. 64

3. 18

4. 5

5. Unplaced. 

6. Unplaced. 

7. Unplaced 

8. 40

9. 37

10. Unplaced. 

Happy with that.

Well done to @Chris Partlow for the effort. 

50 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Also disappointed by the lack of Always Sunny. The best US sitcom of the century.

This. The list should be null and void as a result. 

Also, Better Call Saul >>> Breaking Bad 

download (17).jpeg

On 03/12/2023 at 01:52, Arch Stanton said:

Better Call Saul

The Wire

Fawlty Towers

Breaking Bad

The Simpsons (pre -seson 7)

Frasier

Grange Hill

Dr Who

Love Thy Neighbour 

Mind Your Language  

Unplaced

Unplaced (unsurprisingly)

Unplaced (unsurprisingly)

Missed the voting on this, so here's the real top 10

10 - Nathan For You

9 - Twin Peaks

8 - The Bridge 

7 - Around the World in 80 Days with Michael Palin

6 - Succession 

5 - Planet Earth

4 - Monkey 

3 - Better Call Saul 

2 - Transparent

1 - The Sopranos 

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

This. The list should be null and void as a result. 

Also, Better Call Saul >>> Breaking Bad 

download (17).jpeg

I've just finished watching my way through Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul and it's the first time I've watched the full series of both back to back and I'd have to agree.

I'm first watch I found Better Call Saul hard to get into and a bit slow paced over the first couple of seasons but watching again I appreciate the first few seasons much more. 

I feel Better Call Saul has better characters as a whole and a better story arc but both are fantastic pieces of television.

Sopranos was my number one pick and a worthy winner. Never watched anything that has me gripped every single time I watch it through