The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

And while I'm here

On 10/12/2023 at 22:27, alta-pete said:

I like you chief, but copying someone else’s homework is not - in my eyes - fair game. Sorry. Originality usually wins. 

I'm sure this wasn't posted in complete seriousness, but picking a team of people who have a history of staying alive against apparently insurmountable odds isn't that much of a winning strategy imo.

21 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

And while I appreciate everyone jumping to the Dead Pool's defence,

I do not believe you post on this forum in good faith. You have 100 posts and the majority of them seem to be in non-football sections, complaining about what other people post. I have been on the internet a long time. This is not normal internet behaviour. People don't sign up to forums and complain about threads or discussions they have no part in. If you genuinely thought P&B to be unconscionable, you wouldn't be here. 

However, I realise the concept of a Dead Pool can appear morbid or disrespectful to an outsider. With this in mind, I'd like to make three points:

1. Nobody's forcing you to post on P&B. Nobody's forcing you to read this thread. If you don't like it, don't pay it any attention. This advice can be applied to increasingly great amounts of modern life.
  2. Over 100 people play this game every year. Do you really think none of them have had a relative die, or suffer? I'd love to remember the post but an early justification for the Dead Pool I remember from when I started playing was, well, everybody dies. You may as well have some fun with it.
  3. With this in mind, ever since I started running the game in 2019 I have been at pains to give the deceased as much sympathy and respect as they deserve. I've learned a lot about a lot of people, and I'd hope other posters have too. Nobody in this game genuinely celebrates or hopes for death. I know there are other games similar to this out there on the internet and from what research I've done I think I do a good job of keeping the thread respectful, informative and engaging.

After all of this, the only other thing I have to add is a repeat of my first point. If you don't like it, don't post.

You don't know me mate so shouldn't be making complete untruths and assumptions about me.

You keep the thread respectful, well imo you do not. Some of the posts already are sick imo. I posted that I recently watched my sibling pass away in a hospice but some sick poster down voted it. That is just horrible. 

Anyway you lot crack on with your sick game. 

Edited by Steelly

26 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

And while I appreciate everyone jumping to the Dead Pool's defence,

I do not believe you post on this forum in good faith. You have 100 posts and the majority of them seem to be in non-football sections, complaining about what other people post. I have been on the internet a long time. This is not normal internet behaviour. People don't sign up to forums and complain about threads or discussions they have no part in. If you genuinely thought P&B to be unconscionable, you wouldn't be here. 

However, I realise the concept of a Dead Pool can appear morbid or disrespectful to an outsider. With this in mind, I'd like to make three points:

1. Nobody's forcing you to post on P&B. Nobody's forcing you to read this thread. If you don't like it, don't pay it any attention. This advice can be applied to increasingly great amounts of modern life.
  2. Over 100 people play this game every year. Do you really think none of them have had a relative die, or suffer? I'd love to remember the post but an early justification for the Dead Pool I remember from when I started playing was, well, everybody dies. You may as well have some fun with it.
  3. With this in mind, ever since I started running the game in 2019 I have been at pains to give the deceased as much sympathy and respect as they deserve. I've learned a lot about a lot of people, and I'd hope other posters have too. Nobody in this game genuinely celebrates or hopes for death. I know there are other games similar to this out there on the internet and from what research I've done I think I do a good job of keeping the thread respectful, informative and engaging.

After all of this, the only other thing I have to add is a repeat of my first point. If you don't like it, don't post.

Unless it’s a very close battle at the end of the year. 

Other than that, fantastic post.  

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Just to turn it back to the rule about not killing your own players. 

What if you kill a contestant on another dead poolers list, would there be some kind of stewards enquiry into this? 

‘Your honour, I assure you my client is not OFTW. The police found the chloroform in his glove box as he intended to administer it to himself should he chance upon Judi Dench crossing the road whilst he was driving’

2 hours ago, Steelly said:

You don't know me mate so shouldn't be making complete untruths and assumptions about me.

You keep the thread respectful, well imo you do not. Some of the posts already are sick imo. I posted that I recently watched my sibling pass away in a hospice but some sick poster down voted it. That is just horrible. 

Anyway you lot crack on with your sick game. 

^^^picked Jimmy Carter imo.

9 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

My own what's app dead pool , is a 3 way title fight, 

Hopefully I can secure a top 50 placing next year on here,

My aim is to pick the weakest squad possible, too weak to last 12 months, 

I already have 11 signed on pre contracts 

Failed their medicals then?

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

What if you kill a contestant on another dead poolers list, would there be some kind of stewards enquiry into this? 

