Ton v QP - clash of the titans

Watched red card multiple times and still find it hard to decide from the angle of the camera. If he's stood on his foot/ankle from behind then it's a yellow but if he's raked him down the back of the calf then the red card is fair. 

5 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Watched red card multiple times and still find it hard to decide from the angle of the camera. If he's stood on his foot/ankle from behind then it's a yellow but if he's raked him down the back of the calf then the red card is fair. 

Looks a definite red to me. Not that it really mattered. You could probably have had another couple sent off and we’d still have passed the ball around in front of your defence at a snails pace, before clipping the ball over and out for a goal kick. 

Pains me to say it, but Morton deserved the win.  In all honesty I didn't see the red incident as it was obscured by one of the main stand pillars.  Don't agree with the 'hatchet men' tag as I thought both teams were guilty of that.  I'll leave the suggestion out there that if fan's wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands (delete as appropriate) went down as easily as some of the players out there yesterday, there maybe be a fair few more chilled responses on here.   Longridge deserved a yellow, absolutely, and was lucky not to get one....even only for the honking display.

It seems as though QP have been coached in the Beuker philosophy that it his highly unlikely, (akin to Hell freezing over) that any goals are scored from crosses into the box, therefore we a) constantly cut inside to two walls of four and b) therefore resolutely decide we're not going to actively defend any crosses and subsequently c) cannot understand it when other teams score from crossed balls.  But there you go.

Edited by Spider1975

10 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Queen's Park fans have for the most part been incredibly magnanimous and correctly focused on off-field failings in this thread to the level it was disappointing as I couldn't be an arsehole about it, so thank you for providing me a target.

Get fucking down to join your Gretna brethren in the Lowland League and take your 14 hatchet men with you.

Never had a problem identifying an arsehole in Greenock. Certainly a target rich environment in this thread.  

Enjoy your three points. We will sort our off field problems and be back. With your Gretna reference, you are only averaging 200 or so more fans than us a week so not exactly packing them in either are you?

Edited by Stuntiethumper

10 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Mateta was going away from goal so yellow card was the right decision tbf.

So long as he has the motor skills to, err, turn round, then the goalkeeper having taken himself out of the situation makes it a clear as day goalscoring opportunity. It was also a reckless challenge nowhere near the ball. 

Ederson's challenge is three cards in one and yet with VAR assistance it gets sanctioned as a yellow card. 

The ref presumably thinks Oakley has raked the studs in making that challenge and that's why it's a red, but that's still just a textbook cynical trip for me. It's a booking all day. Don't expect to see it in our highlights either but Thomson's booking for his foul on Crawford was a far worse tackle than that.

50 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Just watched Nuijten's after match comments. He seems to be away in the same wee fantasy world that his other Dutch colleagues were in. More effort indeed!

Exactly this. Is it beyond the realms of possibility to install a manager that can gain respect from the team and has some inspirational qualities rather than this.

4 minutes ago, Stuntiethumper said:

Would really like to see a bit of leadership from the club. Feel free to steal this:

"Dear Queen's Park Members, Season ticket holders and fans,

The Committee are fully aware that the men's first team football results have not met expectation and that our current league position is not acceptable. Everyone at Queen's Park shares the frustration of the fans and is working hard to address performance concerns.

We remain fully committed to Championship football and are continuing to speak to candidates for the Head Coach position and aim to make an appointment before the New Year.  The new coach, once in place, will be given the resources needed to strengthen the playing squad in the January transfer window with a view to securing our participation in the Championship next season.

Until the we humbly ask the fans continue to give Paul and the playing staff their full support."

Ends.

Where are the resources coming from to strengthen the playing squad in January? Why are you abdicating responsibility for fielding a competent football team with the resources and players already at your club, to at least draw against 10 men, with 57 year old Kirk Broadfoot anchored to the six yard line? 

Attitudes like yours (not predominating among your fanbase right now) will only contribute towards it all inevitably going tits up. Just don't give us the Dundee style crocodile tears routine when it happens. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

So long as he has the motor skills to, err, turn round, then the goalkeeper having taken himself out of the situation makes it a clear as day goalscoring opportunity. It was also a reckless challenge nowhere near the ball. 

Ederson's challenge is three cards in one and yet with VAR assistance it gets sanctioned as a yellow card. 

