Ton v QP - clash of the titans

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Not reckless, not high, no studs showing. It's a bog standard cynical booking.

Contrast with Thomson going studs up over waist height on Strapp and not even getting booked.

Disagree. Think that's what he's attempting and there's no malice, but he completely mistimes it and goes straight through the back of him with some force. Hard to tell on the video if his studs are showing but will take your word for it. But it's not just a clip of his ankle.

Haven't seen any videos so far  but at the time I thought Oakley's tackle was just a trip and unnecessary given that the ball was in QP's half.  Certainly not a red card tackle.  On the other hand, the incident where Strapp appeared to be punched or poked in the eye right in front of the dugouts appeared to be a straight red card sort of thing, although I'll wait for any video evidence in case i missed something there.  The penalty looked like the QP players did an almost comedically bad dive but again video evidence might show something.

What surprised me was the difference in the balance of play after Oakley departed the pitch.  In essence we had the same team on the park but just without our striker, and we should have been able to play the game out comfortably without really changing too much, but we chose not to leave anyone up on the half way line when the ball was in our half, so allowing QP to push their CBs up the pitch with no need to leave a defender or two to mark an attacker.  That meant the play got concentrated in the final third and meant a backs to the wall performance.  I would have though bringing on another attacking player would have been more fruitful and so it proved when Mcgrattan came on to add width and pace - and almost a superb goal had the QP keeper not brought off an excellent save from McGrattan's curling shot.  In the end we survived but it was a nervy 45 minutes.

I thought Mullen was superb and surely must now be considered as first choice ahead of Jamie Macdonald who has lost a few rather soft goals while first choice keeper.  Strapp has been superb and I'd love to see him stay beyond January.  Shame that Wilson got injured as he had finally got up to speed and match fitness, becoming an effective midfielder for us after a slowish start.  Dougie Imrie has done what I thought he would do and turned round our horrendous season as the injuries clear up, and with a number of our young players now seeing more game time, the future looks a lot brighter.

QP look a poor side.  Before we lost Wilson and Oakley, we were giving them a doing.  They did come into the game when we had ten men and i do think we should have tried to play the game more in their half, but the fact that they got nowhere despite incessant possession seems to confirm that they are indeed shite.

What a great 8 days - 3 games, nine points, and we're now up to 5th.  Long may this run continue.