The main reason for doing so would be to prevent a rival player's picks from scoring in a way that accrued a lot of bonuses, and typically, that would mean stopping the picks from dying in December. So the most obvious symptom of this would be a rash of deaths in late November.

Now funnily enough, this November did actually have a St Andrews Day massacre of sorts, with Shane Macgowan, John Byrne and Henry Kissinger all dying mere hours before the Deadly December bonuses kicked in. There's no indication that any of these deaths were foul play, but then again, if there was that would accrue a different set of bonus points, defeating the object of the exercise. It would make sense for a dead pooler to cover their tracks.

On the basis of cui bono, I took the liberty of checking out which of the Dead Pool player roster stood to gain the most from the hypothetical assassinations of Macgowan, Kissinger and Byrne prematurely, as opposed to them dying in December, by noting the difference in score table placement between the current situation and the hypothetical December deaths scenario. The most likely Dead Pool assassins are listed in the table below. Now I'm not saying that any one of these guys did assassinate Shane Macgowan and Henry Kissinger, just that these are the ghoulish degenerates with the most reason to. Make of this information what you will.

Also, @El Guapo, can I just ask where you were on the 29th and 30th of November?

Player Hypothetical Placing New Placing Places Gained
El Guapo 94 64 30
Arch Stanton 50 22 28
BillyAnchor 65 38 27
sleazy 51 25 26
pub car king 41 21 20
nessies long lost ghost 72 52 20

Edited by Aim Here

6 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

The main reason for doing so would be to prevent a rival player's picks from scoring in a way that accrued a lot of bonuses, and typically, that would mean stopping the picks from dying in December. So the most obvious symptom of this would be a rash of deaths in late November.

Now funnily enough, this November did actually have a St Andrews Day massacre of sorts, with Shane Macgowan, John Byrne and Henry Kissinger all dying mere hours before the Deadly December bonuses kicked in. There's no indication that any of these deaths were foul play, but then again, if there was that would accrue a different set of bonus points, defeating the object of the exercise. It would make sense for a dead pooler to cover their tracks.

On the basis of cui bono, I took the liberty of checking out which of the Dead Pool player roster stood to gain the most from the hypothetical assassinations of Macgowan, Kissinger and Byrne prematurely, as opposed to them dying in December. The most likely candidates are listed in the table below. Now I'm not saying that any one of them did assassinate Shane Macgowan and Henry Kissinger, just that these are the ghoulish degenerates with the most reason to. Make of this information what you will.

Also, @El Guapo, can I just ask where you were on the 29th and 30th of November?

El Guapo 94 64 30
Arch Stanton 50 22 28
BillyAnchor 65 38 27
sleazy 51 25 26
pub car king 41 21 20

Not guilty, guv, I was on the grassy knoll at the time.

19 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

On the basis of cui bono, I took the liberty of checking out which of the Dead Pool player roster stood to gain the most from the hypothetical assassinations of Macgowan, Kissinger and Byrne prematurely, as opposed to them dying in December, by noting the difference in score table placement between the current situation and the hypothetical December deaths scenario. The most likely Dead Pool assassins are listed in the table below. Now I'm not saying that any one of these guys did assassinate Shane Macgowan and Henry Kissinger, just that these are the ghoulish degenerates with the most reason to. Make of this information what you will.

El Guapo 94 64 30
Arch Stanton 50 22 28
BillyAnchor 65 38 27
sleazy 51 25 26
pub car king 41 21 20

Who currently has the Last Gasp bonus and what does that do to the overall standings?

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Who currently has the Last Gasp bonus and what does that do to the overall standings?

That would be Ryan O' Neal, my very own pick, and it would nudge me into first place.

I'm all for nobody else dying until the end of the year, at least. Just nobody ask where I was when Glenys Kinnock got shot!

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

That would be Ryan O' Neal, my very own pick, and it would nudge me into first place.

I'm all for nobody else dying until the end of the year, at least. Just nobody ask where I was when Glenys Kinnock got shot!

Almost as if you stood to gain from lots of people dying before December!

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I hate it when there's nothing on the telly.

To be fair, at least you've got some options - you can rummage round the internet to see what all your picks have been up to. 

12 hours ago, Steelly said:

And Mr Brightside you must feel proud of down voting my post where I said that I watched a close relative pass  away in a hospice.

I have a suggestion, leave this thread that “bothers” you and get professional help. I enjoyed red dotting all your recent posts here.

9 hours ago, pub car king said:

Asked and answered, 2022 I believe. Miguel disqualifies you and confiscates the other persons computer devices for forensic enquiry…wait, the satellite update just beamed to me suggests that the real party running the Dead Pool IS the NSA and MI5, so they’ll already know.