A player moving away from goal has been deemed by refs for as long as I can remember as not a clear goal scoring opportunity, plus there are defenders tracking back to consider as well.

The tackle is mistimed but he does attempt to win the ball.

I don’t think the red gets overturned if awarded on the field either tbf.

11 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

A player moving away from goal has been deemed by refs for as long as I can remember as not a clear goal scoring opportunity, 

If a striker is two yards from goal, collects the ball with his back to an empty net and gets wiped out before turning, it's still a goal scoring opportunity and a red card by any sane referee. So the direction of travel is not an absolute criteria at all.

plus there are defenders tracking back to consider as well.

Defenders tracking back are of far less consequence though when the keeper is no longer in play. It's not equivalent to a defender bringing down a forward outside the box, with a keeper and tracking defenders there too. The opportunity to score is substantially higher in almost all cases and so a higher level of punishment is merited too. 

The tackle is mistimed but he does attempt to win the ball.

Which has no bearing on the reckless nature of the challenge (like most ridiculous sweeper keeper 'tackles') and the significance of failing to make the tackle effectively on the outcome of the game. 

It's closer to two red cards cumulatively than a yellow card - but the referee simply bottled it in the classic Ibrox/Parkhead category of decision-making. 

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

If a striker is two yards from goal, collects the ball with his back to an empty net and gets wiped out before turning, it's still a goal scoring opportunity and a red card by any sane referee. So the direction of travel is not an absolute criteria at all.

Defenders tracking back are of far less consequence though when the keeper is no longer in play. It's not equivalent to a defender bringing down a forward outside the box, with a keeper and tracking defenders there too. The opportunity to score is substantially higher in almost all cases and so a higher level of punishment is merited too. 

Which has no bearing on the reckless nature of the challenge (like most ridiculous sweeper keeper 'tackles') and the significance of failing to make the tackle effectively on the outcome of the game. 

It's closer to two red cards cumulatively than a yellow card - but the referee simply bottled it in the classic Ibrox/Parkhead category of decision-making. 

Agree to disagree.

One of our hardest fought wins yesterday. Good goal early on and unlucky not to make it 2-0 when Strapp hit the bar.

Then the referee decided that a cynical trip in the opposition half by George was a straight red card. He must have been gutted at Mullen's penalty save. I noticed that when leaving the park at half time, he neglected to go over to the Cowshed side to collect the match ball (which I believe he is supposed to have in his possession at the end of both halves) - can't imagine why...

Early in the 2nd half it looked like we'd be watching us camped in our box for another 40 minutes. As pointed out elsewhere, the introduction of McGrattan changed this and we saw the game (with its endless injury time) out fairly comfortably.

Mental that we have gone from bottom to 5th in 8 days.

I thought I would wait until I had seen the highlights before making a comment on the sending off. I was in the stand yesterday and had a good view on the tackle yes it was probably cynical I thought it was a yellow all day long and having seen it again my mind has not been changed. It was never a red did not help that the incompetent ref had lost the plot by this time and the QP player was screaming like a big Jessie.

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

The ref presumably thinks Oakley has raked the studs in making that challenge and that's why it's a red, but that's still just a textbook cynical trip for me. It's a booking all day. Don't expect to see it in our highlights either but Thomson's booking for his foul on Crawford was a far worse tackle than that.

At the time I couldn't see any reason for a Red Card, and now having seen multiple sequential still shots I am convinced it was a yellow at worst. A heel clip with both feet on the ground, no loss of control, no undue force, no studs showing so not a red card. A referee who wanted to be centre of attention and was only a few yards away. Shocking decision however you look at it. 

A huge sense of injustice galvanised the Morton team and the win was very well deserved .

On 16/12/2023 at 23:02, Paisley Ton said:

This is a fans forum.

I have been to the three games and are more than happy with the result and effort from the players.

If any part of my observations don't concur with your view happy for hearing what your opinion is.

Don't  be a non constructive bully as per the Gordon pals group who red flaged my comments.

It is obvious from the traffic on Gordon's site that you feel a red dot need.

Have you decided that you have tired of attacking Dream OakTree or are you just a sheep

Merry Christmas sorry f**k off ya c**t

Nothing of the sort your post was utterly tragic birthday caird pish. 

Attacking dream oak tree ffs have a word. 

I'll red dot as I see fit not because of Gordon or anyone else. 

Talks about bully's and ends with fk off ya c**t tragic.