Inner monologue

46 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I feel like I have something similar to some of the people in that article. I have an inner monologues but often I visualise things rather than say them in my head, especially if I’m doing a task.

There are also people who can not form pictures inside their mind.

So for example, if you say to them "imagine a blue double decker bus in your mind", they can not form a picture of a blue double decker bus. 

Before anyone starts, f**k off with the DFC fans struggling to picture a trophy parade patter 🤬

Yes. Absolutely fucking yes. I don’t know if it’s accelerated by being an only child (edit: as in, not having someone to speak to, but that’s my perception of siblings).

If I don’t have a voice I’ve always got a playlist of four of five songs in my head. Currently can’t get this out of my internal jukebox; 

(one for @SlipperyP maybe)

Edited by Smurph

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

So for example, if you say to them "imagine a blue double decker bus in your mind", they can not form a picture of a blue double decker bus. 

Before anyone starts, f**k off with the DFC fans struggling to picture a trophy parade patter 🤬

I’m one of these people. I always found it weird when folk talked about counting sheep or visualisation in general until I found out other people can actually picture these things. 

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I struggle with this at times. Has been the cause of many a petty domestic too when the other half asks a question along the lines of “Do you think this would look good with x/y/z” or when any decorating at home is required.

8 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I had an argument with a girlfriend that was started by her asking “what i was thinking” and genuinely at that point in time, i had f**k all going through my head. This seemed to annoy her because in her words “you have to always be thinking something”
Having wife/kids means that i am constantly thinking about things and the inner monologue feels like it is constantly on the go. 

Having f**k all going through your head is one of life’s greatest pleasures. Unfortunately for me,  I’m unaware of it until someone asks ‘What are you thinking’?  And the spell is broken. 

11 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Mine is there 24/7 and then helpfully reminds me of all the embarrassing things I’ve done just as I’m about to fall asleep 

Yip.

You also do that whole "involuntary reflexive noise to drown out the thoughts" thing? Bit like a mild tourettes that only kicks in when my brain decides to remind me of something cringeworthy from, say, 10 years ago.

My dad also tends to just loudly, randomly exclaim "stupid p***k" or "c**t" late at night apropros of nothing, so I suspect i get it from him.

More happily though, my brain likes to randomly start playing old NES / SNES songs from stuff I played as a kid. Pretty neat when some banger from Mega Man 3 just decideds to start rattling in my skull.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

You use your IM to read books, internet etc. It's way of understanding and absorbing information. Don't people who lack an IM either don't read enough to have this and tend to read out loud to themselves? Nothing wrong with that, everyone is wired up differently to take in information in their own way.

While reading P&b posts, my IM reads certain perma argumentative self appointed experts on everything on here in a ridiculously high voice.

Wasn't there a thread a while back on what you think posters on here sound like?

Waking up with a sense of anticipation, thoughts of the upcoming match fill my mind. Over breakfast, I replay the team's recent performance, analyzing strengths and weaknesses, debating strategies with myself.

Throughout the day, between work and daily tasks, I intermittently check news updates, hoping for positive news on injuries or transfers. I can't help but imagine the roar of the crowd, mentally preparing for the emotional rollercoaster the game will bring.

As match time approaches, my excitement builds, and my inner monologue intensifies. Memories of past victories and defeats surface, fueling a mix of hope and anxiety. Each player's name echoes in my mind, forming a mental lineup.

During the match, my inner monologue becomes a dynamic commentary – cheering for successful plays, groaning at missed opportunities. The emotional rollercoaster reaches its peak with each goal or near miss, evoking a cascade of thoughts and emotions.

Post-game, I reflect on the performance, questioning tactics and individual plays. Despite the outcome, my loyalty prevails, and my thoughts shift to the next fixture. The day closes with a mix of pride, disappointment, and unwavering support for my beloved team.

2 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Yip.

You also do that whole "involuntary reflexive noise to drown out the thoughts" thing? Bit like a mild tourettes that only kicks in when my brain decides to remind me of something cringeworthy from, say, 10 years ago.

I’m actually a bit relieved that other folk do this too :lol: If I think of something cringeworthy from the past when I’m driving for example I’ll randomly say “up into 4th…pop it into 6th…wipers on” but only for the short time the embarrassing things in my head for. 

I can genuinely say there’s never nothing going on in my head. It can make getting to sleep difficult at times but I manage.

Not sure if the amount I used to read as a kid has contributed to this 

10 hours ago, Empty It said:

Can't be very helpful having a voice telling you to shag everything you interact with.

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

These two things combine well for me whenever I see an attractive lady. Except I'm more than capable of forming pictures in my head...