Motherwell vs St Johnstone - Race to the bottom

We definitely improved off the ball today but we were really poor on the ball. We didn’t seem to have a plan of attack to be honest. 

Liam Kelly is never a captain and has been a liability for too long. He needs replaced as captain and benched. 

Shock horror that Gent and Davor were fine. Probably two of our better performers tbh. It makes the fact neither have started or had many minutes even more bizarre. 

Spencer looked like he’d never played right wing back before. He didn’t make any runs or look to get on the ball. Really poor from him.

I thought Shaw, Wilkinson and in particular Bair all contributed when they came on. 

However, that’ll now be over 100 days since we last won so Cheerio Stuart.

5 hours ago, welldaft said:

The only mistake Kettlewell is making at the moment is not taking the decision to relieve Kelly of the captaincy. It is affecting his performances. If it is not that he needs dropped.

Sitting in the away end today it was noticeable how annoyed he was getting at the team in front of him. Not sure if he is like that every week but it must affect his concentration.

www.youtube.com/@DerekTaylor84

Edited by derektaylor84

Yeah Motherwell are effectively just us by Davidsons end.

Play well, miss half chances, concede from nothing. Zero response until you just launch attackers at it. Then you either get a point due to sheer force of numbers in the box, or you get thumped as your lack of shape is exposed.

Theres clearly a good team in there that just needs a new voice installing some confidence in them though.

7 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Shock horror that Gent and Davor were fine. Probably two of our better performers tbh. It makes the fact neither have started or had many minutes even more bizarre. 

I thought Gent was our man of the match. Not without a few mistakes, but he was solid, confident and a threat going forward. 

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres clearly a good team in there that just needs a new voice installing some confidence in them though.

That’s it for me. Think we have the guts of a decent side, but weird formations, players played out of position, individual mistakes, goalie playing well below his best etc all contributing to our inability to win. 

A Craig Brown type appointment would sort us right out. 

7 minutes ago, Swami said:

I know that Ross County fans have mentioned this before, but the chucking on of four strikers and hoping to salvage something is fucking exhausting, tiresome and desperate. 

Seems to work 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Well done Motherwell, obviously got a fighting spirit the way they keep coming back for draws.

But f**k me that’s a shocking waste of points by us. Motherwell were really poor and posed no threat at all the entire second half, then Smith and Brown leave Bair in acres of space on the edge of our box for a great cross and brilliant header.

Special mention to Costelloe for kicking the ball out in our half moments earlier when he had ages to clear it deep into the Motherwell half.

We were brutal first half but much better in the second.

Suppose we didn’t deserve to win midweek with an injury time goal so swings and roundabouts.

Costelloe should’ve put the ball in the corner to chase,went down far too softly looking for a foul,soft plick!!

30 minutes ago, ropy said:

Great great ball in from Bair, he has made a number of contributions this season.

27 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Did more in 15 mins than Obika, the useless big lump of wood did in the 75 before it.

Not sure if the BBC are taking the piss out of Motherwell here, or St Johnstone, or both.

image.png.fbcd448a334c8db83fd8b09464e4a955.png

Bair lacks any real quality but makes up for it with effort. Obika moved quickest when he got hooked.

Mika is obviously out best forward but out of all the others for me Bair is the guy I want on the park.

Gent was fine defensively today and was a decent threat going forward. Spencer was theoretically good if he was on his good foot, in practice he hasn't been much better than O'Donnell at RWB

The mental weakness in Scottish football is the only thing keeping us afloat. County, Dundee and St Johnstone have all crumbled in injury time at fir park. Killie too but they were going for the win too rather than just defending a league

I guess even Celtic collapsed twice, even if they got a winner

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

23 hours ago, AnderooMFC said:

For anyone attending, there will be a school choir performance at half-time on the pitch. Earplugs will not be provided so just a heads up if you wanna bring your own! This has also resulted in me being relocated to the Cooper stand for an afternoon. idk how I'll get through 90mins without loudly swearing at this lot...

Microphones weren't working, which negated the half-time pitch appearance. Not sure if they were from the school or provided by the club. As it was only those in the Centenary Suite just after 2pm got to hear the performance.

As for the rest, I can only hope that this just gives the board another week to draw up a shortlist and discreetly enquire who is available/interested. If our previous 4 draws didn't inspire a turnaround/confidence boost to get out the run (incl. one at Parkhead) then there is absolutely nothing to suggest that this one will either.