Do you say ken?

RawB93

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It would still be common in northern England to hear thou as the singular and thee as the plural.

Is thou not the singular subject pronoun and thee the singular object pronoun, whereas in plural it is you for both?

So "Thou give it to me" and "I give it to thee".

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It would still be common in northern England to hear thou as the singular and thee as the plural.

This would suggest that: "With this ring, I thee wed" is an act of bigamy. It would also mean that Hamlet's exhortation to Ophelia to "Get thee to a nunnery" applies to additional unspecified women. I live in northern England and have never heard either term used.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Is thou not the singular subject pronoun and thee the singular object pronoun, whereas in plural it is you for both?

So "Thou give it to me" and "I give it to thee".

Correct. I'm confusing ye, you and thee.  

My main point though was at one point you was purely plural.

image.thumb.png.de1086b2d43ef44cb7e0309fa94015aa.png

I'd say that was pretty conclusive evidence that P&B and ergo Scotland ken.

I guess it explains the phobia of this word that the Possilpark pagans have. TV, film and radio would have them believe everyone speaks like them. IMO they're terrified of being the minority.

To not ken is to be ignorant.

We are the enlightened.

We ken.

Haven't used 'ken' since telling my mother than one of the actors in Law & Order is the son of Bill Roache, known for playing Ken Fitlike in Coronation Street for 703 years.