Ton v QP - clash of the titans

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

That said, I’m happy to say I confidently predicted you lot would finish bottom before a ball was kicked… and I’m frankly surprised that anyone’s surprised at how the ‘Project’ is panning out. This league is far from pretty at times, but it’s brutally difficult to play in; whoever thought going with an inexperienced squad and failing to upgrade your defence was a good idea should be barred from football… a blend of arrogance and incompetence that makes supporters of other clubs happy to see you relegated.

No offence.

None taken. I love Queen’s Park, but I don’t like us, if that makes sense. 

I'll not be getting caught up in any obvious win by 3+ goals chat here. For all we know, all it will take is a manager telling them to shitfest it and keep it tight for Queen's Park to turn into a decent team, with it having been Veldman's dogmatism that had them passing themselves into disaster rather than anyone else at the club forcing him to play that way.

This is a massive opportunity though with the last two results. Win this while other results go our way and we could be four points clear of 9th and/or 5th.

38 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I watched us labour to a pretty fortunate 0-0 draw against you only a couple of months back… and I’ve lost count of the times I’ve watched us struggle to string two passes together against teams in ‘crisis’.

We’re certainly favourites to win, but we rarely do it the easy way.

That said, I’m happy to say I confidently predicted you lot would finish bottom before a ball was kicked… and I’m frankly surprised that anyone’s surprised at how the ‘Project’ is panning out. This league is far from pretty at times, but it’s brutally difficult to play in; whoever thought going with an inexperienced squad and failing to upgrade your defence was a good idea should be barred from football… a blend of arrogance and incompetence that makes supporters of other clubs happy to see you relegated.

No offence.

What’s really staggering is that the architect of this season’s squad (not the recently departed head coach but the recently departed director of football) had been here for two years so knew exactly what the league was all about.

9 minutes ago, Spider Rico said:

What’s really staggering is that the architect of this season’s squad (not the recently departed head coach but the recently departed director of football) had been here for two years so knew exactly what the league was all about.

As I said, both arrogance and incompetence… I’ll leave you to decide how much of each.

11 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Indeed. And even kicked out Ellis so that he could have a few months playing team manager for his own experience.

22 hours ago, Dave said:

If the Transfermarkt website is to be believed, this is the average age for every team in the league:

Screenshot_2023-12-14-12-17-56-89_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.9e843cc22fb4d824ebe932b8cfbbc297.jpg

If we discard Broadfoot it would be 25.5 for Morton. That even allows us to keep Power in the numbers.

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

Presume we can buy tickets at the ground on the day?, just in case I suffer a lobotomy between now and 2pm tomorrow which renders me mentally unfit and therefore keen and eager to go!

Snap! And yes

Edited by spiders4ever
Addition

You will however likely be standing around for a while, in the rain. 

I'd have been happy with 6 points from our three games this time last week, but it's hard not to get greedy looking at tomorrow's game and QP's predicament. It's a huge opportunity to establish  clear daylight between us and the bottom, and if we play as we have been doing recently then I think we will do that. 

The nagging concern I have is whether we can press effectively as a unit again after our efforts midweek. It hasn't always been a huge issue for us - and the couple of knocks on Tuesday night might require changes - but I'd be happier if we're not playing the exact same starting lineup tomorrow. If we can finally remove the Broadfoot flaw then that would be fucking great too. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

The nagging concern I have is whether we can press effectively as a unit again after our efforts midweek.

Good news for you is that you won't have to; just sit back (literally) and watch us play it from side to side until inevitably there's a misplaced pass or someone demonstrates the first touch of a concrete wall, then just grab and go.

We will try to press - and forced similar mistakes to win the game on Tuesday night. But if you're a yard off the pace, pressing the ball can be played through and you get exposed to conceding cheap goals.

The risk-reward balance is completely justified given our squad is not a total football outfit, but it relies on almost all outfield players being capable of putting a proper shift in to work.

19 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

Presume we can buy tickets at the ground on the day?, just in case I suffer a lobotomy between now and 2pm tomorrow which renders me mentally unfit and therefore keen and eager to go!

That would render you supremely qualified for your club's managerial vacancy.

Well done.

This is an absolute travesty of a refereeing performance.

We started well and scored a lovely goal to take the lead. Queen's Park's team of delicate wee lambs learning about the game are still the total hatchet men they were last season and predictably lost the head as soon as we took the lead and started taking bodies, as they did three times last season.

Could have been two but we really suffered for Wilson going off injured. Think Power was the wrong sub in that scenario, Wilson off can't be helped but I'd rather have had Blues inside and a winger on to maintain the energy in the middle of the park that Power and Gillespie don't have. Queen's Park definitely got more comfortable after that, for all that we've still been the better team.

Then the red card. An absolute textbook cynical yellow card to stop a break, but no worse than at least two fouls committed by Queen's Park players in that half. Absolutely mad to pull out a red card. You'd think you couldn't see an even worse decision in the same game, but then he awards a penalty for an obvious dive as well. We'll be doing very well to hold onto this with this c**t in charge.