Raith Rovers vs Ayr United, 22 Dec

A nice wee Christmas warmup, but a cold night in Stark’s Park, with a potentially gusty west wind and light rain/snow showers forecast.

The Rovers are on an absolute roll, by Ayr seems to have possibly steadied the ship with a win against Airdrie. The only problem is Ayr haven’t shown well against teams outside the top half, but on the other hand, Raith haven’t beat Airdrie this season. Should be an interesting managerial puzzle, but I’ll plump for a 2-1 Rovers win…I’d say more, but we don’t roll that way.

2 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Aye a point in the right direction to the road hame 😂😂😂

Best team in the league at home under the lights in front of a bumper crowd a couple of days before Christmas against relegation fodder - this can only point to the Super Ayr scoring early and then hanging on for a massive 3 points in front of about 50 away fans 

22 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Best team in the league at home under the lights in front of a bumper crowd a couple of days before Christmas against relegation fodder - this can only point to the Super Ayr scoring early and then hanging on for a massive 3 points in front of about 50 away fans 

Now that wouldn't surprise me in the least, you've got form with us for doing that lol

Before the Airdrie game our next four games comprised of them, Raith, Dunfermline and Morton. I had it in my head that Airdrie and Morton were games we needed to win and we would then need some sort of positive result between the Raith and Dunfermline games. Based on the game at Somerset I think we’re well capable of getting something here but Raith have obviously gone from strength to strength since then. The one thing I’ve noticed is they don’t really kill games off. Maybe it’s something they can’t do or they like to keep games exciting. Either way I think this’ll be tight. I’d be keeping the team pretty much what it was although if Murphy isn’t fit I’d have Amartey in his place and I’d like to see Smith or Syla in place of McGeady. 

Don't really need to kill games off when all you need to do to go 5 points clear is score one more than the other team tbh. 

(I'll probably never regret enjoying this night, but just incase) 

Spent a fantastic weekend in Ayr in October and think they're thoroughly good people through that way. 

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

The one thing I’ve noticed is they don’t really kill games off. Maybe it’s something they can’t do or they like to keep games exciting. Either way I think this’ll be tight.

Ya think? Current results are 12 one goal wins, 3 draws and 1 one goal loss…for a sparkling +11 GD…it really shouldn’t last, but…

Yet another important game, as they all are now. Exactly the type where complacency can creep in and you get found out if you’re not at your best. We’ve seen it so many times where a team wins a huge game celebrates opening an advantage and then follows it up with dropped points. 

Ayr’s results actually seem to be better away from home so this will be a tricky game. If we’re at our best we should win but anything less and we won’t, as we saw against Airdrie. I would bite your hand off right now for another one goal win.

However, I should add to the above that this side have shown no sign of complacency yet this season and we have been playing well in recent weeks (Arbroath aside). 2 upcoming home games against Ayr and Arbroath offers a good opportunity to put ourselves in a strong position going into the New Year, fingers crossed we can put in a couple of good performances and take advantage.

Another massive game for us. Hugely important for us to get the win with United playing a really poor Queens Park at the same time.

This is exactly the type of game we would’ve slipped up in previously but there genuinely seems to be something different this season. Ayr will be confident after a good win yesterday but if we play anywhere close to our best we should have too much for them.

After playing 6 of our last 7 games away from home (and winning all of them) it’s good to have a couple of home games. Hopefully get a good support in for both as the players deserve it. 
Genuinely gutted that I’ll miss this game as I’m flying to Turkey on Friday morning but I’m sure some winter sun (hopefully) and all inclusive drinks (definitely) will make up for it a little. Will definitely find a way to watch it too.