Motherwell vs St Johnstone - Race to the bottom

2-2.

St Johnstone 2-0 up by half time. Motherwell equalise in the 96th minute to keep Callum Davidson Stuart Kettlewell in a job for a further week.

St Mirren fans seem to think they were the better team last night but missed a glut of chances. With the caveat that that's the been the case on here everytime St Mirren drop points for as long as I can remember, it hopefully means we should be able to at least score one, although we'll probably need to score at least 3 to be confident of getting anything.

Oxborough

O'Donnell  Mugabi  Blaney

Spencer                                                Gent

Slattery  Davor  Spittal

Wilkinson  Mika

Motherwell 0-1 St. Johnstone.  Goodnight Mr Kettlewell.

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

St Mirren fans seem to think they were the better team last night but missed a glut of chances. With the caveat that that's the been the case on here everytime St Mirren drop points for as long as I can remember, it hopefully means we should be able to at least score one, although we'll probably need to score at least 3 to be confident of getting anything.

This was their first chance. Neither a product ot great play or a really great opening.

They then missed a header in the 2nd half from 6 yards. Then an offside Mandron missed from about a yard out.

Aside from that they offered absolutely nothing, and ive found their fans opinion that they were "unlucky" a bit bizarre tbh.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

This was their first chance. Neither a product ot great play or a really great opening.

They then missed a header in the 2nd half from 6 yards. Then an offside Mandron missed from about a yard out.

Aside from that they offered absolutely nothing, and ive found their fans opinion that they were "unlucky" a bit bizarre tbh.

That Mandron chance came as a result of Robinson making an absolute hash of it as well and turning into trouble rather than anything St Mirren did.

We were lucky not to be punished for that or Phillips giving it away in our own box, but generally we weren't cut open at any stage by St Mirren.

Edited by Jamie_B

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Will you be doing that fannying about in the box against us? 

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

St Mirren fans talk shite.

I won't actually be able to hope we lose come kick-off but there's a decent argument to be made we're better off medium-term with another farcical defeat than a lucky win. Fun times.

I suspect our defence chucking in at least the usual two goals will see the St Johnstone resurgence continue.

I said it a few weeks ago.  Any opposing team Manager team talk should consist of nothing more than "cross the ball into the Motherwell box at every opportunity".  Even during half time if possible.

What will then transpire is a combination of woeful marking / defending and a goalie that is useless at defending cross balls even when they are literally on top of him.

The fact we will be lucky to have 11 fit players will also point to another miserable afternoon.  

The makeshift defence for this one should be interesting, but they probably won't be that much worse than what the regulars have served up over recent weeks. SOD at RCB could be a laugh though. 

We'll probably score, we've generally been ok at that, but probably need to do it a minimum of twice to get a point and three for a win.

1-3 resulting in Mr Kettlewell being at home with the family this Christmas.

Edited by dezz
I'm an idiot

39 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

23 minute Kettlewell presser!! Maybe he knows it's his last hurrah

As much as I find it difficult to get bent out of shape about Ketts being wordy (I mean, have you seen some of my posts?) I've been giving these a swerve of late because...fucking hell.

Nevertheless, I'm absolutely checking this one out and fair play to him for committing to the bit.

The fact that the board don't seem to have taken the hint after Tuesday night means this is as nailed on a Saints win as you can get. It's basically our Raith Rovers cup tie from last season again.

Edited by capt_oats

I thought Kettlewell sounded very defensive in the snippets I read on BBC. No one talks about injuries etc but we can talk about your ineffective formation change and not learning your lesson from it Stuart.

If Gent doesn't start we riot. 

3 hours ago, Desp said:

Oxborough

O'Donnell  Mugabi  Blaney

Spencer                                                Gent

Slattery  Davor  Spittal

Wilkinson  Mika

Motherwell 0-1 St. Johnstone.  Goodnight Mr Kettlewell.

With any luck McGinn can replace Sods.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

I said it a few weeks ago.  Any opposing team Manager team talk should consist of nothing more than "cross the ball into the Motherwell box at every opportunity".  Even during half time if possible.

What will then transpire is a combination of woeful marking / defending and a goalie that is useless at defending cross balls even when they are literally on top of him.

The fact we will be lucky to have 11 fit players will also point to another miserable afternoon.  

This would give me hope if (a) Nicky Clark was fit and (b) James Brown wasn't. That way we might get something out of crosses, at least from open play.

Interesting to see if Levein rotates any of the players around, given that he reckons they aren't fit enough and a fair few will be on their third game in 6 days.

Also, it annoys me more than it should but surely the thread title should reference a race away from rather than to the bottom?

5 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

This would give me hope if (a) Nicky Clark was fit and (b) James Brown wasn't. That way we might get something out of crosses, at least from open play.

You don't even need open play, a couple of corners will do the job just as well.