Perth Fermers v Leith Lotharios - 3pm 16th Dec

Well done Saints. better team by a proverbial. We seem to give other teams those kind of chances about 4 times a game and have escaped punishment up until now. Marshall had a great game which kept the score respectable. We missed Newel big time as he's the only midfielder we've got that will try and take control when things aren't happening, 

The Saints midfield now has the right balance of quality, creativity and tenacity that we need. Defence looks well organised and solid and squad as a whole looks to have a real togetherness and fitness that was maybe lacking earlier this season.

Was pretty disappointed by Hibs, thought they'd be better. The playing it out from the back was clearly not working and had no plan b.

Special mention for an utterly minging referee performance. Many poor decisions for both sides, but the frankly laughable giving an offside against Saints, but letting Hibs take the free kick from 5 yards into the Saints half! 🙈 

19 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Special mention for an utterly minging referee performance. Many poor decisions for both sides, but the frankly laughable giving an offside against Saints, but letting Hibs take the free kick from 5 yards into the Saints half! 🙈 

That's one of the stupid rule changes in recent years. Rather than in the past, when the free kick was taken from where the offside attacker was when the pass was made, it's now taken from where the attacker is when he's deemed to have become active, even if that's in his own half. Bizarre stuff.

Should have been more comfortable than it was, but enjoyed the performance for the most part anyway. 

When Gallagher first arrived I thought he looked decent and was unfortunate to get the leg break that curtailed his progress. He's since had to bide his time after Montgomery being pretty good and then Robinson being even better. However, he appears to be taking the chance to re-establish himself now and will hopefully only continue to improve. Same goes for Max, really flourishing at the moment and should have scored his 2nd chance today. 

Not much needs said about Fran, what a prospect he is. More than deserved his moment at the end. 

Wasn't his best game, but Phillips looks so good in there with the always excellent Smith. For two shorter lads, the don't lose much in the midfield battleground and can both turn it on when required. 

I've not posted in many match threads this season, but I'm struggling to recall a time over the last few seasons when I've felt this positive about most aspects of the team. Maybe it's because Hibs were poor, but we made them so. Levein has done wonders in no time, long may it continue. 

6 minutes ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

Should have been more comfortable than it was, but enjoyed the performance for the most part anyway. 

When Gallagher first arrived I thought he looked decent and was unfortunate to get the leg break that curtailed his progress. He's since had to bide his time after Montgomery being pretty good and then Robinson being even better. However, he appears to be taking the chance to re-establish himself now and will hopefully only continue to improve. Same goes for Max, really flourishing at the moment and should have scored his 2nd chance today. 

Not much needs said about Fran, what a prospect he is. More than deserved his moment at the end. 

Wasn't his best game, but Phillips looks so good in there with the always excellent Smith. For two shorter lads, the don't lose much in the midfield battleground and can both turn it on when required. 

I've not posted in many match threads this season, but I'm struggling to recall a time over the last few seasons when I've felt this positive about most aspects of the team. Maybe it's because Hibs were poor, but we made them so. Levein has done wonders in no time, long may it continue. 

Phillips has the opposite of the Bair Syndrome. he becomes about 7ft in an aerial battle. One of our best players every week and has come on massively the last couple years.

Starting to really warm to this team, certainly feel like I'm watching a Saints team again after a couple of years in the doldrums. Real togetherness, experience and a bit of encouragement from the current management team to for the players to express themselves is bringing out real signs of quality too now. We were missing a lot of our key players today - no Considine, Wright, Macpherson (I know), Kane or Clark from the start. 4 of those guys likely would've started if fully fit - and we battered the team who started the day in 4th. 

I was really shocked a player with 19 caps for Wales by the age of 22 was available to us in the summer, until I read some of the feedback from MK Dons fans, at which point I felt a bit flat about it. Smith has been terrific since the change of manager though, looks a real find for us and is about as well rounded a midfielder as I've seen play for us for a while. There was one point in the first half where he won the ball back, made space for himself away from a couple of Hibs players then threaded the needle through to Kucheriavyi who was running at (I think) an exposed Hanlon. Just felt that sums him up his capabilities and roundedness really well, plus his set piece delivery from the left is terrific. 

I think we have about 16 or 17 good players with a couple of others starting to look like they can step up for us too. If Levein can maybe improve the options at the wing back and add a bit more in the final third I think there's a lot of potential for this team, all the ingredients that lead to huge success for that golden decade are there again, just a matter of putting some final touches to the squad now we have a capable management team. 

4 minutes ago, GorbalsMags said:

Phillips has the opposite of the Bair Syndrome. he becomes about 7ft in an aerial battle. One of our best players every week and has come on massively the last couple years.

Dan Phillips is one of the strangest players I've ever seen play for us. He does the hard parts of the game brilliantly then will casually pass the ball out of play when he's got a simple 5 yard pass available to him. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I've never really seen a player with his skill set before 

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Dan Phillips is one of the strangest players I've ever seen play for us. He does the hard parts of the game brilliantly then will casually pass the ball out of play when he's got a simple 5 yard pass available to him. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but I've never really seen a player with his skill set before 

Every player at this level has something wrong with them, especially if they are at a team like us, so I'm more than willing to accept him sclaffing the odd pass when his general standard of play is so good and useful to the team.

34 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I thought Phillips was absolutely sensational today. Looking fitter by the week and just a colossus in the middle. 

Imo Phillips need to avoid an early booking to get the best out of him. He was a destroyer today but credit to Matt Smith too who broke up alot of Hibs play also. 

The more I see of this team the more it just looks like a Tommy Wright team. We are a RWB and a decent forward away from being a real handful for opponents.

Think Max is growing every week also. A little refinement to his finishing and with the positions he seems to ghost into, he could easily grab 6/8 goals. 

Shout out to Liam Gordon who seems to have rediscovered some form .

Quite amazing that Macca frozen McGowan out for not being a team player!!! 

Havent seen any of this on account of being out on the lash all day yesterday - however that looks like a cracking win for St Johnstone.

From everything I have read, our defence was again porous - I think we have one of the worst goals against records in the league - something we desperately need to improve on in January.

Ho, fucking Ho

The Grinch Film GIF by The Good Films

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Havent seen any of this on account of being out on the lash all day yesterday - however that looks like a cracking win for St Johnstone.

From everything I have read, our defence was again porous - I think we have one of the worst goals against records in the league - something we desperately need to improve on in January.

Ho, fucking Ho

The Grinch Film GIF by The Good Films

I'd say from an opposition point of view, the hibs defence is a real weakness. Really need a no nonsense defender in there to keep it together a bit.

The insistence on playing it out from the back every time is admirable, but you have to have the players with the ability to do it and all Saints did was sit back and not get sucked into it, unless there was a stray pass, which is exactly what happened for the goal.

Defence is weak and the constant passing out from the back made them one dimensional and easy for us to play/defend against. Loads of good attacking players on the pitch for Hibs yesterday and none were really involved in the game