Dundee United vs Raith Rovers, 16 Dec…

9 hours ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Going to be a bit 2 faced here as I like his stuff. How can footy adventures be able to post the footage before the clubs? 

Bigger issue is why a 12.00 wait time anyway. Its not like the BBC are using footage for their highlights show.

It is actually 10pm you can post highlights. 

The Alloa lad twigged recently and Falkirk have started putting ours up at 2200 now as well.

Fantastic result yesterday, up there with best away days I’ve had following this club. Just a great day out from start to finish.

On the game, I thought United were the better team first half without being particularly threatening. They had more possession and had a couple of half chances whereas we didn’t really create anything, still felt 0-0 was a fair result at half time though but it looked like we lacked a little bit of belief.

Second half, Murray clearly told them to be more positive and I thought from the start of the second half until our goal we were really good. Created a few chances and then an excellent goal by Easton. After that we didn’t have to chase the game and I thought we actually saw it out relatively comfortably. We limited things to a couple of great blocks and 2 excellent saves from Dabrowski but both from outside the box.

Can’t be said enough how impressive an effort it was to get that result yesterday after playing 95 minutes on a heavy pitch on Wednesday night while United had the full week to prepare. Once again Murray got things spot on with his team and tactics. I genuinely think the only mistake he has made this season was risking Watson at Airdrie and even that can be easily forgiven since we’ve not lost a game since!

Not that it really matters but I have no idea what the difference was between the Moult elbow which was deemed a free kick but no card and the Vaughan one literally 30 seconds later which was a yellow card. Also think Sibbald had a couple of offences after his yellow card that probably would have seen him booked if he hadn’t been already.

15 hours ago, embow said:

Just out of interest, who is United's game in hand against and is there a date for it to be played?

Away to Morton.

A pissing wet night in Greenock defending Lewis Strapp throw-ins and getting kicked and elbowed all over the park by Imrie's gang.

10 hours ago, grumswall said:

Genuinely didn't realise Middleton was playing today. Not even being funny about it, just didn't see the utd lineup and didn't recognise the guy. Makes sense now you've said it though. 

Something that needs said is, we're top of the league having played Scott Brown at cb for the majority of the season due to Watson being injured. For all the attacking options we've got, our defence has been makeshift for at least 60% of the season. Id imagine both clubs will look to strengthen in January in whatever way we both can and I'm looking forward to this hopefully going all the way (with us pipping you to the title obviously) 

To be fair, I thought some of Middleton's set piece deliveries were excellent. Thankfully we defended most of them very well and managed to scramble the rest clear.

Not much to add to what's already been said - United edged the first half without really threatening, whereas Rovers made it count in the spell where we were on top (very unlike us to boss a game for the 15 minutes after halftime). I would have taken a draw before kickoff and at halftime, but great credit to the boys for digging out the win. 

Stanton's pass got the finish it deserved.

Great turnout from both sets of fans and a great atmosphere in the Shed. There were two young lads next to me at their first ever away game and seeing the excitement on their faces at what was unfolding around them was absolutely heartwarming.

I just realised yesterday that all 12 of Rovers' league wins this season have been by a single goal, with 5 of them being last minute winners. You will not find a better example of the old football cliché about 'turning draws into wins'.

We can only hope it isn't sustainable, and that our own form is just a blip. I'm not too confident about the second part tbh.

14 hours ago, Varna Rover said:

lets get this clear once and for all. we don't have the biggest budget in the championship by a long way. we have a lot of young talented players who are not on big wages. but what we do have is a very talented coaching team. so stop this nonsense and accept we are a very young and tlented team with a lot more to come

I know there is a lot of banter about the "biggest budget" etc and clearly United will have a much bigger budget that anyone else in the division but to claim that Rovers have young talented players on buttons is also a wild take. Euan Murray, Dylan Easton, Jack Hamilton, Aiden Connelly, Sam Stanton, Josh Mullin, Kevin Watson... you think they'll not be amongst the better paid players in the league? It would be interesting to see how much the wage bill actually is, especially compared to turnover. Not that it matters, and Raith are certainly using the money they are spending a hell of a lot better than a lot of other clubs, mine included. But to claim with a straight face that the Rovers have got to the top of the league paying peanuts for a bunch of youngsters is a nonsense. 

Cracking result yesterday anyway, and makes the rest of the season very interesting. Can see United spending a few quid and getting a few loans in to make sure they get there in the end (which I think they still will, by hook or by crook) but if they lose another couple before the end of January I can see the knives being out for Goodwin.

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I know there is a lot of banter about the "biggest budget" etc and clearly United will have a much bigger budget that anyone else in the division but to claim that Rovers have young talented players on buttons is also a wild take. Euan Murray, Dylan Easton, Jack Hamilton, Aiden Connelly, Sam Stanton, Josh Mullin, Kevin Watson... you think they'll not be amongst the better paid players in the league? It would be interesting to see how much the wage bill actually is, especially compared to turnover. Not that it matters, and Raith are certainly using the money they are spending a hell of a lot better than a lot of other clubs, mine included. But to claim with a straight face that the Rovers have got to the top of the league paying peanuts for a bunch of youngsters is a nonsense. 

