Inner monologue

I'll always end up having full-blown debates- arguements, even, with myself on the topic of choice.

It usually descends into me calling other me every insult and swear under the sun, before peacefully ending the monologue and becoming one again.

The c**t always beats me in the debates as well. And then reminds me of embarrassing moments of the past when I'm on a high, just to rub it in. Can't stand the guy, honestly...

4 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Do you read P&B before bed? I often find that it'll be one of the last things I thought about (consciously or unconsciously) will appear in my dream. Or even a person whose post on Instagram I just scrolled past and maybe don't even know that well.

Also the last song I listen to before I go out will be the one that continues to play in my head that day.

Do you know, I dont think it was p&b specifically but you've jogged my memory along those lines; i think it was watching a match preview on the PTFC website late at night that caused it.

1 hour ago, ClydeTon said:

I'll always end up having full-blown debates- arguements, even, with myself on the topic of choice.

It usually descends into me calling other me every insult and swear under the sun, before peacefully ending the monologue and becoming one again.

The c**t always beats me in the debates as well. And then reminds me of embarrassing moments of the past when I'm on a high, just to rub it in. Can't stand the guy, honestly...

"What do you want me to do? I mean... thats just ridiculous." Applies to rather a lot of my conversations with the dogs/alone to the mirror in the car...

😬

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyway, are people saying they hear voices clear as if someone is in the room with them here, but in their head? 

Mine is one singular voice, but it sometimes talks over itself and argues as if it's two or more people. It's my own physical voice, at least, I think it is, because it's very similar to how I do speak in practice, but it's a bit more expressive, pompous, haughty, and it frequently uses expressions I would not, and also has a few little foibles I do not.

I also attach a mental picture of the speaker to the voice, and it's frequently not me, which is bloody bizarre the more I think about it, because if it's a hectoring, belittling diatribe, I'll usually attach a mental picture of my own mother (an absolute monster) to it, yet "she" is ranting away in a male voice that sounds suspiciously like my own...

If I actually think about my maw, and think about her talking, I formulate a picture of her that is actually using her own voice and mannerisms, so it's not that my brain is incapable of doing this, just that I appear to subconsciously manifest my mother when my own monologue is away off on a rant or giving me a dressing down. 

I'm sure I'd have been locked up and subjected to ice-water enemas or something for admitting this years back, but bleh, don't care any more. 

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyway, are people saying they hear voices clear as if someone is in the room with them here, but in their head? 

I can imagine someone else's voice and 'hear' it in my head. Like a celebrity or whatever, can make them say whatever I like.

There have never been voices where I've thought "who the f**k is that?" though, if that's what you meant.

I don't believe the statistics are accurate considering everytime I've seen this discussion online it's almost always solely filled with people flabbergasted others don't think things like themselves. 

For me the interesting part is how people visualise things. Similar to people's posts earlier I can visualise things but it's usually just like a flickering image, like it's my brain just associating previous memories with the cues as opposed to making things up on the spot that I've never seen. 

30 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I don't believe the statistics are accurate considering everytime I've seen this discussion online it's almost always solely filled with people flabbergasted others don't think things like themselves. 

For me the interesting part is how people visualise things. Similar to people's posts earlier I can visualise things but it's usually just like a flickering image, like it's my brain just associating previous memories with the cues as opposed to making things up on the spot that I've never seen. 

I do that when I'm drifting off to sleep, but not any other time. My internal monologue changes then too; it becomes a conversation of different people, none of whom are me. None of the conversations are about much, or make much sense. 

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

I do that when I'm drifting off to sleep, but not any other time. My internal monologue changes then too; it becomes a conversation of different people, none of whom are me. None of the conversations are about much, or make much sense. 

Once I discovered that unclenching my hands when going to sleep stops these conversations, my sleep is now excellent.  
Yes I understand there are major issues with this

12 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I hear my own voice in my head, yes.

Does it sound the same as the voice you hear when you speak out loud?

I'm always surprised at how different my voice sounds when recorded compared to how I hear myself.  I've no idea which is more accurate but I hope the one I hear rather than the recorded one.

54 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm always surprised at how different my voice sounds when recorded compared to how I hear myself.  I've no idea which is more accurate but I hope the one I hear rather than the recorded one.

I nearly typed out this qualification then decided against it. It’s my voice as I hear it, not how everyone else hears it (ie how it sounds on a recording). 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Same for me. The voice in my head is the way that I perceive myself to sound, and going by my recorded voice it's better than what others actually hear when they have to listen to my shite!!

When running through  conversations in my head, it will be my own voice and the actual voice of the other party if I know them, or a generic male/female voice if not (e.g. thinking of a scenario for an upcoming interview etc).

As for visualisation, I rarely actually remember any dreams or stuff, but I'm excellent at imagining buxom women when I'm trying to drift off.