The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

Week 35 update

Nothing this week, so I'm going to say two things.

I could have sworn someone picked Sven-Goran Eriksson, but his illness was only announced in January so we just missed the cut off. I had no idea he had been a manager for so long and so successfully before England. It was mentioned on the thread for him at the start of the week but the media coverage of his death was quite odd to me. His period as England manage was really before my time and obviously before the present-day media landscape, but my recollection of him was a bit of a quiet weirdo who was a mad shagger and who failed the golden generation. Yet here was the news going on like he was the greatest guy ever. Weird.

The other thing I want to share is the diagram of what happened to Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau on Thursday night: NHL star's killer's outrageous courtroom act after judge's comments as tragic new details emerge about family | Daily Mail Online

Higgins is accused of being intoxicated when he collided with Gaudreau and his brother

This also happened at about 8PM in what looks like a fairly rural place, so there wouldn't have been much light. He told the police he'd had five or six beers and was still drinking when he was driving. Don't drink and drive. Don't let anyone you know drink and drive. There's no such thing as a limit or a difference from person to person. Don't do it.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 35 update

Nothing this week, so I'm going to say two things.

I could have sworn someone picked Sven-Goran Eriksson, but his illness was only announced in January so we just missed the cut off. I had no idea he had been a manager for so long and so successfully before England. It was mentioned on the thread for him at the start of the week but the media coverage of his death was quite odd to me. His period as England manage was really before my time and obviously before the present-day media landscape, but my recollection of him was a bit of a quiet weirdo who was a mad shagger and who failed the golden generation. Yet here was the news going on like he was the greatest guy ever. Weird.

As a side note, bit shocked you're that young, Miguel.

You'll also be far too young to remember Bobby Robson's tenure as England manager. He was widely mocked as England boss because he'd "only" been manager of Ipswich Town, and there was widespread relief in the press that he'd be leaving after the World Cup in 1990. England started that tournament dismally, and it was reported that the squad revolted because they thought Robson's tactics were shite, so they unilaterally decided that they'd move Des Walker to a sweeper role. They didn't exactly set the tournament on fire afterwards, but did struggle manfully through to the semis, which was all anyone really cared about.

When he died, the press celebrated him as some kind of Godfather figure to English football, and praise his record as England boss. The lesson here, as with Eriksson, is that the press are a bunch of c***s. The general arslikhan of Gareth Southgate during his tenure was very unusual, and entirely based on the team getting some outrageously favourable runs through tournaments, rather than anything he personally did.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

As a side note, bit shocked you're that young, Miguel.

You'll also be far too young to remember Bobby Robson's tenure as England manager. He was widely mocked as England boss because he'd "only" been manager of Ipswich Town, and there was widespread relief in the press that he'd be leaving after the World Cup in 1990. England started that tournament dismally, and it was reported that the squad revolted because they thought Robson's tactics were shite, so they unilaterally decided that they'd move Des Walker to a sweeper role. They didn't exactly set the tournament on fire afterwards, but did struggle manfully through to the semis, which was all anyone really cared about.

When he died, the press celebrated him as some kind of Godfather figure to English football, and praise his record as England boss. The lesson here, as with Eriksson, is that the press are a bunch of c***s. The general arslikhan of Gareth Southgate during his tenure was very unusual, and entirely based on the team getting some outrageously favourable runs through tournaments, rather than anything he personally did.

Not really as young as that probably made it sound, but young enough to not be following England('s media) outwith laughing when they f**ked up penalties against Portugal.