Cracking result yesterday anyway, and makes the rest of the season very interesting. Can see United spending a few quid and getting a few loans in to make sure they get there in the end (which I think they still will, by hook or by crook) but if they lose another couple before the end of January I can see the knives being out for Goodwin.

For a start a Dunfermline fan giving other clubs advise on budgets when your chairman borrowed 10 mil and never paid it back, at the same time your club took many a small business to the wall. We also have a very good balance of players on good money and others not picking up massive wages.

We signed an 18 year old laddie from Kdy and Dysart FC. We have a third keeper, midfielder and striker all around 20 out on loan and two  19 Yr old CHs. None of these players will be on decent money. We also don't run a big squad and put an experienced pro out on loan to balance the books.

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

For a start a Dunfermline fan giving other clubs advise on budgets when your chairman borrowed 10 mil and never paid it back, at the same time your club took many a small business to the wall. We also have a very good balance of players on good money and others not picking up massive wages.

We signed an 18 year old laddie from Kdy and Dysart FC. We have a third keeper, midfielder and striker all around 20 out on loan and two  19 Yr old CHs. None of these players will be on decent money. We also don't run a big squad and put an experienced pro out on loan to balance the books.

I'm not giving advice at all - except where I gave your club praise for using their funds well! You may well have those young players, but the players named in my post are still there and still drawing a wage. It's like a Man Utd fan saying that they aren't paying big wages because they signed Jonny Evans on a free from Leicester and they have a couple of academy graduates in their squad. It's honestly baffling to me the mental gymnastics some Raith fans use to try and deny they have a very competitive playing budget for the division. And again, for the avoidance of doubt - I'm not advising/lecturing/pontificating, just commenting on the situation without prejudice. 

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

I just realised yesterday that all 12 of Rovers' league wins this season have been by a single goal, with 5 of them being last minute winners. You will not find a better example of the old football cliché about 'turning draws into wins'.

We can only hope it isn't sustainable, and that our own form is just a blip. I'm not too confident about the second part tbh.

Yeah and United's goal difference is +16 better than Raith's. But it is points that matter and fair doos to Rovers for keep producing the results. I think the game came at a good time for them on this winning run with confidence high and United dip in form since the league broke for the cups and international break.  The big question is can Raith keep this going through the whole season and United inevitably getting their form back. What is absolutely certain there is a very real title race on. 

4 minutes ago, arabdelic said:

Yeah and United's goal difference is +16 better than Raith's. But it is points that matter and fair doos to Rovers for keep producing the results. I think the game came at a good time for them on this winning run with confidence high and United dip in form since the league broke for the cups and international break.  The big question is can Raith keep this going through the whole season and United inevitably getting their form back. What is absolutely certain there is a very real title race on. 

Honestly, who knows, but you're right, there is a very real title race on and whoever wins it will absolutely have deserved it. There will be poor spells for each club still to come because this league is nuts, but f**k it, lets just enjoy it. 

Fantastic day out yesterday. Couple of pints in town before making the very good decision o jump in a taxi up to the stadium. 

Definitely not the best game of football ever with two very even sides cancelling each other out for large parts. As others have said a moment of magic was the difference on the day as it often is in this type of game.

Cracking away support and an outstanding atmosphere from start to finish. The connection between the club/players and the fans is like nothing I’ve ever known in 30 years supporting Rovers.

The shed is a cracking old stand but holy f**k the facilities are awful. No running water in the toilets and one of them was actually overflowing with pish.

Bad luck to the young team who missed the train back to Kirkcaldy because they stopped to buy buckfast and md 20/20 for the journey.

Congratulations to Raith, a close match but an excellent goal deserving of the three points.

I didn’t think there was much between the two sides but your guys seem to have a desire that is lacking in many of our players.  That desire might be what determines the final outcome of the season though there’s obviously a long way to go.

From a United perspective Moult has been off the boil for weeks and we have no natural alternative for that role.  Taking Fotheringham off was a mistake IMO, he might have not been having his best game but he’s the player most likely to score at the moment.

No fans of other teams had any interest in Rovers’ playing budget whatsoever when we paid a fee (!) for Ethan Ross, brought in Jamie Gullan from Hibs and signed Sam Stanton on a 2-and-a-half-year deal in 2021/22, among others. Yet now we’re top of the league…

It’ll be interesting to see our financial reports for this year but considering the major increase in attendances and apparent uptick in sponsorship/commercial/catering then I’d imagine they’ll balance out pretty well.

I don’t have a problem with anyone claiming we have a good budget for this level, we do. It’ll be nowhere near Dundee United’s though so to be ahead of them at this stage, when they themselves have had a very strong start, is a great effort.

We also won’t be paying massive wages compared to other sides, we’ll definitely be in the top 4 I’d imagine (as you’d expect given our crowds) but any talk of us having the second biggest budget by a distance is nonsense.

I also find it funny when some Pars fans (not Salvo tbf, he generally seems one of the best Dunfermline posters) claim we are spending huge unsustainable sums on players when they were lining up all summer to tell us Dabrowski was pish, they wouldn’t take Euan Murray back ahead of their current centre backs, Callum Smith was never good enough for this level and there’s no way Shaun Byrne turned them down because they didn’t have any need for him. Now, apparently we’re only doing so well because we have loads of players we can’t afford and everyone expected us to be up there…